Subject: RedJak's Automated Imperial - Expanded rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nol Dorion
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I’m creating another thread for RedJak’s Automated Imperial Variant, since both RedJak and Frenchie had to step down. First, many thanks to RedJak for coming up with this variant and to Frenchie for continuing it – all credit goes to them, I’m merely expanding on their work. Many thanks also to ilujito, who designed the newer mission cards, calculated Ranges and helped a lot with reworking and fine-tuning the AI cards and running ideas back and forth.

What’s RAIV?
Redjak’s Automated Imperial Variant is a solo/coop variant for Imperial Assault. Using RAIV, players no longer need an Imperial Player. Instead, the job of the Imperial Player is handed over to a variety of Event cards, while Imperial figures act according to simple AI instructions.

Grab the rulebook here.

I know RAIV already, what’s new in RAIV Expanded?
If you’ve already played RedJak’s and Frenchie’s RAIV version, things will be pretty familiar. This is what has changed:
- All missing expansions and ally/villain packs are included.
- New design and layout for all cards and the rulebook.
- Some reworking and fine-tuning of mission cards.
- Restructuring, fine-tuning and clarification of the rules, including changes in terminology to harmonize RAIV with Legends of the Alliance.
- Revision of maximum attack range.
- Complete overhaul of movement and attack rules to get them in line with the app and make Imperial figures more flexible and efficient.
- More difficulty adjustments.

What’s the difference between RAIV and Legends of the Alliance?
RAIV and Legends of the Alliance have some similar elements and essentially cover the same playstyles – namely, being able to play a fully cooperative campaign. While Legends of the Alliance offers custom campaigns designed for the app, though, RAIV works with every Imperial Assault mission. With RAIV, you can use all your Imperial Assault content and play any campaign you like, including side missions, non-linear hero advancement and so on. Also, naturally RAIV doesn’t require the use of a device to run an app. (Although a device can be used if you don’t want to print all the cards out.)

What do you need?
To play RAIV, you need the Imperial Assault core set as well as any expansions you want to use. Furthermore, you need the RAIV rules and a printed set of RAIV cards. There are 6 types of cards:

Event cards are based on Imperial Class cards and add random events to each round to make things tougher for the Rebels.
Imperial Agenda cards are based on Agenda cards and add additional events that are harmful to the Rebels.
Rebel Aid cards add events that are beneficial to the Rebels.
AI cards are available for each unit in the game and provide simple instructions for what actions the unit takes when it is activated.
Mission cards are available for each mission in the game and provide information on missions, goals, and how to resolve mission events.
Attention cards represent the growing attention of the Empire and are used in a variant to adjust difficulty.

All can be downloaded from this Google Drive:

RAIV Expanded

Cards are available in two formats: “Single Cards” with every card as a single page, and “A4 PDF”, with nine cards arranged on an A4 page with the corresponding card backsides for easy printing.

Mod for Tabletop Simulator
RAIV features over 300 cards now. This is quite a lot. If you don’t want to print them all out, just print the Event, Imperial Agenda, and Rebel Aid decks. These are the decks you need to manipulate and shuffle. The AI and Mission cards can be accessed from your phone, tablet, or computer.

But even that is a lot of cards, so if you just want to try it out, or wait for a corrected version, you can use a virtual version of the cards with Tabletop Simulator. Grab Tabletop Simulator here, and the Steam Workshop Mod here.

Compatibility
RAIV is compatible with every expansion, ally and villain pack released so far. Since no more physical expansions are planned at the moment, it’s complete. If any more expansions are released, we’ll do our best to include them.

Help and suggestions needed
Any suggestions and corrections are welcome. I’ve added a document for that right here. Just click on the tabs in the lower part of the page and fill in your suggestions – or just write them in this thread.

Translations
A French version called RAIV Extended by ilujito can be found here.

Have fun!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nol Dorion
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In this post, I will keep track of all updates done to the files. Check the suggestion document for more details.

