Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just love games where I get to level up, fight monster and find loot. I am just now playing Runebound 3rd ed (with Unbreakable Bonds) and it is almost great, but I find the build-up phase to be too short. I would like to spend more time adventuring and finding loot before I have to finish the scenario. The game is also a bit hard. I know I could house-rule the game, and I am seriously considering this, but it would probably mess up the balance of the scenarios.

Mage Knight I tried a few times but felt it was too thinky and I never got to the point where the rules felt intuitive to me. I had to go to the rulebook pretty much all the time.

Talisman is too simple, not what I am looking for this time.

Clank! is a fun deck-builder with some loot, but I would prefer more RPGlike elements with skills and stats and stuff.

Most fun I have had in ths genre is probably Runebound 2nd ed with the Al-Kalim expansion. Alas, my friend has now sold that game so I have no access to it any more.

Is the there any other game out there that would be right for me?
*Campaign is not important. One-off games is what I am looking for.
*Co-op or solo of biggest interest.
*I loves games with loads of stuff, so if there is variety in loot and monsters, this is a plus.

All suggestions, including those slightly off-target, is of interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Nichol
Ireland
flag msg tools

Darkest Night?

As per your requirements, it has;

Co-op

Solo

“Loads of stuff” (I.e. loot, monsters etc.)

It IS a challenge of a game to play, but not insurmountable.

I liked the premise too. Essentially, you’re a band of guerrilla fighters who are trying to stop a Necromancer who has ALREADY laid waste to the entire land, before the game has even started, he’s on the front footing, and you, the back!

I have the first edition version and all it’s expansions and it’s easily one of the most beautiful games in my collection. Unique artwork on ALL the cards, a jigsaw assembly board, it’s own unique dice tower. Granted, it doesn’t hit the table THAT often, but when it does, it’s a special gaming moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say, take a look at Too Many Bones.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Spiller
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at The City of Kings.
* It has a campaign and one shot scenarios.
* Plays well 1-4 players. (you have to play two characters when playing solo.
* It has loads of stuff . Monsters get random abilities that differ each time you play. The map is modular and randomized for each play.
* It has character progression with skill trees. If you play only short scenarios the differences don't seem to be significant, but if you play longer scenarios or progress in the story the skill trees will feel absolutely different.
* The fights are more of a strategic puzzle than mindless dice chucking but it is not as heavy as Mage Knight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure you can still find copies of Prophecy on the cheap.

I have it and both expansions and after playing twice with them, we took them out. We play basegame only now. They just made the game longer and were not that interesting (to us).

The base game is still great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d say Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game also fits the bill.

And you should take a look to Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom. Chances are it will blow your mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Awesome suggestions! Darkest Night and City of Kings are even available in stores. Will start consuming reviews now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.