Popular Tags: [View All]
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Even when you don't feel it.
badge
Prioritize your own life, or someone will prioritize it for you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Essence of the Thing: Out of Character/Signup Thread
Hey guys! It's been a few days and I'm prepared to answer some questions now. =)

I think the most pertinent is "What are we supposed to do?" This isn't something a lot of people are wondering out loud at me, but it seems the most important for enjoying the game for those who do have it!

There are two levels to this:

Level 1

There is a Game Master in a chat asking you for an input into a game or activity each day. You can answer those by typing into the chat or using the Input order, or even choose not to answer, if that's more your style. As you make these choices each day, more of the obscure part of the game will organically open up around you. In the meantime, the games themselves are things we have fun playing on the forum and are organized such that each person has something to do each day.

Level 2

These games are being run by the Game Master. That is a character played BY me, but is not me. Imagine in a fantasy game that it is an aged wizard asking you to slay a dragon, not the DM behind the screen with all of his notes asking you to slay a dragon. That wizard has his own history, personality, motivations, etc.

In my mind, RPGs should be games in which you can live, move, make choices, experiment, and the world should respond from its faux reality grounded in its own existence. As the person who wrote the game, it is my job to hopefully make the world the kind of place that will be fun to do those things in based on how I designed it originally.

So I don't write a game that says, "the players save magic and the world by figuring out how to get the dragons to breed". I write games that say "there are 1-2 of each dragon left, and the lack of at least 2 is why so many spells are unavailable, because magic is keyed into their existence due to this complex backstory..."

Do the players save the dragons, the magic, and the world? Do they realize dragons are PRETTY vulnerable right now and kill them all and hoard the now godlike magic items against a world of muggles? That isn't my call. meeple (In this real life example, they accidentally killed a dragon first, then got hunted by other dragons, and ultimately teamed up with them to save the world as best they could.)

So here we have a game, built in Cassy. You have one chat that is expressedly out of character, just me and you, with me answering what questions I can.

You have a chat asking you for things every day, not run by me, but by a Game Master. You have orders related to that you can use or not.

You have a third chat which you've been vaguely directed to document... something in, but not what, and it exists in the RPG game space.

The more I say about what to do with all that, the less chance you have to explore yourselves (either individually or as a group), and the more you might think you're specifically not allowed to or "supposed" to do something that is an option if you think of it.

In general, I've tried to curtail things you shouldn't be doing by processing work on my end and actual capabilities - if you're not supposed to chat in a chat, it locks. The rest of the world is your oyster.

If you just keep plunking in your inputs, though, I promise the game will happen. Doing so doesn't mean you'll be failing or locked out of anything. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*waves*

Hey guys! Just a note that orders posted to mod chat never do anything, as mod chat never directly affects the game. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TFang wrote:
*waves*

Hey guys! Just a note that orders posted to mod chat never do anything, as mod chat never directly affects the game. =)

Yea, cassy checks that by default, and I lazily don't remove the check mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
TFang wrote:
*waves*

Oh! I was wondering. If I tell the physics menu that Daily Input is the chat to use for feedback, will it autocheck that instead? Or is that menu just for physics blurbs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TFang wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
TFang wrote:
*waves*

Oh! I was wondering. If I tell the physics menu that Daily Input is the chat to use for feedback, will it autocheck that instead? Or is that menu just for physics blurbs?

idk, but I doubt it. Frankly, I know little about how physics works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was in Group 4 but the answer for group 4 came from Madeline, even though I was told my Fellow Participant was LJ.

Now, for round 3 I have the same Fellow Participant.

I was in Group 1 for the first round, and ACox didn't get the target word. I wonder if that changed where my/our inputs went.

Anyone else seeing anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience.
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
So, I was in Group 4 but the answer for group 4 came from Madeline, even though I was told my Fellow Participant was LJ.

Now, for round 3 I have the same Fellow Participant.

I was in Group 1 for the first round, and ACox didn't get the target word. I wonder if that changed where my/our inputs went.

Anyone else seeing anything?
interesting!

I was also in group 1 (cluing to acox), but I was accurately told that cvb would get the next hint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Whatever you do will be insignificent. But it is very important that you do it.
badge
This BGG avatar is limited to the explicit use of Quaseymoto and all others will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
mbmbmbmbmb
Related: Acox and I shared a diagnostics input between the last 2 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was anyone in group 4 told that Madeline was their fellow participant? Or were you told it was LJ?

LJ, did you get the group 4 inputs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaseymoto wrote:

Meaning you both gave the same input both times? Or, is diagnostic input something different than input?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
This BGG avatar is limited to the explicit use of Quaseymoto and all others will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Quaseymoto wrote:

Meaning you both gave the same input both times? Or, is diagnostic input something different than input?