Change Log:

2019-05-17
ilujito uploaded a French version here

2019-04-21
Uploaded v1 of RAIV Expanded
Uploaded v1 of RAIV Expanded Mod for Tabletop Simulator

Upcoming:
- High-quality pictures of the cards for professional printing (ETA: about two months after more playtesting and feedback)

Planning stage:
- French translation by ilujito (no ETA)
- German translation by Noldorion (no ETA)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news. Thanks for taking this on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Green
Canada
flag msg tools
Wow! This looks great! I really like the new look of the cards and manual! I can't wait to get this printed. Fantastic Job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to try this as I want to get more out of my IA purchases.

Bravo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qutu
msg tools
Lucha y fiesta
badge
So fly...!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Work!

Which Sleeve size?

FantasyFlightSuplly green and yellow or are the cards bigger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nol Dorion
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The cards are 57x89 mm as the other large IA cards, so I think the green FFG sleeves should work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qutu
msg tools
Lucha y fiesta
badge
So fly...!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the rules in the moment.
Quote:

When it’s the Imperial AI’s turn, it activates Deployment
groups in order from left to right.

Very predictable. I think a simple randomization is no problem.

Quote:
Individual figures within the group will be activated starting
with the figure closest to a hero or priority target.

That is optimal for Jyn and Quick Draw. Usually the figures have numbers. 1/2/3. So here a randomization is easy to apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone. Total newbie here. In fact I've never actually played Imperial assault yet. I plan on playing this game with my group of four. But we would like to play it using these rules instead of having someone be the Imperial player. So thank you for all the hard work that is obviously gone into this. My question is: can these rules be used to play the campaign that's in the Box in the corset? How do you handle the storyline and surprises? Again sorry if this is a stupid question as I am a complete newb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qutu
msg tools
Lucha y fiesta
badge
So fly...!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
RANDOM DEPLOYMENT GROUP ACTIVATION
(+DIFFICULTY):
When activating a Deployment group at the start of
an Imperial AI turn, gather the Imperial AI cards for
all Deployment groups that have not yet activated
this round and shuffle them together. Draw one card
to determine which Deployment group will activate
that turn. If there are multiple Deployment groups
of the same name for the card drawn, determine one
randomly.

Okay i see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nol Dorion
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hundreds wrote:
Hey everyone. Total newbie here. In fact I've never actually played Imperial assault yet. I plan on playing this game with my group of four. But we would like to play it using these rules instead of having someone be the Imperial player. So thank you for all the hard work that is obviously gone into this. My question is: can these rules be used to play the campaign that's in the Box in the corset? How do you handle the storyline and surprises? Again sorry if this is a stupid question as I am a complete newb.

Hi Jason,

you definitely should play Imperial Assault

Yes, you can use RAIV to play the Core Game campaign. In fact, you can also play every other campaign or mission released so far, and with only a little more work you can even play every fan-made mission.

Of course, using RAIV, the surprise factor is a bit reduced. You're only allowed to read the Setup rules and the Mission Briefing, you aren't allowed to read any further mission text until the event occurs. To help you with this, RAIV features "mission cards" with a short summary, a few hints and information on event triggers.

So you don't know what's going to happen, but you know more than when playing with an Imperial Player - for example, you already know the map, the deployment points, the deployment groups and the event triggers. You know when stuff is going to happen, but not what.

As you play the mission, once an event is triggered, you're allowed to read the event text, but still no further than that. So the information is revealed bit by bit.

The way my group plays it, by the way, is with one player (usually me, since I know the mission cards already, anyway) taking over any administrative aspect of the Imperial Player: Setting up the map, reading event texts, checking triggers, collecting deployment cards. This way, all the other players know absolutely nothing about the mission. This works excellently, especially if you switch up the roles between the missions, with each new mission being administrated by another player.

Hope that answered your question. If you have any more, just ask.

@Qutu: I wanted to tell you about the optional random deployment rules, but you found it yourself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noldorion wrote:
hundreds wrote:

Hi Jason,

you definitely should play Imperial Assault

Yes, you can use RAIV to play the Core Game campaign. In fact, you can also play every other campaign or mission released so far, and with only a little more work you can even play every fan-made mission.

Of course, using RAIV, the surprise factor is a bit reduced. You're only allowed to read the Setup rules and the Mission Briefing, you aren't allowed to read any further mission text until the event occurs. To help you with this, RAIV features "mission cards" with a short summary, a few hints and information on event triggers.

