Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Collins
Australia
Melbourne
VICTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when "whenever" is used with crossed sword, the condition check, ability, effect and avatar must all be in the same battlefield. Correct?

Example: If I have Sarangerel in play and I meditate, does my avatar need to be in the same battlefield to get the benefit. Opposingly Featherless Martyr can be anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Dolbin
United States
California
flag msg tools
REGGY wrote:
So when "whenever" is used with crossed sword, the condition check, ability, effect and avatar must all be in the same battlefield. Correct?

Example: If I have Sarangerel in play and I meditate, does my avatar need to be in the same battlefield to get the benefit. Opposingly Featherless Martyr can be anywhere.

the only part of Sarangerel's effect that's battlefield specific is the healing of a minion. because one of the triggering effects of Sarangerel's effects is meditating (which is not battlefield-specific), that would seem to imply to me that the playing of a sorcery to trigger it is also not battlefield-specific (i.e. your sorcery doesn't need to target the battlefield Sarangerel is in in order to trigger Sarangerel's ability). so if you play a sorcery or meditate, you then have a choice: either heal 1 damage from a minion IN THE SAME BATTLEFIELD AS SARANGEREL (because of the crossed swords), or gain 1 omen (which has nothing to do with any battlefields).

as you pointed out, featherless martyr's triggered ability has no crossed swords in front of it and thus is not battlefield-specific, but i think that's because neither the condition (meditating) nor the result (discarding a card to draw a card) has any direct effect on an individual battlefield in and of itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Collins
Australia
Melbourne
VICTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if my card says "Whenever you play a minion from your graveyard then do X" it doesn't matter where I play the minion as long as the effect is applied where my avatar is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick May
United States
Pinellas Park
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
REGGY wrote:
So if my card says "Whenever you play a minion from your graveyard then do X" it doesn't matter where I play the minion as long as the effect is applied where my avatar is?

Does the card have crossed swords? If so, my guess would be the "X" is battlefield specific, but probably not the trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jones
United States
Kennett Square
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I understand it, is that the X effect happens where the minion is played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick May
United States
Pinellas Park
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, need to know what "X" is to be able to determine specifically

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Régis
France
flag msg tools
REGGY wrote:

Crossed swords is not about your avatar. You can replace the logo by "in this battlefield".
Skill cards actions/ongoing/tactics need your avatar to be there.
I think you mixed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Collins
Australia
Melbourne
VICTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm talking about the Necromancer lineage card.

"Crossed Swords: Whenever you play a zombie minion from your graveyard you may exhaust this skill card to weaken a non legendary minion twice"

Which Part/Parts of this effect must be done in the battlefield where the avatar is? I know I'm overthinking this but I don't find it clear.

I assume from what people are saying here that only the "weaken" part needs to be in the avatar battlefield. 'Where' I play the zombie to is not relevant??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Collins
Australia
Melbourne
VICTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P8 of the rules stated that skill cards can be used in the battlefield that your avatar is in. So I'm just trying to determine which part of the text applies to the battlefield location restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick May
United States
Pinellas Park
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the weakening part would apply to the battlefield your sorcerer is currently in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Praet
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31685554#31685554

Rob_of_YMG wrote:
You must play the zombie from your graveyard into the battlefield your avatar standee is in to get the weaken effect. You can only weaken a minion in that battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Collins
Australia
Melbourne
VICTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jimmy.

It seems a few people have it wrong, including in this thread. From what Rob says then, all parts that can be applied to the avatar area must be done in that area. i.e. meditation is general so you only apply the effect but playing a zombie and weakening can be battlefield specific so must then be done in the avatar battlefield.

Thematically it makes sense as a sorcerer you are raising dead in a particular part of London in order to weaken an enemy in the same area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Fleming
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
REGGY wrote:
Thanks Jimmy.

It seems a few people have it wrong, including in this thread. From what Rob says then, all parts that can be applied to the avatar area must be done in that area. i.e. meditation is general so you only apply the effect but playing a zombie and weakening can be battlefield specific so must then be done in the avatar battlefield.

Thematically it makes sense as a sorcerer you are raising dead in a particular part of London in order to weaken an enemy in the same area.

I think there may be some confusion. The reason that the zombie must be played in the same battlefield as your avatar and the weakening must happen in the same battlefield is because that ability is coming from one of your 3 character ability cards.

Sarangel is obviously not a character ability card, so if for some reason he had an ability with identical wording to the necromancer card, your avatar would NOT need to be in that battlefield.

The only effects that require your avatar to be in a specific battlefield are your 3 ability cards, and abilities that explicitly request the presence of your avatar. All others don’t.

If you haven’t joined the community discord yet, we’d love to have you come discuss the game with us!

Link: https://Discord.gg/EdN6KTU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.