Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m a sucker for dungeon crawls. I have most of the huge tons-of-minis, lots-of-board-tiles, RPG-like characters, multi-scenario campaign games.

Given that Legends Untold is “just” a card game, I didn’t have high expectations but it looked interesting and it was reasonably priced at a fraction of the huge mini dungeon crawlers so I backed it.

Now I’ve only played twice, but I am stunned by how awesome this game is!

It really feels like a party dungeon crawl RPG. Most of the usual types of events and decisions are there. Building characters, sneaking, deciding which way to go, having an adventure goal (with LOTS of scenarios to pick from), obstacles, encounters, skill tests, combat, loot, etc. Even a episodic campaign.

All in a small box that plays in a reasonable amount of time.

Stunning experience.

The rules are lengthy, but well organized and logically explained. There are a few questions, but fairly easily solved. I dislike the idea of learning a game by following an example of play, so I ignored that and dove into the rules, which are long and complex, but certainly learnable. I find just following along in the rules as I played learning turns worked great. There are lots of references to needed rules at the right spots. The rule book is obviously well thought out and organized.

The components are good. Not great maybe, but certainly not poor. I’d rather have this sort of game than to spend twice as much money for a pimped out deluxe version that plays the same.

The map cards are awesome and you can see the dungeon randomly grow before you. If I were to deluxify one component it would be a small 3D mini for the party marker.

Having only four occupations for a four player game seems a bit limiting and I find myself wishing there were more. Of course with the other set we end up with eight to choose from, but six per box would have been nice.

Things like the Readiness Tracker and reference cards show how they really wanted to include good player aids to help with the complexity. For the most part they work well. And on their website the Guide for Novice Adventurers provides flow charts for the procedures as well. A lot of care and love went into this production and it shows.

I need more games to have more opinions as to the specifics of play. But so far I am highly impressed and wanted to pause before my next play to voice how glad I am that I backed this on Kickstarter and to wish them the best of success with this truly remarkable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For additional characters there are also the druid and alchemist 'Boosters'. They aren't booster packs like in CCGs more like mini-expansions. I don't know the price point for them since they came with the pledge that gives you both base sets. They also come with wo scenarios each I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel very much the same way about this game... Love it!

I would add, that this has a very different feel than a lot of dungeon crawls that start off with average to low "superheroes" and end with killing machines. Legends Untold (the Novice sets of Cave or Sewers) starts you off with weak/average "folks" and while they grow and upgrade some...they stay as weak/average heroes.... only "super" in that they are braving these dangers for their people. While this isn't hugely story driven, I can certainly imagine being there ... (that feeling I used to get playing D&D back in the day...(and I'm old)).

Nice first impressions... nice game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russonc wrote:
(that feeling I used to get playing D&D back in the day...(and I'm old)).

THIS! Well said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Have a look at the flowchart player aids here to make sure you are not missing anything - really helped me

https://www.inspiringgames.com/legends-untold-download-centr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Have a look at the flowchart player aids here to make sure you are not missing anything - really helped me

https://www.inspiringgames.com/legends-untold-download-centr...

One of the first things I did! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.