BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How have you decorated your game playing space? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our dining room should actually be called our game room, as we are philistines who tend to eat dinner in the living room while watching TV, while our dining room has three full kallax units and a table which is used exclusively for gaming (unless we've actually had someone over for dinner!)

Yesterday I ordered two posters from Etsy, one called "The Meeples" which mimics The Beatles Abbey Road album cover, only with meeples, and the other a travel poster style 'Visit the Castles of Burgundy'. I'm sure there will be more to follow as we embrace making the dining room the 'game room'. A map of Middle Earth has been discussed for years, as our list of favourite games includes LOTR:TCG and War of the Ring, and lately the old classic Reiner Knizia board game Lord of the Rings. We've got two walls to dedicate tto board game art and we're going to go for it!

How have you decorated your game room or playing space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I don`t...because I don`t have a game playing space like that. But the game I play a lot may decorate my dining table for days before I put it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:
I don`t...because I don`t have a game playing space like that. But the game I play a lot may decorate my dining table for days before I put it away.

Okay, if you could, what would you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
My dream is to buy an appartment with an extra room I can decorate for boardgames. But right now I don`t plan on moving from my appartment, as I have recently spent $2-3000 to renew it... I would LOVE a boardgame table, but my living room is way too small to fit a big enough table for what I would need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:
My dream is to buy an appartment with an extra room I can decorate for boardgames. But right now I don`t plan on moving from my appartment, as I have recently spent $2-3000 to renew it... I would LOVE a boardgame table, but my living room is way too small to fit a big enough table for what I would need.

I feel you, we lived in a flat for 15 years before we had saved up enough for a down payment on a house. There was no room for a table at all, nor space to store board games. We didn't start the hobby until we moved to a house!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
My boardgame shelves are ever expanding. Now I will try to make some new storage for small components and games, and see if I get some more room in the bigger shelves for the bigger games. I often open it to my guests, as a way to display where I can decorate for gaming. Games lined alphabetically, a meeple tote bag (and some swimming prizes...). You can`t miss what my interests are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
callme DESDINOVA
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solanum wrote:
How have you decorated your game room or playing space?

If I had a game room, I would hang some of my favorite Wargame maps on the wall. As well as being decorative, it would make setting up the game faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear people hang their Crokinole board on the wall for decoration, and also to get it away from taking room on the floor, and stuff. I am not quite there to hang it up. Also I don`t have one of those really nice boards. I have a cheaper model...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alani Mani
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to one day use some game boxes for decoration. Many games have such nice cover artwork and we only ever see the sides of them in the shelves. So in my distant future game room (which would still be shared for another purpose) I will install some narrow shelves. The good things with this approach: you can alter the displayed game now and then, appreciate the gorgeous art and can display the games you would like to play at that point in time. They will get more attention from whoever you invite for game nights and people might therefore ask for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a constant battle between wanting a better decorated and cleaner dining room and the fact that my roommate is an artist who constantly sets up stuff like his air brush there and doesn't have an official spot to put them otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Jesus
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solanum wrote:
Yesterday I ordered two posters from Etsy, one called "The Meeples" which mimics The Beatles Abbey Road album cover, only with meeples, and the other a travel poster style 'Visit the Castles of Burgundy'.

Would you like to post a picture when you put them up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawaran wrote:
I'm looking forward to one day use some game boxes for decoration. Many games have such nice cover artwork and we only ever see the sides of them in the shelves. So in my distant future game room (which would still be shared for another purpose) I will install some narrow shelves. The good things with this approach: you can alter the displayed game now and then, appreciate the gorgeous art and can display the games you would like to play at that point in time. They will get more attention from whoever you invite for game nights and people might therefore ask for it.

That is a FANTASTIC idea and I think I will steal it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ritajesus wrote:
Solanum wrote:
Yesterday I ordered two posters from Etsy, one called "The Meeples" which mimics The Beatles Abbey Road album cover, only with meeples, and the other a travel poster style 'Visit the Castles of Burgundy'.

Would you like to post a picture when you put them up?

Will do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara McNeely
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
"Songe d'Automne"
mb
My husband and I are the same. Our dining room is really our "game room" as we eat up upstairs 99% of the time. Only for Christmas and Thanksgiving does the game table make way for dinner.

