Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
In Christian Circles, the Debate Over Leggings and Female Butts Has Been Raging With Special Urgency.

I mean, don't get me wrong. There's a time and a place to wear knit leggings, which is the same time it's ok to wear sweatpants.

Still, the pearl clutching is pretty delightful...

Quote:
The result is seemingly endless cycles of debates within the Christian community about the communal ethics of spandex, a hothouse version of the broader cultural debate. “Modesty, Yoga Pants and 5 Myths You Need to Know”; “To the Christian Men and Women Debating Yoga Pants”; “Yoga Pants and What the Bible Really Says About Modesty”; “Should Christian Women Wear Leggings?”; “Why I Chose to No Longer Wear Leggings”; and my personal favorite, “Leggings: A Catholic Man’s Perspective.” For what it’s worth, America is doing pretty well right now by traditional measures of Christian morality: Teen abstinence is up; teen pregnancy is down; divorce is down. The visible-butt revolution has not ruined us yet.

(None of those articles are nearly as fun as the concept of the conflict, sadly, I'm just so amused this is a thing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You joke, but I bet if I wore leggings you guys would consider it a crime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's something they have been Wrangling over for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're lazy. Comfort isn't a garment I can tell yoh have a clit piercing in. Nor is it something 2 microns thick in 20 degree weather. But they can make a decent substitute for personality on a college campus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

booooooooooooooooooooo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS!!!!!!

(I tell my gf, who disagrees, but she does make sure her dress or skirt or shirt or whatever covers things a little bit.)

If I wore tights with my bulge and ass on display to work like I have seen plenty of female coworkers do, I'm pretty sure I'd get a talking to. (Though to be fair I have heard of other departments including it in a dress code because of one ridiculous chick.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Huh.

A bunch of men holding forth on women and their clothing.

How novel...

shakegulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I witnessed a woman wearing nothing but yoga pant leggings and a lace bra while at Buc-ee's yesterday, and I can tell you that I'd prefer at least some modesty and/or decency in dress while in public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Huh.

How novel...

:shake::gulp:

If you read the article, the triggering comment at Notre Dame and a lot of the religious articles are by women ><

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
Huh.

How novel...

shakegulp

If you read the article, the triggering comment at Notre Dame and a lot of the religious articles are by women ><

At least some are women concerned about the impact of said yoga pants on their poor, poor sons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
I witnessed a woman wearing nothing but yoga pant leggings and a lace bra while at Buc-ee's yesterday, and I can tell you that I'd prefer at least some modesty and/or decency in dress while in public.

In olden days, a glimpse of stocking
Was looked on as something shocking.
But now, God knows,
Anything goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

booooooooooooooooooooo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, missed the 'No boys allowed' sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Sorry, missed the 'No boys allowed' sign.

We're just trying to help Sue out since she doesn't have the time to talk to herself in half the threads on this board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
windsagio wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
Huh.

How novel...

I'm pretty sure he's talking about some of the people in this thread, dude.

I get that's what he meant, but it doesn't make any sense. Most of the people in the thread are making jokes about the subject, not weighing in seriously on its merits. With that in mind, I had to regress a level to try to give the comment a point beyond self-aggrandizement.

It still didn't make any sense though :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
It's terrible how women force me to sin with my eyes by being attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I just wish we could get back to the old Garden of Eden Total Nudity Glory Days. True Christian that is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
They're lazy. Comfort isn't a garment I can tell yoh have a clit piercing in. Nor is it something 2 microns thick in 20 degree weather. But they can make a decent substitute for personality on a college campus.

I can't have sex with your personality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
I just wish we could get back to the old Garden of Eden Total Nudity Glory Days. True Christian that is...

We can only have that when we are too naive to understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:

Christianity was, what, 4000 years later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe those church-goers could have debates on how wealth keeps gathering at the very top, and how an increasing number of people are working yet still can't get out of "poverty" (which of course is an arbitrary line). That's way more indecent than yoga pants.

They may be tacky, but I, for one, welcome our yoga-pants-wearing overlords women. I
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:

You are free to wear whatever you like to preserve your modesty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
windsagio wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
Huh.

How novel...

shakegulp

At least some are women concerned about the impact of said yoga pants on their poor, poor sons...

I had previously seen the article and went through all those other articles listed. What stood out to me was the argument, in at least two if not more, articles of "think of the mom's of sons" It wasn't even about the sons, who I guess were presumed to just be forces of nature. Instead the mom's would have to put up with hand wringing over their boys, or some possible repercussions of their son's "passions."

It would be fascinating to have someone vigorously unpack and defend that argument in elaboration and detail. Instead it seems that the cultural discourse is to dance around it by just pointing in a direction and leave everything to the imagination. I'd imagine "think of the mom's of sons" is about shame, purity, social capital, worrying of children's salvation, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
windsagio wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
Huh.

How novel...

I had previously seen the article and went through all those other articles listed. What stood out to me was the argument, in at least two if not more, articles of "think of the mom's of sons" It wasn't even about the sons, who I guess were presumed to just be forces of nature. Instead the mom's would have to put up with hand wringing over their boys, or some possible repercussions of their son's "passions."

It would be fascinating to have someone vigorously unpack and defend that argument in elaboration and detail. Instead it seems that the cultural discourse is to dance around it by just pointing in a direction and leave everything to the imagination. I'd imagine "think of the mom's of sons" is about shame, purity, social capital, worrying of children's salvation, etc.

One of the articles (written by a dude) I read on this basically said something like this:

approximately wrote:
I'm not saying men are beasts that can't help themselves, but you've got to help protect them from sin, ladies!

(Noting that the sin in question is Jimmy Carter style lust in the heart not assault)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Radical idea here: Just let women determine what they choose to wear and then treat it as nobody else's business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.