Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the week behind us it's time to post your week's mini-session reports and stories to answer our favorite question:

mbmbWhat did you play this week? - Edition 521
mbmbcorn This week's WDYPTW Geeklist
mbmbcorn WDYPTW subscription thread
mbmbcorn The WDYPTW Guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What Did You Play This Week? #520 - 04/15/19 - 04/21/19
Some space for gaming...

Tuesday
1x - Pulsar 2849 - mb

Wednesday
1x - Forbidden Island - mb
mb - 3.0 mi in 23:45 (7:55)

Thursday
1x - Pulsar 2849 - mb
mb - 5.08 mi in 40:49 (8:02)
1x - Everdell - mb

Friday
1x - Terraforming Mars - mb

Saturday
mb - 7.0 mi in 58:53 (8:25)

Sunday
1x - Skull King

This was a busy work week yet somehow my wife and I squeezed in a few morning games with a couple with friends and family. I also recorded my 70th play of Terraforming Mars.

meeple Keep playing...
BK's Hardcore 10x10 in 2019 List 38/100
BK's Solo 10x10 in 2019 List 37/100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprawlopolis xd10-1d10-9
All solo. This game is hard.

Palm Island xd10-6
Playing this to do my review is actually a chore.

The Grizzled: Armistice Edition NEW! xd10-2
2 players, played the tutorial and chapter 1. We failed both to unlucky draws, it was close.

Aeon's End xd10-1
I won my marathon game against Wraithmonger.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game xd10-1
Heart of the Elders, A. Won but misplayed 4 things

Mystic Vale xd10-1
Game 3 of our campaign. Won by a fair amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7xKeyforge
1xInis (what a great game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Condon-Jones
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Aeon's End xd10-1

If I don’t lose it in a rerun, then I’ve just bought this in a Maths Trade 😁
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Train to Nuremberg
Guilds of London
Architects of the West Kingdom
Root
Twice As Clever
Heroes of Terrinoth
Valeria: Card Kingdoms
Forum Trajanum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuesday night I played Minecraft Card Game? with my son. He played well, and was able to avoid creepers while I lost resources. He won 24-21, and was very proud of his victory.

Wednesday night me and the girls played their new game, Tiny Park. This should be a good game for about a year, before they outgrow it. A nice way to build up some spacial recognition.

Thursday after getting my rear handed to me by two 5 year olds in Tiny Park, I played solo Terraforming Mars with Prelude. This was my worse ever solo game. By far. In the end I barely got oceans out, oxygen was only 8, and temp was down at -4. I couldn’t get any useful cards. I played 1 red, 2 blue, and just 10 green. That was ugly.

Friday night we had a nice game of 4 player Azul. I crushed it. I got two columns completed and 2 full colors completed which boosted my score to 85. The closest other player was just at 72, and the others in the 60s.

Saturday we played some 3 player Spirits of the Forest, while teaching it to one player. It’s been a while since I have played multi player, and I forgot to really watch what others were doing. So I ended up in second place. The next game we played with one of the mini expansions for the first time, which was a nice twist. The player we just taught it to won, and I came in last.

Saturday night we set out to play a game or two of Sagrada, 3 players. We used the private pools from the 5-6 player expansion, as we feel this leads to a lot less hate drafting. In doing so, I concentrated way more on my stuff than what others were doing. The first game, I won by gabbing 63 points, with the closest having just 43. That was an amazing victory. The second game I ratcheted my score up to 70, and the closest had 58. This night is going well. My wife insisted on a third game, which I only got 53, but still won with others having just 47 and 43. So a closer game this time. My wife was irritated that she wasn’t winning, so we played a fourth game. This time my wife finally won with 67, and I ended last with 48 because I could only manage 14 points in the private objective. After 2.5 hours of playing Sagrada, it was time to call it a night. A very successful night for me.

Sunday night was solo Terraforming Mars with Prelude time. First game I played with the Hellas map, which I continue to think is the hardest map to solo. I got my temp up, but the oceans still had 1 left and oxygen was only 9.

Followed that up by a second game, which seemed like it was going great. I had all oceans in generation 9, and temp was fine. But I needed to do a lot to get the oxygen up with standard projects, but finally made it. I was able to score 87 points, which isn’t terrible, but not great either. At least it was a win with Hellas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna: Cave vs Cave - new to me, and really dug it
Twister - as a 31 year old is less a game and more a workout
Flamme Rouge - tried the solo mode. It's ok.
Ear Tug - new to me, a decent game of reaching into a bag and feeling for shapes.
Race to the Treasure! - the nephew is getting much better at tile laying and likes this one a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good week for me!

Monday
Schotten Totten x3. Approaching 100 plays of this game. My wife and I are pretty evenly matched so it’s always a fun game.

Wednesday
Second Chance x2. NEW! One of the most minimalistic roll and writes you can imagine. Going to make a good travel game, but it really feels like it’s just an advertisement for Uwe’s other polyonimo games. Still it was fun because the shapes in this one are more varied.

