7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Knock off rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I encountered a Chinese knock off of a game today. Have never seen one before, never really thought I would, but I knew what it was instantly.

My friend bought a copy of Ticket To Ride Europe, for $30. A bargain (it usually retails for $65+), and he did wonder why it was so cheap. We figured it out as soon as he took the shrink-wrap off...

The box was crap, to start with. Apart from the poorly reproduced graphics (the scan lost a lot of definition, the colours were dull, and the lines were murky), the box was not wrapped in a printed cover that hid the thick card structure; it was barely thicker than a cereal packet, printed on directly, and had bare flaps at the sides that were glued to each other. Reminded me of some poor jigsaw puzzle boxes.

The board was similarly poorly printed on rubbish card (the red tracks were dried-blood-brown), the cards were almost paper, the pieces were poor imitations of the real ones, and the wooden scoring markers were replaced with hollow plastic bits. Only the rulebook seemed even vaguely like the original, and even then it was on lighter, less glossy paper (and again a poor scan).

This is the second cheap game he's bought from that shop - we don't wonder about the odd mis-prints from the last one any more...

For any Australians who might be tempted to buy the cheap games from I Love This Shop, be aware that it looks like they are cheap because they aren't the real thing. The also sell a cheap (undoubtedly KO) Catan and Codenames, at the very least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Jason
Can you report them to police / trading standards?

I know for the cost of a single game it seems trivial / not worth the effort, but this is commercial fraud, and that can grow to be a genuine blight if not forcibly addressed.

Alternatively, simply alert the publisher, so they can pursue if they deem it important to them.

Regards
Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Condon-Jones
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I bought a knock-off TTR: Europe on eBay and found it to be surprisingly good. The board and box were a little duller, and the board was thin. The cards felt great with a nice linen finish, but didn’t survive shuffling well. When you you unfolded the board it didn’t quite meet up properly. The wooden bits were fine. The trains were pretty good, but a bit chunkier and less well defined. Also a few trains were missing. The instructions were perfect.

Generally I was supervised a knock-off could be this good - but it was still a knock-off so I got a refund and eventually got a genuine copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
China and knock-offs? Who'd of thought?

Before you know it, they'll be spying on us, or stealing technology under the guise of trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
spanna wrote:
Hi Jason

At the very least, the police should bring China in for questioning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Highland Cow wrote:
spanna wrote:
Hi Jason

At the very least, the police should bring China in for questioning.

Chyna denies all knowledge of alleged board game fraud (and anyway, the referee's back was turned at the time, so it doesn't count).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.