Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like my family is finally going to make the leap and get a flat screen TV. I've always resisted because from what I've seen at my friends houses I'm not always crazy about the image.

It's short notice because we're going in a few hours but can anyone tell me which flat screen is the closest to a traditional tubed TV image-wise.

Thanks! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean by ‘picture quality’, although if you mean that weird ‘makes everything look like a soap opera’ thing - that’s just a setting you can turn off. Apparently some people like that. Nothing to do with it being a flat screen or not - just look for ‘motion smoothing’ or ‘frame interpolation’ or something like that and turn it off. USUALLY most newer displays will have an outright ‘game mode’ you can enable that disables ALL processing effects. See if you can get them to demo it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
that weird ‘makes everything look like a soap opera’ thing - that’s just a setting you can turn off.

Thanks! This was my concern. That setting literally makes TV unwatchable for me.

I'll keep all those settings in mind.

Thanks again! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
skullchrist wrote:
which flat screen is the closest to a traditional tubed TV image-wise.

Some beat up model that isn't working correctly?

It may take a few days to get used to the new picture quality, but once you do I'll be shocked if you aren't wondering why you waited to long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second that. When we first got a new TV it bothered me. Occasionally, people will comment about it being odd, but after a few days I never notice. Now I notice how unclear other TV's are, when I am out and about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That feature is done by the TV filling in information that isn't there, isn't it? So it doesn't make the image clearer so much as create new vision that the makers never intended. Also it's a feature of newer HD flatscreens. My HD flatscreen (now getting on for.... 10 years old? I don't know) doesn't have it.

I also loathe it - it's very distracting to me, and, yes, I stayed with relatives who had it on for a couple of weeks, and did not get used to it. It's cold, and sharp, and not all films/programs are meant to be like that in the first place.

The one thing it is good for is sport, which I think it was designed for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
False dichotomy.

You don't have to choose between a cathode ray tube television and a flat screen. You can have it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The hardest part of becoming a self-made man has got to be creating your own DNA sequences.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Not sure what you mean by ‘picture quality’, although if you mean that weird ‘makes everything look like a soap opera’ thing - that’s just a setting you can turn off.

This.

When you go look at different models in the store, be sure to ask them about setting the picture quality to your liking. The remote should have a "Menu" button that lets you set a whole host of adjustments through an interactive menu. Usually the top one will be Picture Quality, and you can set it for 'Movie', 'Sports', 'Home', and so forth, although every brand will probably have different names for those settings.

You can also get really detailed by setting things like Contrast, White Balance, Color Saturation, and so forth, but I only did that on our 'Home' setting, which is what we leave it on all the time. I found it's too much trouble to change the Picture Quality for every different thing we watch. Set it and forget it, is my motto.

Hint for adjusting color balance: I always tune to a Kansas City Chiefs home football game, if possible. I adjust the color until the red of their jerseys isn't glowing, and looks fairly natural. (Pittsburg Steelers home yellow jerseys would probably work also.) Once that looks good, pretty much everything else you look at is good, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This thread got me thinking so I wanted to read up on what all the new options on TV's really are. So I found this article which I hope the OP (and anyone else) might find helpful.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/tv-buying-guide,review-1943.htm...

Edit: Like to add the article states the soap opera look is because of this:

Quote:
The refresh rate, expressed in Hertz (Hz) describes how many times per second a picture is refreshed on the screen. The standard refresh rate is 60 times per second, or 60 Hz. However, in scenes with rapidly moving objects, a 60 Hz refresh rate can make things look blurry or jittery, particularly on LCD HDTVs. So, to create a more solid picture, manufacturers doubled the refresh rate to 120 Hz (and in some cases up to 240 Hz).

Since there aren't that many per-second images in original video content, TVs handle the faster refresh rates in different ways. One method is to simply insert black images between the original pictures, tricking the viewer's eyes into seeing a less blurry, more solid picture. Another technique is to generate and insert new images — showing a state of movement in between the two adjacent pictures — to display more realistic-looking motion. However, depending on how the video-processing is done, it can make a movie or sitcom look flat, or as if it were a poorly lit, old-time soap opera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Not sure what you mean by ‘picture quality’, although if you mean that weird ‘makes everything look like a soap opera’ thing - that’s just a setting you can turn off. Apparently some people like that. Nothing to do with it being a flat screen or not - just look for ‘motion smoothing’ or ‘frame interpolation’ or something like that and turn it off. USUALLY most newer displays will have an outright ‘game mode’ you can enable that disables ALL processing effects. See if you can get them to demo it that way.

The tricky part is every brand calls that setting something different. It’s good for sports and... that’s it, it makes everything else look terrible. This link should help:

www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/soap-opera-effect-tom-cruise-wa..." rel="nofollow">https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lord, you couldn't even give away old CRT tvs in like 2008...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a flatscreen 10 years ago. I researched then what I should look for, and the most common answer was: go to the store and choose one of which you like the image the most. I discovered that what I found most important was "number of simultaneous colors". Many TVs (at least at that time) only showed something like 1000-2000 simultaneous colors, assuming that people would not see the difference between that and more, but you get those nagging lines in skies and such. The one that I liked most had (IIRC) 5000 simultaneous colors. And that did not make it more expensive or anything: price is mostly determined by size. People are willing to pay more for bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses!

We went to Best Buy yesterday but they were closed for Easter so I get to spend a little more time with my old TV. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Measure the distance from your couch to the TV. There’s an equation that’ll help you determine the size of screen you need. Most Best Buy employees know it and should help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
erak wrote:
Measure the distance from your couch to the TV. There’s an equation that’ll help you determine the size of screen you need. Most Best Buy employees know it and should help.

Calculate this distance in inches, then divide by 3. This is the optimal TV screen (on the diagonal) size (in inches) to look for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just bought a new tv this past winter before the super bowl. Some things to take note on:

- The "soap opera" effect is something you'll see in stores to make every tv look incredible but many stations don't even broadcast in that level of definition so you'll likely never see it at home.

- Biggest exception you'll notice the "HD" effect is with BluRay movies. Again though, this is something you can adjust for and many newer style tvs would allow you to change the view settings with a touch of a button as opposed to having to dig around in menus trying every time you wanted to watch a movie.

- Best time to buy a tv is right after Christmas and before Super Bowl. Many people return gifted tvs that work fine but it's the wrong size or type. During this time you'll often find extreme savings on these open box items. We walked out with a much bigger and higher quality model for the same price as the model we had researched (same model even). They even gave us a terrific deal on a mount for the same reason.

- If you're buying it and taking it home yourself without installation, note that you need to keep these new style tvs upright. No laying flat in the back of a pickup truck. You'll actually break the darn thing before you leave the parking lot by doing that.

- Do your research on the jargon. Many companies all use different terminology for the same dang technology and make you think that what they are doing is somehow unique because of a splashy name. Look over this guide, it's a good one and talks about things that you might not even be considering at this point.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/tv-buying-guide,review-1943.htm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I say just pick up one of those fancy new TVs that have a VCR and DVD player built into the bottom. Also, be sure to pick up that LaserDisc player - it's going to be amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.