Subject: Why go for high number cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Peasemeister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
So to me, there's literally zero advantage of having a high numbered card. Sure you can move around the rhondel in larger increments, but really, who cares? They offer less resources, obviously as a trade-off for "the benefit" of moving more spaces, but that's not really any advantage as far as I can tell. What am I missing? In all the games my wife and I played, we targeted the low number cards, every time. The only real strategy we could see was to just not get two of the same number card in your hand so as to guarantee movement options at turn time, but that had no relation to getting a high numbered card or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Farmer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Why go for low number cards?
Maneuverability on the rondel is important, so having a range of numbers in your hand is useful. Plus, low numbered cards give more resources that you trader in for dogs and their movement. I often find it's worth playing low cards to build up a resource and then exchange it for hearts.

You're moving the exact number of spaces on the rondel equal to the number on the card, right? You're not stopping early?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Peasemeister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
[Edit] I had low/high numbered cards reversed. I've edited my original post.

Yes, I'm traveling the exact number, and yes, I understand the playing mechanics, but high number cards offer FEWER resources than low numbered cards. So in our minds, if a low card gets revealed, the next player almost always snatches it up on their turn. It's very rare that one goes for a higher card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny M
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's odd. In my version the lower cards give more resources than the higher ones... I too always try to have a range a numbers in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Peasemeister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
jennym wrote:
That's odd. In my version the lower cards give more resources than the higher ones... I too always try to have a range a numbers in hand.

Maybe I have it backwards. I knew I should've checked the game before I posted.

I've edited my post, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I'm wrong but the OP's question was not answered in this exchange. What exactly IS the advantage of high-numbered cards to offset the fact that they offer less resources than low numbered cards? For the record, I do not own nor have I played the game. I'm considering acquiring it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Farmer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a race to get all of your dogs to the end of their courses, so being able to take the "obstacle" actions on the rondel is key. Paying resources to laboriously move your dogs along is less efficient than moving them by taking the action. Even better if 2 or more dogs are on the same obstacle!

Having a range of values is important, some high, some low. A high number card may get you fewer resources, but it can be worth more if used properly. A 9 card will take you all the way around the rondel to the space behind the one you started on. Pretty useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. Thanks Eric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Peasemeister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
WellMoustachioed wrote:
Having a range of values is important, some high, some low. A high number card may get you fewer resources, but it can be worth more if used properly. A 9 card will take you all the way around the rondel to the space behind the one you started on. Pretty useful.

Meh, having a mix of cards is useful, yes, but given the choice of more resources or a higher card, the obvious choice is ALWAYS more resources. Moving "lots" of spaces around the rondell isn't really a useful thing, or at least enough more useful to balance the detriment of gaining fewer resources, and that's my contention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Farmer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Peasly23 wrote:
Meh, having a mix of cards is useful, yes, but given the choice of more resources or a higher card, the obvious choice is ALWAYS more resources. Moving "lots" of spaces around the rondell isn't really a useful thing, or at least enough more useful to balance the detriment of gaining fewer resources, and that's my contention.

You're welcome to your opinion, but if you were unwilling to be convinced, why did you ask?

Anyways, enjoy the game. My wife and I added it to our 10x10 for this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Peasemeister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
WellMoustachioed wrote:
Peasly23 wrote:

You're welcome to your opinion, but if you were unwilling to be convinced, why did you ask?

Anyways, enjoy the game. My wife and I added it to our 10x10 for this year.

I'm awaiting a convincing argument. I can be convinced if presented with new compelling evidence, unfortunately, yours wasn't either of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Peasemeister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
After reading this thread to my wife just now, we came up with a house rule that we're gonna try out next time we play.

* Every time one makes it completely around the circle, the player gets 1 free resource. This will incentivize a player to choose high number cards at the expense of gaining fewer resources. Like Monopoly's "Pass GO and get $200".

I think I'm happy with this resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.