Josh Reeve

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmb
What are peoples thoughts on the additional characters that are available on the web store right now, particularly the Drifter and Dark Stone Shaman? Any other recommended characters that would be worth trying to track down?

Also, what do people think of the supplemental card packs that they have available. Do people think that the extra encounters are better to have or the additional artifact/gear cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
All the card packs are worth getting, but if it’s a choice between the, I would go with more encounters over more artifacts.

As for the character classes, they’re all different, if some strike your fancy, definitely go for it, but if you’re happy with the classes you currently have available, there is probably no rush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Chase
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all the card packs - particularly the artifact/gear packs - really expand the game and are worth picking up during the sales.

As for the additional classes:
Drifter - they're really powerful, but the features that balance that can be hard on a low level party

Dark stone shaman - I tried playing one once, but wasn't very successful. (He died in the first adventure) I can't give a great assessment.

Doctor - this is my favorite class. My doctor earns XP twice as fast as the other characters and is a beast in melee combat. (But can't hit the broad side of a barn with his gun.)

Jargono Native - this is a great class and is what I always wished the Indian scout had been

Orphan - I haven't played an orphan, but have had them in the party. They seem like they could be the best class because their starting abilities are good and the can grow up into another class. However, it can be hard for them to grow up.

Cowboy, gambler, wandering samurai, prospector - I've got these classes, but haven't had them in an adventure yet. Of them, the gambler and samurai seem most interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I personally feel that encounter packs are critical. Especially if it is an other world. By the time you pull out advanced encounters, there isn't much left in the encounter deck. Artifacts too really spice up the game. I just ordered the trait pack as a really solid update to the older enemies.

I have the Drifter and consider him a pretty unique hero. I am picking up the Shaman now as it very unique with magic and shapeshifting. I wish the other ones like Doctor or Jargono Native were there. Prospector is kind of meh. The Orphan is fragile but neat with the missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Troy and Rob H, Encounters are definately worth getting above artifacts/gear. In my experience you may not pick up any artifacts/gear on a mission, but you always have a few encounters. I play mainly 2 Heroes currently and I would say my average is about 1 Artifact/Gear card per mission, but have at least 4-6 Encounters per mission (although that includes advanced encounters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solod

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
The encounter packs add a lot to the game so definitely follow that advice that has been mentioned. My favorite pack is the traits pack. I think this is ESSENTIAL to the core sets. Really adds a lot of challenge and variety to the two bosses. The growing dread pack is worth buying to since growing dread cards are limited to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.