Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The “Thankless Task” scenario says “Defeating any Lizardkin Foe” gains a Plot token.

The rules say “If all Creatures have been killed, the Foe is Defeated” and “If the number of Creatures remaining is equal to, or less than, the Foe’s Breakpoint (see page 37), the Foe Flees.

So I assume if they break and Flee, they are NOT “Defeated” and so we do NOT gain a Plot token.

Is that correct?

We seem to almost always break them before killing them all and since “If the Foe is not Unique, the Foe card is Resolved and placed in the Discard pile.” we don’t get a chance to finish them off.

I begin to wonder if this isn’t a problem with lower hero counts? With more heroes perhaps there’s a greater chance of killing the last one before it runs off since the party has more attacks?

With two heroes we seem to always kill one in a round and then they Flee.

Any suggestions how to deal with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using the Player Aid to help me step through combat.

After the Engagement Round, there is a step to check Morale. If the Foe is a UNIQUE Foe AND has reached the Breakpoint for that Foe, the Heroes get one more Combat Round and ALL Heroes gain Advantage for all Combat Tests.

Would this help your situation?

* Edit
As for non-Unique Foes, the Foe card is Resolved when the remaining Foes flee, then I think you would gain the Plot Token. They card is resolved and they have fled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is from the sewers set right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules that a fleeing creature is defeated since the card is discarded, not left on the map. Since any loot is up for grabs when a creature flees, this further backs up my interpretation to me since it is thematic.

Unfortunately, Defeated is not in the Glossary, but Resolved is, and a Fleeing creature meets that definition as well. Since a killed creature is Resolved, I extend a fleeing creature as resolved since there are no more required tests to perform (Combat is a test - RAW).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Defeat vs Flee
Yes, it’s from the Sewers.

Thanks!

I agree it’s Resolved if they Flee, but the Scenario specifically calls for a Defeat result to gain a Plot token, which is why I’m wondering if Flee would count.

I’ve been interpreting it as counting, but I’m unsure with the RAW and hope the designer or company might chime in with an official ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Ducker
msg tools
mb
Resolved and Defeated are the same here.

Will add it to the FAQ.

- Lead games designer, inspiring games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.