Myles Carey

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
Is this for gameplay simplification/balance?

I can understand the specialization token giving 3 firepower and range of 3, because it represents specific anti-tank equipment but why would a squad's long range of two fire power of 4 suddenly be extended to range 3?

Anyone house rule that at range 3 the squad's firepower is only 3 and at range 1 and 2 it would be 7 (assume 4 regular infantry)?

Thanks,
Myles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
A squad with 4 regular infantry—with the anti-tank specialization—would have a normal range (against vehicles) of 2 or 3 hexes, and so a long range (doubled) of up to 6 hexes. Its firepower is +3 at any range, so is increased from 4 to 7. Of course, at long range, only die rolls of “6” are counted as hits, so the effectiveness is about halved.

That seems to me like a fairly good game representation of the actual combat capability of hand-held, anti-tank weapons of the era.

The rationale here is WWII infantry normally needed to get very close to a vehicle, especially a tank, to damage it. But if a squad was equipped with a bazooka or panzerfaust, it could do great damage, perhaps fatal, without needing to get nearly so close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myles Carey

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
Thank for the insight - I do track the value of the anti-tank weapons for the infantry.

The main point that I have to abstract away is that w/o the specialization ta full squad of regulars has 4 against tanks if adjacent, long range if 2 hexes away and nothing if 3 hexes (unless firing from hiring elevation).

So with a specialization suddenly their normal fire power of 4 gains range to 3 hexes - its the same normal squad weapons for those 4 point, how did they gain range?

- Myles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Seanmyles wrote:
So with a specialization suddenly their normal fire power of 4 gains range to 3 hexes - its the same normal squad weapons for those 4 point, how did they gain range?

Because a bazooka could destroy tank from 150-200 yards away--maybe farther--during WWII. A typical squad was not equipped with such weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.