Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this game for decades, set it up once for the basic game and then put it up after maybe a turn. I have finally dusted it off and want to make sure that I'm playing correctly.

First, errata -- is there any? Specifically, is Enrico correct in his videos about the position of the Tau Ceti and Mu Herculis tracks being reversed for Isotopes S/D modifiers?

Second, on News. Enrico states that you have to send a ship to pick up a ship if the Any Ship opportunity comes out. I can see how you'd have to send a ship to pick up an illegal commodity, but can't you just claim the event, pay for the ship and fly it off the planet without going to get it? Why would you need to send a ship to pick up . . . a ship?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Doug1020 wrote:
First, errata -- is there any? Specifically, is Enrico correct in his videos about the position of the Tau Ceti and Mu Herculis tracks being reversed for Isotopes S/D modifiers?

There was never anything official in the subsequent issues of Ares and SPI went under just a few months later. Reversed modifiers is just a speculation, although a popular one, based on the relative ease of abuse of the Tau Ceti factories ("pump and dump") and inconsistency with the way factories and modifiers were placed in other systems (and the world creation rules compatible with Universe RPG).

Doug1020 wrote:
Second, on News. Enrico states that you have to send a ship to pick up a ship if the Any Ship opportunity comes out. I can see how you'd have to send a ship to pick up an illegal commodity, but can't you just claim the event, pay for the ship and fly it off the planet without going to get it? Why would you need to send a ship to pick up . . . a ship?

If you look at 6.2, the last three sentences describe requirement to buy illegal hull and/or pods. It says that you do need to have a spaceship On Planet if you want to purchase "pods only", but there's nothing indicating similar requirements for "hull only" and "hull with pods".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Witold. Another question just came up. One faction bought a smuggling ship and just landed at Mu Herculis to pick up Opportunity 1, Slaves. The rules say that the cost should be stated, but I'm assuming that the "(1)" in the description refers to quantity, not cost.

Do you roll on the Black Market Table to find the cost? What if you roll a 6, meaning the best you could do is break even? Is there any other benefit to successful delivery, like maybe a +1 to criminal contacts? Seems like a poor option for making money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Yes, 1 is the cost per unit. Quantity is always the same: you can purchase up to 10 units of illegal commodity from the News chit, assuming your ship(s) have the capacity to carry it, of course (in 6.2 as well).

Black Market table is only to find out the price you sell at. The only modifier to Black Market roll is +2 from one of the agents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A decent general rule to live by is that if you have a rules question about Star Trader, ask a Pole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zimnicki
msg tools
Doug1020 wrote:
First, errata -- is there any?

In another thread they wondered about Monogram Industries victory conditions.

( https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1757356/monogram-industries... )

Monogram Industries is a corporation you can play fairly often when choosing the corporations scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zimnicki
msg tools
Doug1020 wrote: "I have finally dusted it off and want to make sure that I'm playing correctly".

Doug Mann, you are gonna need home-made "trade resolved" chits. Basically, the player who won initiative (usually the one which gave the most for efficiency of his company this turn) decides about the order in which goods are traded. This way he can sell one good and buy something else for the profit the same turn. Also, he can observe price changes in one system and then decide how much he wants to buy in another system. This can be explained by his company being more efficient this turn.

This reflects both salaries (which are present in the game, although as a optional rule) and influence of costs on company's efficiency. However to resolve trade in another order than "top-down" and "from left to right" you need your own "trade resolved" chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Bolid wrote:
However to resolve trade in another order than "top-down" and "from left to right" you need your own "trade resolved" chits.

Not necessarily so, you just need a way to mark the respective commodities - it can be as simple as moving them slightly above or below the price track (and then move them back to the track when all trading is completed). Which can be clumsy, but so would be using 18 additional chits.

Bolid wrote:
This reflects both salaries (which are present in the game, although as a optional rule) and influence of costs on company's efficiency.

Do you mean crew salaries? I'm not sure how this is related.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we've never had difficulty keeping track of which commodities have been checked yet per turn. For the sake of brevity the person with initiative usually just does whatever they want to do in order, then asks everyone else if they have any bids they'd like to resolve. If not clockwise.

NBD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zimnicki
msg tools
Perf wrote:
Bolid wrote:
However to resolve trade in another order than "top-down" and "from left to right" you need your own "trade resolved" chits.

Not necessarily so, you just need a way to mark the respective commodities - it can be as simple as moving them slightly above or below the price track (and then move them back to the track when all trading is completed). Which can be clumsy, but so would be using 18 additional chits.

Bolid wrote:
This reflects both salaries (which are present in the game, although as a optional rule) and influence of costs on company's efficiency.

Do you mean crew salaries? I'm not sure how this is related.

Well, it is. Winning initiative means being the first in battle and choosing order in which you are moving ships. This has a lot in common with being the most efficient company during this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.