I have a wall that is kind of a "gallery" of framed promos, a split monopoly/clue board (our favorite childhood games), a neat vintage ring toss game that now doubles as our con badge holder.

On another wall we have an old chalk board that we update with our top ten games (my husband is a hidden artist!) This pic is old and dark, sorry!

I also have a small vintage candy machine filled with dice on display and an old D&D book. I love keeping my eye out for old games to display too.

If you haven't checked it out already there is a great list of geek rooms here:
The Geeklist of Game Rooms!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My gameroom is decorated with a pile of boxes in one corner, packs of sleeves scattered around, and the occasional styrofoam peanut scittering around like a tumbleweed. whistle Lets just call it a work in progress.

I want to put up game-related art, either expansion boxes or canvas paintings of game components (I’m working on a set of Azul tiles, but have struggled to make time to finish them). So many game-related projects!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When shopping for our current home, we specifically chose one that had an office/game room large enough that I could feel free to do what I want with it and not offend the misses.

Because I'm as much a video and role playing gamer as I am board gamer, I've ended up decorating with all manner of posters and such.

I have an assortment of Atari cover art from the Age of Atari collection. I have my "three pillars of Nintendo" posters (Mario 3, Legend of Zelda and Metroid posters). A poster of Mega Man and his numerous villains. I have a few select favorite covers from Uncanny X-Men. In the corner with my RPG shelf, I have a LotR "Sting" replica that someone gave me and a few other fantasy-esque knick-knacks.

Nothing super fancy but it helps give the room some charm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nace
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, my gaming room is also my dining room. Someday maybe I will have a gaming space but not in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandeminatic wrote:
Nope, my gaming room is also my dining room. Someday maybe I will have a gaming space but not in the near future.

There's no reason you can't eat in a room that has board game decor, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Solanum wrote:
Pandeminatic wrote:

Yeah, a wife who loves playing games but doesn’t want our house decorated as such!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Solanum wrote:
Pandeminatic wrote:

Yeah, a wife who loves playing games but doesn’t want our house decorated as such!

Oh what a shame. I'm the gamer in the family and also the wife, so I get a dining room decorated with gaming stuff. We live in a geek house. I already have an image of Laurel & Hardy up in the dining room. Going up the stairs we have framed posters from 1950s science fiction movies. Hanging over the landing is a 1983 CETK cinema poster and a signed poster for Star Wars Celebration Japan (signed by Jake). What are we without our geekdom? What I ask you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"Old does not mean dead! New does not mean best! No hard feelings I'm tired of being right about everything I've said! Yours does not mean mine! Kill does not mean die! We are not your kind! No excuses I CHALLENGE YOU TO ALL OUT FUCKING LIFE!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!

Our basement is our gaming space, we have a solo table set up and a multiplayer table set up.

Near the solo table I have a few military prints, jets, tanks, Spartan print that is also my avatar, etc. Also original photos of my Grandfather with his squadron mates in the Mighty 8th in front of their B-24 and then B-17 respectively.

Near our multiplayer game table we have various Funko Pops! of our various shared interests, Star Wars, Alien, Predator, Lord of the Rings, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Solanum wrote:
SuperGLS wrote:
Solanum wrote:
Pandeminatic wrote:

Oh what a shame. I'm the gamer in the family and also the wife, so I get a dining room decorated with gaming stuff. We live in a geek house. I already have an image of Laurel & Hardy up in the dining room. Going up the stairs we have framed posters from 1950s science fiction movies. Hanging over the landing is a 1983 CETK cinema poster and a signed poster for Star Wars Celebration Japan (signed by Jake). What are we without our geekdom? What I ask you!

As long as we have a table and chairs to play the games I’m happy. The rest of the house could be decorated with cactus and igloo posters and I wouldn’t care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Solanum wrote:
SuperGLS wrote:
Solanum wrote:
Pandeminatic wrote:

As long as we have a table and chairs to play the games I’m happy. The rest of the house could be decorated with cactus and igloo posters and I wouldn’t care.

That could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ideally I'd have all the games stored/displayed on the walls vertically in a mosaic type effect... so effectively floor to ceiling gamebox wallpaper on all walls of the gaming room area.

The practicality of doing that is somewhat complicated of course which is why I (and most others I assume)... opt for more traditional shelving options that stack/stand games beside each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.