Viticulture Essential Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Just bought this and I'm excited! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture has been on my wish list since Nov 2017 and I just ordered this morning. So excited!

Now think back to when you were a dewy-eyed noob to this game. What advice can you give me that you wish you'd known back then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get workers (this is worker placement after all)
Work with the cards, not against them. They should form part of your strategy, but not define it.
Just because you have 3 fields, does not mean you need to plant and harvest all of them.
Your grande worker is precious, learn when to use them and when to save them.

Most of all, I envy your discovery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just have fun!

Oh... and be prepared to think about Viticulture at odd and random times even when you aren't playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Fowler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Get the Tuscany expansion. In general, I’m wary of expansions, so I didn’t get Tuscany. But once I played it, I realized that I now always want to play with the Tuscany board. You’re a serious gamer, so I’d suggest you get it right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martinfowlercom wrote:
Get the Tuscany expansion. In general, I’m wary of expansions, so I didn’t get Tuscany. But once I played it, I realized that I now always want to play with the Tuscany board. You’re a serious gamer, so I’d suggest you get it right away.

I've already informed the hubster that I've ordered Viticulture and he's expected to pick up Tuscany at some point, but I'd like to play the base game first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Viticulture, Carla! I'd recommend playing the core game a few times before considering any expansions.

A few tips:

--You're going to draw a lot of cards in Viticulture. Some of them will fit the strategy you're already pursuing; others may ask you to consider detours. It's okay to not maximize or even use every card.
--Get a few grape tokens on your crush pad as early as possible. They'll age each year without you having to do anything.
--Get a few wine order cards fairly early in the game so you know what to aim for (i.e., don't wait until late in the game to figure out what your goals are).
--There are 3 available fields, but you don't need to use all of them. If fact, 1 really good field that you harvest consistently can often be all you need.
--Money is important in Viticulture, but unlike other games, *accumulating* money isn't important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omertron wrote:

However, you can often find yourself with little productive to do with a 6th worker even in Tuscany, and sometimes with a 5th in the original Viticulture. So, don't overdo on workers, either. Efficiency will reap better rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
--There are 3 available fields, but you don't need to use all of them. If fact, 1 really good field that you harvest consistently can often be all you need.
In fact selling one or even two early in the game can give you a much needed boost to your engine.
And I second get extra workers soonest. But you usually don't need them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
EricHogue wrote:
Omertron wrote:

However, you can often find yourself with little productive to do with a 6th worker even in Tuscany, and sometimes with a 5th in the original Viticulture. So, don't overdo on workers, either. Efficiency will reap better rewards.

In base game I can maybe see your point, but in Tuscany, there is always something good to do. Even in Winter, you can take a powerful structure card if playing with Structures. With Special Workers the options are even better. I aim to train both Special Workers in year 1 of Tuscany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Strong
United States
Springville
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
My advice is have fun! This is a truly excellent game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
In base game I can maybe see your point, but in Tuscany, there is always something good to do. Even in Winter, you can take a powerful structure card if playing with Structures. With Special Workers the options are even better. I aim to train both Special Workers in year 1 of Tuscany.

Structures cards rarely do you much good if you get them at the end of year 4 in a 6-year game.

Training both special workers can be strong. So can getting a field panted and harvested, or getting an active tasting room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
EricHogue wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

Structures cards rarely do you much good if you get them at the end of year 4 in a 6-year game.

Training both special workers can be strong. So can getting a field panted and harvested, or getting an active tasting room.

There are early and late game structures. If I get a late game one at the the end of year 4, then I'm very happy.

I'd only go with the Tasting Room in Tuscany if the Mama+Papa gave me cards and/or the TR structure to lead me in this direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Martinez
United States
Arlington
Va
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What a welcome! The designer himself pops in to give you game advice. This is a wonderful hobby and Viticulture is a great game with or without the expansion. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
There are early and late game structures. If I get a late game one at the the end of year 4, then I'm very happy.

I'd only go with the Tasting Room in Tuscany if the Mama+Papa gave me cards and/or the TR structure to lead me in this direction.

With only two years to go, you have the money and action space room to construct a structure you were lucky to get, but you don't think you had extra resources on hand from all the workers?

I agree the Tasting Room is situation. So is pumping out 2-3 workers in the first year. That was my point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Williams
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I love eurogames :)
badge
Can't wait for BGG con!
mbmbmbmbmb
Solanum wrote:
Viticulture has been on my wish list since Nov 2017 and I just ordered this morning. So excited!

Now think back to when you were a dewy-eyed noob to this game. What advice can you give me that you wish you'd known back then?

You're going to love it! I've seen your name a lot on Clans of Caledonia, so I feel we have similar taste. That being said my spouse doesn't love Clans (a bit too heavy for her) and the nice thing with Viticulture is it plays quicker and easier.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Williams
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I love eurogames :)
badge
Can't wait for BGG con!
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Welcome to Viticulture, Carla! I'd recommend playing the core game a few times before considering any expansions.

A few tips:

--You're going to draw a lot of cards in Viticulture. Some of them will fit the strategy you're already pursuing; others may ask you to consider detours. It's okay to not maximize or even use every card.
--Get a few grape tokens on your crush pad as early as possible. They'll age each year without you having to do anything.
--Get a few wine order cards fairly early in the game so you know what to aim for (i.e., don't wait until late in the game to figure out what your goals are).
--Money is important in Viticulture, but unlike other games, *accumulating* money isn't important.

Jamie, you're awesome. Giving advice to a noobie on your own game. Pretty much this sums up everything that is amazing on BGG. FYI, love your game. You give my wife and I many wonderful days together.
THANKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joe! I love hearing when couples connect over our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi you guys (and the most awesome Jamey), I just played through two handed (Rahdo style, only a lot slower and with fewer do-overs) as a test run. My opponent beat me 24 to 21. I was Yellow and phantom opponent was Blue. I was SO tempted not to let Blue do what I saw was a great opportunity because I'd already used my Grande worker and knew I would then lose. But I didn't cheat and darn the luck. He won.

I tried it using the glass-tokens-on-the-wake-up-track-so-2-players-can-get-bonuses variant.

I probably didn't get everything right, but pretty close.

I was sat there at the end looking at everything -- Carcassonne and Castles of Burgundy have trained me that euros involve adding up all the unfinished business to reach a final score, but in this game, no. Why not? We both have grapes on the crush pad, wine in the cellars, vines in the fields, and money in the bank. Why can't we add that up to get a final score?

Also, what happened in this game was, Blue player was at 19 on the track at the end of the previous year and got the first player token. So he selected 6 on the wake up track and of course took the bonus point, pushing him to 20. As it was the beginning of the year, I took the rule book to mean that we should play out the year. Didn't see any point in prolonging the matter, so ended summer for both players without using any workers, collected autumn cards and went straight to winter where further action resulted in the end score. Did I do this correctly?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Carcassonne and Castles of Burgundy have trained me that euros involve adding up all the unfinished business to reach a final score, but in this game, no. Why not?"

Because Viticulture is different than those games! If you'd like to leverage those resources more, there are a few new actions on the Tuscany Essential board that use them.

You are correct that you always play through each entire year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls