3 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Seeker asset with increased handsize effect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
manthos gousiaris
msg tools
mb
Hey guys! Sorry if this may look like a double thread creation, but I wanted everyone to see this new idea I had mind about a custom Seeker asset, which is based on my previous idea seen here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2183509/custom-seeker-perma...

As I said in my previous thread, what I wanted was an effect that increases maximum handsize so that you don't have to use an ally slot on Laboratory assistant if you want that effect. After getting some feedback on my previous idea, I dismissed it as being too strong and somewhat superfluous as far as card draw is concerned, as by having an effect that increases your maximum handsize means you 're running card draw anyway. So, I came up with this new idea which I believe suits better this style of heavy card draw while not being gamebreaking or seem like offering something you already had.

So, I basically created 2 versions of the card that have about the same effect. One of them is a permanent and the other is a regular asset. I will display both of them and let you guys tell me which one of them you think is the best to use, as far as balance issues are concerned. I 'll have to proclaim, though, that I prefer the permanent version, because custom-made cards cannot be helped but look different than FFG-made and there will be an in-game difference with the authentic ones while using them.

So, here are the cards:

Can't wait for your comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, first of all I almost never have problems with the hand limit, which makes this card useless to me in almost all cases. The only exceptions (for me) are:
* Minh
* Sefina (who can’t take Seeker cards anyway), but typically only a problem when the scenario begins due to how she draws her opening hand.
* possibly Daisy or other Seekers that you use Higher Education.

If I’m going to build a deck based upon drawing cards, I would already be including the Lab Assistant. So in those cases, I would just take Charisma for 3XP and the Ally slot problem is solved, and I use Lab Assistant to increase hand limit.

The only thing that would make this interesting would have to be:
* increasing your opening hand size (e.g. during setup, draw 2 additional cards)
* letting you store cards outside of your hand, kind of like Stick to the Plan or Backpack. It would be a good way to deal with the Amnesia weakness or other effects that force you to discard random cards. I feel like this would make sense as a 3XP seeker permanent card (something that lets you store and retrieve cards from an out-of-hand location)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manthos gousiaris
msg tools
mb
Quote:
If I’m going to build a deck based upon drawing cards, I would already be including the Lab Assistant. So in those cases, I would just take Charisma for 3XP and the Ally slot problem is solved, and I use Lab Assistant to increase hand limit.

As I said in the title, I wanted an effect that increases your maximum handsize so that you don't have to use an ally slot on Lab assistant. I know that Charisma exists, but this is useful for decks that want to use their ally slots elsewhere.

Quote:
The only thing that would make this interesting would have to be:
* increasing your opening hand size (e.g. during setup, draw 2 additional cards)
* letting you store cards outside of your hand, kind of like Stick to the Plan or Backpack. It would be a good way to deal with the Amnesia weakness or other effects that force you to discard random cards. I feel like this would make sense as a 3XP seeker permanent card (something that lets you store and retrieve cards from an out-of-hand location)

These are both interesting propositions. In fact, my initial idea was pretty similar to your first proposition, but I hadn't thought of giving the additional cards during setup, which would make this card quite interesting. Your second proposition requires a different approach on the card, but maybe I'll give it some thought.

Quote:
possibly Daisy or other Seekers that you use Higher Education.

But every seeker uses Higher Education...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.