7 Wonders Duel. Last time it was science, this time it was military. Both times, I lost...

Thursday
Quadropolis. Our first play using the Expert rules/variant. It’ll take more plays, but I think I liked it better. My wife won thanks to getting both monuments and putting a bunch of parks around them.

Friday
Spring Meadow. A quick and rather lopsided win for me 2-0, which is a bit unusual in this game.

Altiplano. I had the three orders/contracts goal so I went really heavy into that and completed 4 of them for 50 something points and ended up winning by 20, mostly thanks to collecting a bunch of glass too.

Saturday
Altiplano. Rematch! My wife won by a few thanks to a bunch of boats and we split the glass pretty evenly.

Sunday
Caverna: Cave vs Cave. Our first play with the expansion. I only won this one thanks to a better first half of the game, we were pretty close in the second half. This expansion adds LOTS of choices and puts a bit of AP into the game, and for us that’s pretty strange because generally that’s not the case with us, even in a game like Fields of Arle. I’m sure with more plays when we know the actions and rooms that’ll lessen. Plus, donkeys!

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @SuperGLS for more of my photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Condon-Jones
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Work
Hanabi 1x2p

I played this with a colleague/intern who’s planning on writing a dissertation about writing AI for board games as this has been suggested as a new challenge now Go has been cracked. Only my second play. There’s some really clever stuff here. You can’t possibly give the other player(s) enough information so they have to infer from not just what you told them, but probably reasons why you chose to tell them that thing.

Welcome To... 1x5p New

Ooh, this game is fun. I snatched a very distant second with my swimming pool heavy strategy. I didn’t get nearly enough fences down though, so half of my houses never wound up being parts of groups.

Family
The Quacks of Quedlinburg 4x2p

My 15 year old daughter and I have a serious rivalry going with this. So far we’ve won two games each.

Solo
Friday 1x1p

The rivalry with my daughter in Quacks ate into the time when I would have played this, so I only got in one game. Level 2 and I won.

Board Game Group
Lost Legacy: The Starship 1x4p

Great little filler for when one player is a few minutes late. I won by having the starship in my hand.

Revolution! 1x5p New
Played wit the expansion that adds extra players and a prison. We all liked this a lot, but damn - I lost humiliatingly. 43 points, when the other players all had between 112 and 143. By coincidence I have just (barring reruns) bought this in a Maths Trade, so I’ll have my own copy - without the expansion. I’ll be sad to see the prison and asylum go, but I think the game might get more interesting with only 9 options to choose between each round.

Cockroach Poker 1x5p New
This was hilarious. Somehow it lasted 44 minutes, and I eventually lost. Definitely want to play again.

Spyfall 2 1x5 New
Wow, this game died badly. The only person who had played it before was totally thrown when asked why he had a bruise on his arm and said he got it playing football (which is true in real life, not the game). Other players got stumped thinking of questions, and the same player was Spice both times, and both times, he ended the game prematurely by wrongly guessing the location. No-one could escape from the game quickly enough.

Shame. I’d like to try this game again, but I don’t think it’s worth it with this group.

The Quacks of Quedlinburg 1x5p (with expansion)
This didn’t go too well either.

One player (who works in a board game cafe) asked to practice teaching the game - based on what he was taught in another board game cafe - then got half of the rules wrong and had to keep being corrected by me, so the player who was new to game was left completely confused. Another player was radiating how much he hates the game throughout it, which brought down the mood a bit. In the end, the new player won (despite not knowing what he was doing). He does want to play again though, so this isn’t dead in our group, depending on who’s there on any given night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Farrell
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few games this week.

Carcassonne x1
Last week my wife and I picked up the Traders & Builders expansion at our local game store, and this was our first time trying it. We both liked it a lot, and had an extremely close game. She edged me a bit when we scored the map but I made up the difference with trader tokens.

Azul x1
Second game with my wife after Carcassonne. We've played Stained Glass of Sintra the last couple of times we played Azul, but returned to the original for this one. I still really enjoy both games.

Cribbage x1
Third and final game of the evening. A classic.

Great Western Trail x1
Another game with just my wife and me, later in the week. This was our first time playing with the Rails to the North expansion. I really enjoyed it but don't consider it essential; GWT has become one of my favorites and I'd happily play the game with or without the expansion. Cindy didn't dive into the expansion content as quickly as I did and so I ended up getting a ton of bonuses for building my branchlets everywhere. She'll do better next time!

Wingspan x1
Played Saturday evening with Cadbury eggs instead of the ones that come with the game. Every time we had to pay an egg cost, we'd eat them instead of returning them to the supply. But by the end of the game we each had 20 or so on our player boards, and we both looked at them and said, "I'm not eating all of those." So it seems there'll be eggs around the house for a while longer.

Bunny Kingdom x1 (new)
A friend who hosts our Sunday night game group wanted to do something Easter-themed, and she came up with Bunny Kingdom! This was a four-player game and was new to all of us. While there's more randomness to the game than I normally care for, I still enjoyed it; I think we all did. Three of us finished very close to one another, but my friend Richard was ahead of us by a fair margin and won himself the coveted title of Big Ears, at least until we play again.

