Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Bit of a rant, sorry up front.

My family and I played the sunken treasure one a few months back and had great fun. What wonders a small box could contain. The destruction and folding was good fun too and rather different than other types of games.

So we ended up getting the Abandoned Cabin and played last night.

It was rather a rinse/repeat feeling. Besides that the theme obviously was different and the puzzles themselves had a different "skin", the game itself felt rather copy paste. Even some of the more "hidden" stuff (dont want to spoil it).

While it was still a nice evening, I must say that I am not inclined to buy another of the Exit boxes.

Is this just bad luck on those 2 boxes, or is this a general trait? And where can we find the wonderful excitement of the first box again in other products?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With more and more companies cashing in on the escape room craze, there will inevitably be some repetition of puzzle types. I personally find the Exit series to have enough variety to keep coming back. My bigger pet peeve is bad puzzle design (which they, like all companies, have been guilty of from time to time). My recommendation to you may be to buy 1 game from each different escape series out there if you want it to feel unique each time. Even there you will still experience similar puzzle types, but the structure/game mechanics may still liven it up for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did The Abandoned Cabin and then The Secret Lab. They have the same mechanisms. The Pharoah's Tomb and The Sinister Mansion are on my shelf and have the same puzzle wheel and deck of cards.

This list looks comprehensive and current: Escape Room Boardgames List

Here is a link to actual escape rooms in Sweden: https://www.escaperoomsmaster.com/escape-rooms-in-sweden/

A boardgame has more limitations than a physical Escape Room, but it is also a fraction of the price. I found these Exit games to be harder than was fun and also too similar. I reset the two I did and have passed them to friends, so the value for cost was decent.

I also did Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor which was easier than them (we were challenged but not frustrated) with more story aspects in the components. There are online directions for how to reset it to pass along to someone else.

I think it would be best to find a game from another series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pan Daemonium
msg tools
Hi

Having played through the first five of the series (The Forbidden Castle was damaged and we are waiting for a change), I would say that all of those gave me the feeling of rinse and repeat, although they incorporate at least one new element in every box. I think the best of those is The Abandoned Cabin. I loved the fact that you actually have to imagine yourself inside of the cabin. It was the first game in the series, so it is the simplest one, but not the easiest one.

Yesterday we unboxed The Sunken Treasure and Dead Man on the Orient Express. Both of those appear to have new puzzle elements using components that the previous games did not have. Orient Express look amazing, I look forward to play that one. Looks like the most innovative in the series as far as I have gotten into.

I think jumping companies is the best way to get variety, but sticking to one gets you the chance to become good at solving some types of puzzles, and that allows for the designers to build more complex concepts for the game.

Maybe you could try the games they designed after Sunken Treasure, instead of the ones before.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I loved the first wave.
The others? Not so much.

The first wave (Cabin\Pharoh\Lab) were pretty straight forward and were fun.

The others felt both repeated stuff and some stuff that was completely obtuse to us.

I also don't like the fact that some times you are forced to tear things down - but you have no way of knowing for sure that you do.

What if you guessed wrong? What if that's a mistake?

It could possibly mess up another riddle later on.

On that aspect, I actually slightly prefer the Unlocked! series.
(Though it has it's own issues)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:

I also don't like the fact that some times you are forced to tear things down - but you have no way of knowing for sure that you do.

What if you guessed wrong? What if that's a mistake?

It could possibly mess up another riddle later on.
I like to photocopy the booklet. But that doesn't work so well when the front and back of the page is needed together, as I found in one case. It does let me reset the game and give it away and feel that the cost is somewhat better than for single use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tech no
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dear Original Poster,
You are suffering from “the very first time” withdrawal. What you are feeling is very natural and you are not alone. You can find solace in any number of songs dedicated to the subject (can be found with an internet search). You will learn that this is not the last time you will come across this in life. But to answer your question Yes the other Exit the game in the series are also exit games. In all games I have played you solve a series of puzzles to win the game. Every time I play Sodoku the numbers and placements are different but the rules are the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.