Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortune Teller Card 'Schadenfreude' wrote:
If your pot explodes in this round, the player to your left gets any one 2-chip.

Is this an end-of-round effect, meaning: only after all players have finished their round, the players sitting to the left of a player whose pot has exploded that round get to choose a 2-chip and add it to their bag (so that these chosen chips won't come into play until the next round)?

Or is this effect supposed to happen immediately in the instant a player's pot explodes (so that these chips will be added to the half-emptied bags of players who are still "in the process of brewing" and would then be able to draw and use that new 2-chip in the very same round)?

The tense used on this blue Fortune Teller Card seems to imply the latter (as it doesn't say "if your pot exploded this round,...") - however, this could lead to confusing/unclear situations if players aren't drawing their tiles simultaneously (in the way suggested for the last round of playm as written on the last page of the rulebook).

So how do you handle/interpret this card? And is there any official clarification?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always interpreted this to be an end-of-round effect, such that any chip gained this way would only come in to play next round (like gaining a pumpkin from the bonus die roll).

As you noted, to interpret it the other way simply incentivizes players to purposely slow their play in order to increase their chances of benefiting — and that feels very against the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think this makes most sense as an end-of-round effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Drewbacca"
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there's a rule that states if the card is purple it's an instant-resolve, if its blue, it's resolved during scoring.

Or visa-versa - I don't have the game in front of me right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook states that purple cards have effects that resolve immediately, whereas blue cards have effects that resolve during the round or at the end of the round. So it doesn't clear up the ambiguity, in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the feedback! And yes, (as Dustin has already explained) "Schadenfreude" being a blue card doesn't help on its own, as there are several other blue Fortune Teller cards (for example "Pumpkin Patch Party") that also change the rules for the duration of a complete (= the forthcoming) round.

But our group will definitely play it as an end-of-round effect from now on - that's a lot "cleaner" and will avoid confusing/awkward mid-round situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miraculix wrote:
Thanks a lot for the feedback! And yes, (as Dustin has already explained) "Schadenfreude" being a blue card doesn't help on its own, as there are several other blue Fortune Teller cards (for example "Pumpkin Patch Party") that also change the rules for the duration of a complete (= the forthcoming) round.

But our group will definitely play it as an end-of-round effect from now on - that's a lot "cleaner" and will avoid confusing/awkward mid-round situations.

And using 'if your pot exploded' would not work, as at the time the card is read, nobody's pot has exploded. The card really should indicate the timing of the neighbor gaining the chip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Pugh
United Kingdom
LEEDS
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've interpreted it as being part of the end-of round phases - since you know who's pot has exploded when you come to decide who rolls the bonus dice, you can just give everyone their 2-chip at that point. It also means that non-simultaneous drawing of chips makes no difference - I would imagine the latter interpretation would cause no end of chaos and argument. Not that anyone has questioned it, it seemed obvious to us that it goes this way, but we're not very competitive people.

I'd always go for the interpretation that makes your life simpler and easier. If it does turn out to be wrong, then at least you're not causing trouble for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.