Subject: Sri Lanka bombings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/21/world/asia/sri-lanka-expl...

The report says it was a terrorist attack bombing of churches and hotels across Sri Lanka. The linked article particularly mentions the churches and that the explosions occurred during Easter Sunday services.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind—Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrible and tragic with over 200 dead. But fortunately, despite early reports from our President, the death toll was not quite 138 million.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always hard to respond to these things, but it does leave a question:

"Is mass murder for a bad reason better or worse than mass murder for no reason at all?"

It is of course horrific and clearly religiously motivated. Per the article one of the suspects blew himself (and some officers) up when being questioned by the police.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
"When you walk..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
I mean, I'm no fan of Trump's but the "million" was clearly just a mistake. He tends to inflate everything with adjectives like yuge, greatest, etc., so in his rush to politicize this to his base, he managed to blunder worse than normal.

But it just illustrates how little thought he put into his tweet in the first place. Anyone with half a brain would pause while typing that large of a number and immediately question it. I’m sure he felt the annoyance of obligation to address the tragic event and couldn’t be bothered with accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hayes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
What to conclude when the victims have only the remotest connection to the perpetrators? Wherever it happens in the world, maybe it is just this.

1. Capability is easier (to make bombs or to buy guns).
2. It is unexpected (e.g. unlike during the Sri Lankan civil war).
3. It is shockingly memorable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
I mean, I'm no fan of Trump's but the "million" was clearly just a mistake. He tends to inflate everything with adjectives like yuge, greatest, etc., so in his rush to politicize this to his base, he managed to blunder worse than normal.

But it just illustrates how little thought he put into his tweet in the first place. Anyone with half a brain would pause while typing that large of a number and immediately question it. I’m sure he felt the annoyance of obligation to address the tragic event and couldn’t be bothered with accuracy.

Eh, I suspect an autocomplete error. Who hasn't done it?

As to the events, I have no words. Humanity makes me both happy and sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Sue_G wrote:

This. It's like his cut-and-pasted condolences for the Rancho Tehama, California school shooting, where he forgot to change the place name from Sutherland Springs, Texas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good opinion piece from The Guardian.

Sri Lanka’s Christians were left unprotected for far too long

It details the ongoing violence and discrimination against Muslims and Christians in Sri Lanka that the government has been slow to deal with. But with an inspirational conclusion that's applicable to more than just Sri Lanka:

Quote:
I want to tell the Sri Lankan Christian community that thousands of miles away, those of Sri Lankan heritage in Britain have you in our minds and hearts. Whether you are Sinhalese, Muslim or Tamil, we should be united, and that is what the majority of Sri Lankans want for their country. Buddhists, Hindu, Christians, Muslims and others have already joined together to donate blood for the victims of the explosions. The queues to donate have been so long it’s been inspiring to see. Those people are a testament to the unity of the country.

Sri Lanka must stand against those who are trying to divide us. We must now unite in solidarity. Even when governments do not value lives enough to take proper action to curb religious intolerance or deal with those who seek to sew divisions, it is ordinary people who possess the power to come together and resist those forces. This is the spirit of the true Sri Lanka which I have come to know. Its qualities have never been more needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap. They had intelligence warnings ten days ago of suicide bombers attacking churches.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2019/apr/21/sri-lanka...

Quote:
Last night, Sri Lanka’s prime minister, Ranil Wickremesinghe, said security services had been “aware of information” of a possible attack. Local intelligence had received warnings 10 days ago that “prominent churches” could be the target of suicide bombers.

“We must also look into why adequate precautions were not taken,” Wickremesinghe told reporters on Sunday.

Sri Lanka’s security forces fall under the responsibility of President Maithripala Sirisena and tensions are high between the two leaders. In October last year, Sirisena attempted to sack Wickremesinghe as prime minster, triggering a constitutional crisis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you imagine if Obama tweeted something like that?

He wore a tan suit and Fox News lost its shit for weeks.

It's sad when "Orange guy's rambling lies actually corrected for once" is a good news day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/21/world/asia/sri-lanka-expl...

The report says it was a terrorist attack bombing of churches and hotels across Sri Lanka. The linked article particularly mentions the churches and that the explosions occurred during Easter Sunday services.

Hrm, has the islamic state claimed it yet? Meets their MO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odious Maximus
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ABC radio news this morning was reporting Sri Lankan suggestions that this was a retaliatory attack for the Christchurch massacre. They also reported allegations that the Sri Lankan authorities had had wind of an attack along those lines for a week or so, but could not prevent it due to the number of suicide bombers involved. I plan to watch the evening bulletin in an hour or so.

As to Trump's tweet, I am indeed sick of Trump being shoehorned into every world event. Yet, I am even more sick of him managing to gaffe every single statement he makes - via twitter or otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odiousmaximus wrote:
The ABC radio news this morning was reporting Sri Lankan suggestions that this was a retaliatory attack for the Christchurch massacre.

There was also quite a bit of anti-Muslim violence and rioting (including setting fire to mosques) in SL last year. Which I guess makes it easier for violent islamist groups to recruit the disaffected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:

Perhaps so. Would that it were he didn't want us to view his (sleepy/old/undereducated/unvetted/dimwitted) 280 character thoughts as official White House statements.

Then confefe wouldn't be a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odious Maximus
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Odiousmaximus wrote:
The ABC radio news this morning was reporting Sri Lankan suggestions that this was a retaliatory attack for the Christchurch massacre.

There was also quite a bit of anti-Muslim violence and rioting (including setting fire to mosques) in SL last year. Which I guess makes it easier for violent islamist groups to recruit the disaffected.
Yes, the news this evening mentioned that as well. However, it did not say anything further about the attacks being in retaliation for Christchurch. A domestic militant Islamic group, National Thowfeek Jamaath, is suspected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Odiousmaximus wrote:

But that rioting wasn't by Christians it was from the ranks of the Buddhist majority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Sue_G wrote:

Anyone in a serious position where a tweet could cause a stock market movement or even start a war would get his or her tweets reviewed (proofread if you like) before being sent.

Well, almost anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odious Maximus
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:

But that rioting wasn't by Christians it was from the ranks of the Buddhist majority.
True, but it would have added to the disaffection and fear shared by the muslim community. I think the Christchurch event may well have been a trigger, despite the news not elucidating further. Of course, it may have been dismissed as a motive; we will have to wait for the investigation to be finalised to find out more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.