Subject: How useful is disabling my adblocker? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dirk stouten
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey,

I don't want to start a discussion about the how and why of an adblocker but my standard behaviour (on all sites) is to always use an adblocker. That's why I didn't even realize (in the beginning) that BGG allows ads.

How useful is it for BGG to disable my adblocker? Is it worth it to see all clutter of ads between the info I'm looking for?

I even see ads that have nothing to do with games (clothes, travelling), but well, if it helps BGG I could try to ingore it.

In other words, is it a great benefit to BGG to disable my adblocker?

Cheers,
Dirk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG will love the funding.
You get a cool patron badge.
You do not see any ads and can create an custom, useful starting page of BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dirk stouten
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was talking about a non-bgg adblocker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clarke
msg tools
Grasshopper walks into a bar. Bartender says "hey, you know we have a drink named after you?"
badge
Grasshopper looks surprised and says "You have a drink named Stan?"
mb
BGG provides a service and they provide that service from a couple revenue streams. One is where we pay to support them (and have the option to disable ads), the other is to show you advertisements and the advertiser is picking up the tab for your views.

Using a 3rd party ad blocker denies them both streams of revenue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dirk stouten
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
livevyne wrote:
Using a 3rd party ad blocker denies them both streams of revenue.

Ok, adblocker disabled!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
livevyne wrote:
... the advertiser is picking up the tab for your views.

This is news to me. I always thought that, aside from whatever fee is paid to BGG, it was only clickthroughs that actually cost the advertisers more (generated revenue). Is there some way in which page views with the ads visible and page views with the ads hidden (by a 3rd party) are distinguished, such that the advertiser pays for the former and not the latter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clarke
msg tools
Grasshopper walks into a bar. Bartender says "hey, you know we have a drink named after you?"
badge
Grasshopper looks surprised and says "You have a drink named Stan?"
mb
While I haven't bought ads on BGG, digital advertisements are most typically sold based on impressions, or the number of times the ad is shown.

Click-throughs are used as a metric to determine how well a particular ad is performing, but the cost the ad campaign tends to rely on the number of times the ad is seen.

Javascript is used to deliver ads to the page, and third party ad blockers work by preventing that Javascript from executing. Since the ad never loads, no revenue is collected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
BGG ads are sold by the impression as Jason said. But you buy them upfront in set amounts and BGG delivers them over the period of time you specify. If too many people run adblockers it limits the total ads they can sell thus the revenue they can collect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dirk stouten
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have to say that disabling my adblocker isn't that bad on BGG.

Learning a lot about board games. I just don't have to click too much on the buy button...ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.