15 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth» Forums » General

Subject: game on steam.. soso bad reviews rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmbmb
What do you think now seeing the game before you have it on steam? Mixed reviews and nothing wow... FF has gone app way instead BG way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Andersson
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haters gonna hate.

Most likely reviewers haven’t even played the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 10 reviews right now and 4 are negative.

Only two negative reviews wrote anything, and one doesn’t seem to understand that this is a companion app and not a game. The other is complaining about saves and DLC not shared across devices, which is fair but you don’t really need to use multiple devices anyway and it really has nothing to do with the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Take Steam reviews with a grain of salt, it is a very toxic environment, that tends to attract a lot of haters and negativity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Eckhoff
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that’s who you listen to for advice.. that’s on you. Personally, I’m loving it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
MasterDinadan wrote:
Only two negative reviews wrote anything, and one doesn’t seem to understand that this is a companion app and not a game.

I saw this coming for two reasons. First, the Imperial Assault app saw a lot of these kinds of reviews. Second, I looked at the app description on Stream and I didn’t see any mention that it was a board game companion app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uninvited Guest wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:
Only two negative reviews wrote anything, and one doesn’t seem to understand that this is a companion app and not a game.

I saw this coming for two reasons. First, the Imperial Assault app saw a lot of these kinds of reviews. Second, I looked at the app description on Stream and I didn’t see any mention that it was a board game companion app.

Oh yeah... really bad description.

If somebody came across the steam page for the first time without any knowledge of the game, they would have no way to know that this was a companion app for a board game.

But hopefully anyone who is looking for reviews of the game isn't looking on Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Kubas
Poland
Rzeszów
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam review system is broken - it's total crap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Uninvited Guest wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

Oh yeah... really bad description.

If somebody came across the steam page for the first time without any knowledge of the game, they would have no way to know that this was a companion app for a board game.

But hopefully anyone who is looking for reviews of the game isn't looking on Steam.

What are you about? When you open it on steam, the short description (the one visible to the right of the video/screenshots) says: "A companion app for The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth board game from Fantasy Flight Games".

Still, yes, as with any companion app many people give negative reviews because they do not know it is not a video game, unfortunately many video gamers don't know and can't imagine that board games exist, not to mention the fact they are not willing to think before giving a negative. Steam reviews should be ignored for a product like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Spiller
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:

What are you about? When you open it on steam, the short description (the one visible to the right of the video/screenshots) says: "A companion app for The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth board game from Fantasy Flight Games".

He's talking about the Imperial Assault app
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gardner
msg tools
mb
BGG: board game gets downvoted because it has an app component
Steam: app gets downvoted because it has a board game component

I love you, internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I played this game this weekend.

I give it so so - and when considering the price and all the expansions, I'll be a pass unless the base game comes down (which it only will if it isn't selling)

I didnt really like their implementation of the hand management. while interesting in concept, in practice, it just became flipping cards, and I didn't feel like I had much in the way of choice...

sure I love the theme, but I like mansions of madness or imperial assault better as games to play...

minor quibble - I hate that it uses small cards for all the skills as my eyes aren't as good as they use to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuzzy Llama Reviews
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassoon201 wrote:
Well I played this game this weekend.

I give it so so - and when considering the price and all the expansions, I'll be a pass unless the base game comes down (which it only will if it isn't selling)

I didnt really like their implementation of the hand management. while interesting in concept, in practice, it just became flipping cards, and I didn't feel like I had much in the way of choice...

sure I love the theme, but I like mansions of madness or imperial assault better as games to play...

minor quibble - I hate that it uses small cards for all the skills as my eyes aren't as good as they use to be.

I also ran through the first journey and battle map. Not only was the game super easy to learn (probably because of the app implementation and the fact that I have played mansions of madness numerous times)but I found myself entranced with it as well.

I thought the hand management worked much better for tests over MoM dice rolling as there was a bit of mitigation that could be done, if even only a little. The Scouting skill is excellent for having more control over what you draw which increases choice. I also thought it was very thematic how the weakness worked to plug up your deck. I will admit I'm not a huge fan of the tiny cards although the size does help with table space.

I'm still on the fence on the battle map sections though. I've never played Imperial Assault or Descent which I hear they borrow from. At first it was pretty cool with how you build up a neat scene with the terrain pieces AND there was some choice on stuff to look for or mess with. Also the terrain pieces give different bonuses which I thought was really cool. HOWEVER the first battle boiled down to me standing in one spot trying to kill a particular guy over and over every turn whilst more and more enemies piled on us.

I suspect if you had a range character in your party it might make it more strategic. Anyways time will tell if other battle maps will be similar or more exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cleaver
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
mgardner0 wrote:
BGG: board game gets downvoted because it has an app component
Steam: app gets downvoted because it has a board game component

I love you, internet.

What's not to love?

In all fairness, I was excited about the game until I saw it had an app component. I want to keep my analog games analog and my digital games digital. Board games may eventually wear out, but they don't suffer from Moore's law. Computer games are wholly portable, outside of needing power and the platform to play them on.

Can't haul around a stack of board games easily to set up and play at the library or coffee shop. Can't play computer games, generally speaking, when the power's out. Still, it looks kinda fun, maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon at some point, but probably not until I cross some more strictly board games off my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spllr wrote:
borsook wrote:

He's talking about the Imperial Assault app

So this is still not true, when you go to the Steam store, at the very top, the first sentence you see is:

"Legends of the Alliance is a companion app for the Star Wars: Imperial Assault board game..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.