Popular Tags: [View All]
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About to prepare for our first game, and I read a lot about how negotiation is a big part of this game.

Besides swapping the trade cards for better/worse ones for some person to person pledge/promise (put simply), does negotiation go anything beyond that?

Having not played the game yet, perhaps I’m not seeing the creativity in negotiations. Can you guys provide any examples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For our first game, we didn't negotiate diddly squat. None of us understood the nuances or reasons for negotiation beyond what you listed above. Of course with a few more games we figured it out and now use negotiation a bit more tactfully. But the point is that we enjoyed our games when we didn't do any negotiation, and we enjoy our games when we do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest deal with negotiations is for letting other races ships pass through your space (especially the Ferengi, since they benefit from it).

You get a lot of, "I'll let you pass through my system as long as you leave the next planet that is able to be colonized near my boarders for me to take".
Or temporary alliances to attack a stronger opponent to weaken them, or to gang up on the Borg to defend a boarder so they don't take over.

Offering to give up resources in exchange for a more powerful opponent leaving you alone or not taking over/destroying one of your colonies.

Making a deal with someone to not wipe out, or take over, your research facility that is about to complete a project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcial

São Paulo
São Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,
Negotiation, thrust and betray is nature part of this game, and it will appear spontaneously when you play more times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Patch
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
A big part of the game is paying attention to how close your rivals are to winning, how much culture production they have, what technologies they have/are working on, etc. If you think someone is getting too dangerous, you negotiate with your other rivals to team up on the leader (and agree not stab each other in the back in the process).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.