It's something different.
We both had to answer a different question (I won't give details in case it comes up) and we could see each other's answers and chat, though shortly after we both realized that the chat was locked.

If someone else duplicated results in previous rounds I'm curious if they also had this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I have famously huge turds!
badge
I have famously huge turds!
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Quaseymoto wrote:

Meaning that we had an additional "Diagnostic Input" chat in addition to our regular input chat. Possibly due to duplicating clues in the first round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, more than 100% of us are playing. That's, erm, yea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
So, more than 100% of us are playing. That's, erm, yea...

I have enough ego for two people, so maybe that's factoring in somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect a glitch in the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
whirlingdervish wrote:
I suspect a glitch in the system.

í̸̧͖̥̻̯̟̥̤̜͎̻̞͎͔̈͑̾̌́́͌̐́̚ ̴̨̧͎̠͖͇̜͓̦̱̱̙͎̤͛̒̔͑̔͊͐̿͊̏́͂͝a̸̼͒̒̒̋̈́̽͗̚M̷̗̯͙͔̈̉̈̊̄̆̎̐̔̔̚͝ ̵̪̘̠̪̇̂͋͛̾̽̊̽͌Ṯ̵̮̳̤̦̮̯͉̂̈́͗̄̌̊ḩ̵̳̠̥͍͎̟͍̻̬̗̝̼̬́̽̍̈́̃͋̈́͆̈́͋̇̕͠E̷̢̧̛̜͎̻̝̳̲̠̹͑͗̌̑͌̉̽͒̓͠͠͠ ̷̨̬̱̜̍̉́̔͆̃́̀̄̚̕̕g̵͓͓̦̙̰͓̝͇̲͂͐̉̍̽̿̾͋̔̃̂̈́̍͝͠Ļ̶̛͇̪̥̠̩̙̤̬̥̳̰̐̌̊̓̆̇͗̇I̶̹̿͛̀͝t̴̩̘̙̻̯̔̊̅̊̒̋̓́͑c̸̘̿͛͌̔̓̋̃Ḩ̴͕̟̟̻̼͕͍̌͋́̑ ̸̛̛͎̭̖̦̹͆͂̈̎̿͒͘̚I̷̧͚̭̫̺̳͑̂͒͛̓͑̊̎̅͝ǹ̵͚̬̼̄̇̔̓̀̇̔̎̊̌̅͝ ̴̧̹̳̝̗̓̀͐͆̈́̽̔͑̓̍̆͊t̷̢̳̞͕̯̆͂̈́̉̉̋̉̿̓͘͠H̴͙̗͙̎E̷̡̦̠͉̜̲͍̻̜̠̐̃͛̉ ̷̨͎̹͐̉͐̿͒̀̈́̀̎̀ş̷̡̟̫̺̘̦̥̼̩̦͗̏̃̄̋́Y̴̛͉̙̼͙̮̲̹̫͖̪̫̏̂́͝͝s̴̨̨͔̃̏̄́̌̓̄̃͗͗̑̕̚̕t̶̪͖̦͙̘̖͈͜͠E̴̙̹̾̏̌͐̓̓͘M̵̨̞̹̮̪͈͚̱̻̦͉͈̯̀̾͛͑̀̕͜
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, oppss.

Didn't know that input would be so popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day (she/her)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf, but I'm definitely wolfing
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaseymoto wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
Quaseymoto wrote:

It's something different.
We both had to answer a different question (I won't give details in case it comes up) and we could see each other's answers and chat, though shortly after we both realized that the chat was locked.

If someone else duplicated results in previous rounds I'm curious if they also had this.

Rob and I did, but I have no idea of the outcome of previous things, or this thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience.
mbmbmbmbmb
The (non)-responses are reported as "input error" sometimes and "input failure" others. No idea what that could mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
madelineb wrote:
The (non)-responses are reported as "input error" sometimes and "input failure" others. No idea what that could mean.

I was assuming input error was for matching answers and input failure was for not putting in an answer or doing something that caused the input to be incorrectly received?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
madelineb wrote:

I was assuming input error was for matching answers and input failure was for not putting in an answer or doing something that caused the input to be incorrectly received?
Maybe bad formatting, but I don't think it can just be failure to answer, since Quasey had it today (and all the answers were posted before the deadline).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
madelineb wrote:

I inputed a Null Set and got a failure. Sorry LJ but I figured that'd be an okay clue to pass on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lag happening is a product of me and Dopp's date, not any in-game events. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting set of inputs (and interesting missing ones.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new lag is now because Tokah needs sleep. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] |