7 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Strike timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Komisarek
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Probably I know the answer, but just wanted to double check what others think. What's the timing on the Strike keyword? Can you see result of the test and then apply strike? (this makes the game easier). Or do you need to do it before drawing cards for test? (so the game is a bit more difficult)?

Quoting the rules reference:
When a hero is performing an attack test, that hero can discard a
card that has the “Strike X” keyword to add X hits to the enemy
group that is the target of that attack.

I understand when as "at any point during drawing the cards - including after drawing all of them". Am I correct?

Sorry if it's too obvious, but we have just finished second scenario in 3rd turn (while being still on 10 threat), so looking for rules we played in wrong way :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can choose to use the Strike after you see the results of the test--don't have to make that choice before drawing the cards for the test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Langella
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see the result of the test before choosing to use your ability. See p25 of the RR, Step 2 - Convert Fate:

Quote:
Abilities that a hero can resolve when they are performing a test are resolved during this step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Komisarek
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks guys for such timely manner. So we played it correctly. After Gloomhaven, we almost felt invincible :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Riguzzi
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Can I use multiple Strike X prepared cards on a single attack?
Yesterday I played my first game and Legolas had 2 "Strike 2" cards prepared.
He attacked with his bow, doing 3 successes, so the damage was:
1 success: 2 hits
2 success: 5 hits

total 7 hits
+Strike 2: 9 Hits
+Strike 2: 11 Hits

Is it allowed or I can play only 1 strike x card?

On Guard X, RAW says I can use multiple cards to defend from damages,
"Multiple abilities that have the “Guard X” keyword can be used to
prevent damage () and fear () from a single source."

But on Strike X, RAW says:
"When a hero is performing an attack test, that hero can discard a
card that has the “Strike X” keyword to add X hits to the enemy
group that is the target of that attack."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Bolechów
Poland
Wroclaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good question. I would say we can use more than one card with „Strike” to enhance single attack but indeed the „Guard” and „Rest” rules specifically mention that we can use more cards than one and „Strike” rules does not have the same kind of explanation. I’d like to have official clarification on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinelli
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bartosh wrote:
Good question. I would say we can use more than one card with „Strike” to enhance single attack but indeed the „Guard” and „Rest” rules specifically mention that we can use more cards than one and „Strike” rules does not have the same kind of explanation. I’d like to have official clarification on this.

I asked FFG if multiple "Strike" cards could be used in an attack. This is the response I received from Grace Holdinghaus: "Yes, multiple Strike cards can be used in the same attack. Strike is treated similarly to Sprint as a keyword, in not clarifying that one would fully resolve and then you can use another as you are still in the timing window. We further clarified Rest and Guard as keywords because their timing windows (at the end of your turn, when a hero in your space would suffer fear or damage from a single source) are narrower and we wanted to reinforce that multiple things could still happen within those windows."

So, I guess you can always use multiple prepared cards with maybe the exception of Hide?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.