Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David M
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hidden dagger card for geisha says it gives a free attack that ignores defense and does one damage. Is this automatic or do you have to make a roll and get higher than melted stat before doing the one damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete & SO
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A free attack is not an automatic/free hit. So you have to roll one melee die and succeed to make the hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bondi

Illinois
msg tools
As the card reads I am pretty sure you do not have to roll to hit with it. Hence the “automatic” wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the card handy, but if, like Tom says, the card says it does an automatic hit, then you don't have to roll to hit. That would make it similar to the Saloon Girl's Darkstone Shivs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its important to note that if no To-Hit roll is made, then most types of +dmg buffs will NOT affect the damage that results (unless the thing that provides the +dmg specifically mentions "attacks" and/or specifically applies to the Dagger itself).

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A key distinction of the Hidden Dagger too vs. say the Secret Blade is that the HD does not list a Combat value on it. It just says it does an automatic wound. Further validation that it doesn't require a roll.

Secret Blade says Combat 1 on the card (the Geisha I have just happens to have both, thanks to a lucky Personal Item draw).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the card in front of me now. It says:
Use any time during your Move. (this is fine and clear, use it before your action and it can interrupt your move)

Free Attack (this wording makes it seem like you would need to make an attack roll):
Do 1 automatic Wound, ignoring Defense, to an adjacent model.

Being listed as a Free Attack makes it seem like you would have to roll a melee attack to do the wound. Does the wording of automatic wound override this and you don't need to roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
By calling it a free attack it prevents you from using some other free attack in the same turn. So it takes up your free attack “slot” for that turn, and does 1 automatic wound to a figure as you move past it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.