Subject: Optional Iron Clad rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Klein
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the most frustrating things as playing as the southern player is getting multiple iron clads as reinforcements and not completing them. I was thinking that as an optional rule perhaps the iron clad completion roll should be change to the following:

When when the southern player makes their completion roll, they modify the roll by the number of uncompleted iron clads. But the roll would need to be a 6+ to be successful. So if they have one ironclad under construction then the roll would still be the same results a 5 or 6 would complete it. But lets say they have 2 iron clads under construction so now a roll of 4,5, or 6 would complete one. And so on...

What is everyone's thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would be historically problematic. It essentially would assume the resources necessary to complete Ironclads would have become more abundant if the Confederacy pursued more of them simultaneously. If anything, I feel the opposite would have been true.

This said, I would offer an alternative house rule to consider to deal with your frustration:

Allow an Any Card to be spent to complete an Ironclad. It would be spent at the time of and in place of the Ironclad completion roll on those turns in which the Confderate Player would like to do so.

This said, I think the game has it best as is. Richmond and even Theater commanders did't really drive ironclad completion. It usually happened due to near heroic action by the local officer charged with the task. As a result, I think it is better for this to be largely out of the control of players despite the frustration associated with it. This said, I feel the house rule I offer above would be a reasonable way of simulating Richmond deciding to make completion of a particular ironclad a national priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Matcheck
msg tools
....perhaps trade one SP to complete an already under construction iron clad in the reinforcement phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Klein
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
I can certainly understand wanting to limit the player control. In my current game I am on turn 6 and have 4 uncompleted iron clads. 2 in the same state. Perhaps if the user would get a second uncompleted iron clad in a single state they can opt to complete the one currently under construction instead of starting a second. It would still limit the number completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

I like Jim's house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.