Notre Dame: 10th Anniversary x1 (new)
Our second Sunday night game, chosen for obvious reasons, and again one that was new to all of us. This was only the second Feld game that I've tried, Forum Trajanum being the other, and I think I enjoyed this one more. I managed to edge Big Ears by a couple of points to get the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you all had a good break and did not eat too much chocolate if you are into that! Have a good gaming week.

The Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game x6
Now my most-played game! It saved my play-a-day a few times last week, but I think I need to reach for something else now.

Rifles in the Ardennes x1
I am stuck on mission 1!!!

Reconquista x1 new!

I thoroughly enjoyed this one! It reminds me a bit of Warriors of God, in that it tells a fun, lively, epic tale where all kinds of nuts, interesting things can happen. I'm really impressed with how it does this with fairly short rules. I think this is a genre of games I should delve into a bit more: A high above view, kinda alternate history, good flavour, a bit chaotic, but with some good thematic touches based on what really happened.

I didn't like the original map, so I had a crack at my own by altering an old map. It took a fair while but I enjoyed it. It's a bit busy and not as clear as the original and I fancy trying a map completely my own some time. I got a few ideas after working on this one.

Summoner Wars x1
It was great to get back to this after I think 8 months (!), but I wish we had managed a couple more plays over Easter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Scotland
Motherwell
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to play an epic game of Dune on Saturday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4-player pickup game of 1846: The Race for the Midwest. All were equally not-so-skilled, and it was a fun time! 3 hours for the play, and lots of blocking and jockeying and laughing. Mistakes were made and then someone won.

Played a second game of 1846: The Race for the Midwest, although one player had to leave. This took almost 5 hours as we delved into the decisions and the game state and strategy, rather than focusing on quicker playtime. More mistakes were made (different ones, yay!) and then someone won.

Later in the week, I played a solo game of Brass: Birmingham just to try stuff out. Unfortunately, my theory was backed up by the play, and we'll just have to see if it holds out in plays with other people. While it's not completely degenerative, rushing beer during the Canal Age seemed to depress the industry building and flipping, and really constrain the options available to other players in the Rail Age. Not ideal.

And then I played a 2-player game of Harbour. Fun game, worker placement, and neat art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spring Line
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my 12 year old requested Martinique!
That's it. 70 degrees in Wisconsin, we were OUTSIDE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Solenia, Nexus Ops, Capital Lux
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Scottsville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Busy week, didn't play much this week...

Friday Managed to get a round of Bohnanza (4-player)after going to see Jerry Seinfeld live.

Saturday 2-player game of Imhotep, I won due to 6 Statue cards, which was interesting as I have never managed to get more than 2-3 in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dancj wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Aeon's End xd10-1

This game is awesome! I tried it out this month and it's on my radar to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday:
Star Realms x d10-2
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure with the kids

Monday:
Star Realms x d10-2

Tuesday:
Star Realms
Lords of Waterdeep

Wednesday:
Star Realms x d10-2
Lords of Waterdeep

Thursday:
Star Realms x d10-2
Xia: Legends of a Drift System - Solo variant. Incredibly fun game!

Friday:
Star Realms
Lords of Waterdeep

Saturday:
At Geek Game Day (local event in Arlington, Tx with our game group) I played:
The Ancient World (2e KS) NEW! - with friends. I didn't teach this one.
Sagrada - with friends and co-coordinators of the event. I taught this game.
Azul - with my wife and kids who came to show support.
Concordia - With friends. I taught this game. Had the chance to play Salsa but was too tired to learn the additional rules.

Note: This was our 6th Geek Game Day on April 20, 2019 from 10am to 10pm. Our first event with our newly designed logo and we had a t-shirt for the first time! This was also our first time hosting the event at the Arlington Public Library. We had over 140 participants and 100+ games played. This was the first time about 90-100 people participated in a Geek Game Day. We gave away like 70-75 games/prizes.

Sunday
• Exploding Kittens with kids
• New Munchkin version with kids
• XIA - Solo variant. Again. Incredibly fun game! I need to open & punch out the expansions to try them out.

Challenges

10 x 10: Challenge
40/100

250 Game Plays Challenge COMPLETE!
250 / 250
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zafin wrote:
dancj wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Aeon's End xd10-1

It's pretty good yeah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Zafin wrote:
dancj wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Aeon's End xd10-1

It's pretty good yeah

This is the equivalent of a Steam review:

XXX - Played: 3000 hours.
"It's ok"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Zafin wrote:
dancj wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Aeon's End xd10-1

It's pretty good yeah

This is the equivalent of a Steam review:

XXX - Played: 3000 hours.
"It's ok"

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 x Hero Realms -- first time I've played it.
1 x Saint Petersburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Condon-Jones
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zafin wrote:
dancj wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Aeon's End xd10-1

The Maths Trade is finalised now, so it’s mine!

Still not sure whether to play with my game group or keep it as a solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dancj wrote:
The Maths Trade is finalised now, so it’s mine!

Still not sure whether to play with my game group or keep it as a solo.

Then do both laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.