So you don't know what's going to happen, but you know more than when playing with an Imperial Player - for example, you already know the map, the deployment points, the deployment groups and the event triggers. You know when stuff is going to happen, but not what.

As you play the mission, once an event is triggered, you're allowed to read the event text, but still no further than that. So the information is revealed bit by bit.

The way my group plays it, by the way, is with one player (usually me, since I know the mission cards already, anyway) taking over any administrative aspect of the Imperial Player: Setting up the map, reading event texts, checking triggers, collecting deployment cards. This way, all the other players know absolutely nothing about the mission. This works excellently, especially if you switch up the roles between the missions, with each new mission being administrated by another player.

Hope that answered your question. If you have any more, just ask.

@Qutu: I wanted to tell you about the optional random deployment rules, but you found it yourself

Just wanted to jump in and say that I did the same with my family group, I handled all the setup and triggers etc plus ran the AI and it was a great experience and I would totally do it again. Well worth it in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is awesome! I just recently purchased IA and was having a blast with the app but then ended up super bummed because the core game ended after 4 missions. I bought the Bespin Gambit as well but then found out it's not really in the app besides just using the figures.

Is there a PrinterStudio file available for this varient? I was trying to do it myself but every time I tried to upload the PDF files it was saying "The following type not allow upload: "[Any PDF card file name here]""

Any kind of link, advice, help, or instructions would be much appreciated and thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nol Dorion
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Chris!

There's no PrinterStudio file yet, since I wanted to wait until I got some more feedback and finalized the cards. I suggest just printing out the A4 cards on a regular printer and sleeving them for the time.

If you want to print it out via PrinterStudio, though, I can provide you with single pictures of every card. Those can be uploaded to PrinterStudio, although it's a bit of work. Just send me a Geekmail if you're interested in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Okay, I’ll just print them on the regular paper and learn it while I wait. Thank you for the reply and all the work your doing Nol. It is very much appreciated from my wife and I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
ItsJustChris wrote:
I just recently purchased IA and was having a blast with the app but then ended up super bummed because the core game ended after 4 missions.

The Flight of the Freedom Fighter campaign is 5 missions long like all of the app campaigns. However, you don't get the "actual" first mission if you play either of the tutorials and continue the campaign. If you start the FoFF campaign without tutorial, then you get the first mission as well.

(There are Jabba's Realm and Return to Hoth campaigns in the app now.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R8tzi

Germany/Augsburg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noldorion wrote:
)
- German translation by Noldorion (no ETA)

Wow! Very GREAT Work and News!! I am very interested in it, because especially my English and that of my playgroup is not good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gino Villeneuve
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the great work!! I'm new to Imperial Assault, buying all the big boxes extensions , cant wait to try this out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles94
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,
Good work.
I suppose that translation will begin when text are quite stabilized.
If you need any help about french translation, I think I can do some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Monteil
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artignac wrote:
Hi,
Good work.
I suppose that translation will begin when text are quite stabilized.
If you need any help about french translation, I think I can do some.

Hi Artignac,
Thanks a lot for your offer.
As I already did the translation of the previous version and as I worked closely with Noldorion on this one, I actually won't need any help, 95% being already translated.
Noldorion and I will keep you posted as soon as it's available.
Cheers,
ilu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles94
France
flag msg tools
mb
Bravo pour le boulot déjà fait.

Au plaisir d'avoir des news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne BEUREUX
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just subscribed to this thread, really excited to see what's coming for this variant !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles94
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,
just a question on Events on mission.

For example in the first mission Aftermath : you have 2 events (Fortified and Lockdown). In the back of this card, you have only the event Lockdown.

Where to found the event Fortified ? In the campaign book ?

Mistake on A4 pdf Mission on the core mission the first page and first row there is a misplacement of cards back (Aftermath back should be on the right)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nol Dorion
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't have the campaign book available right now, but usually, an event is only listed in more detail if there is some decision to be made by the AI. If an event simply plays out in a linear manner, you just refer to the campaign book. I assume this is the case here.

And thanks for pointing out the mistake, I'll change it in the update!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles94
France
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.