SLThomas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The British Museum (in London) has just opened a new FREE exhibit called Playing with Money: currency and games, open between 18 April 2019 – 29 September 2019.

I live in London but haven't yet been - intend to go and will post back thoughts here. Please if anybody gets a chance to go do the same!

Here is a snap from the website

British Museum wrote:
This exhibition looks at how modern board games, educational toys, gambling and role-playing games reflect, inform and shape our understanding of economics and money.

The 20th century witnessed the transformation of money from precious metals to paper, from credit cards to crypto-currencies, all against a fluctuating financial backdrop. These changes are chronicled in the evolution of childhood games from the 19th century to the present.

Discover new acquisitions of toy and board game money, including recognisable classics such as Monopoly, as well as notes from other games. Many have economic themes and cover subjects from buying and selling paintings, investing in railways to playing the stock market. Often they comment on society and economics: Class Struggle is a Marxist critique of capitalism, Ratrace satirises consumerism and Black Friday is a comment on the 2008 financial crash.

Elsewhere in the exhibition, a fully stocked toy shop from the 1930s and decimalisation games from the 1960s, remind us that playing with money is essential for understanding how the world works. The exhibition playfully shows how skills and experiences we acquire in our formative years inform our adult lives.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/playing_w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Dyke
United Kingdom
Clanfield, Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
I want that 1829
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiggrr wrote:
I want that 1829

I used to have it, sadly no longer. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I popped in today for a look as I'm in that area every Sunday. It's a very small exhibition in one of the small side rooms. I still found it interesting though.

There are some examples of money from games such as Dominion, Modern Art, Alhambra, Acquire, Age of Empires III and even Tulipmania 1637 (and as someone who owns that game I can safely say it has perhaps the ugliest money you'll ever come across in any game).

It also looks at some of the Euro economic games that came in the 1990s and earlier examples such as Pit.

His (Robert Bracey's) book on the subject would have greater depth or his talk that he is giving on the 7th June.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/playing-with-money/robert-b...

I would have liked to have seen more examples such as Medici, Stockpile, Imperial, Chinatown the list is endless. I would also have liked to have seen lots more examples of money from different games as I find board game currencies and coins fascinating and there was certainly room to have had many more examples. Would have been great to see coins and notes from 100s of games all lined up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SLThomas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review - so would you recommend it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sproyd wrote:
Thanks for the review - so would you recommend it?

If you're passing by then it's worth popping in for. However there are only five or six cabinets with things in so it's very small. So for those who don't live in London it's not worth visiting just for that.

However it'll be worth waiting for the talk on the 7th of June combined with a visit to the exhibition.

Friday 7 June 2019,
13.15–14.00
Room 27
Free, just drop in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And another talk (I assume, a repeat) on 6th August, same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.