Popular Tags: [View All]
James Patrick McGowan
Mexico
Los Mochis
Sinaloa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short of news running to Gencon, this could be the big reveal at the show, and the big reason for secrecy.

Due to the popularity of the Scythe's legacy expansion, this could really be a big seller.

Sign me up if it's true, and colour me mega excited for the next reveal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I'm not a legacy person, but if this happens, I will be all...over...it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How would this work?
The app deletes the scenarios after you've played them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
How would this work?
The app deletes the scenarios after you've played them?

send a virus to device. First meta legacy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Tear down the 4th wall."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
also what secrecy are we talking about?..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sail OS
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mordai wrote:
also what secrecy are we talking about?..

Yeah, FFG have had a bunch of releases, including a major recent Lord Of The Rings release that uses a similar app, and (maybe?) the same team who usually have their time dedicated to the Imperial Assault/Mansions Of Madness apps.

The last expansion for Mansions Of Madness came out fairly recently too, so I don't know where the rumours/suggestion the company are putting effort and development time into a Legacy release.

I'd be interested if they did, but are there any sources for this, or is this just speculation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think we need a legacy expansion, simply a campaign will do.

Also, Netrunner: Terminal Directive didn't so well which was FFG's last legacy affair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy, I hope not as i don't buy into the hype train on this style of game. FFG needs to stay away from that..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played a legacy game, but understand that many involve writing on game resources and/or destroying them... I don't think I'm comfortable doing either to my iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
FFGs expansions are expensive enough without me having to tear them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Alfredsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A MoM legacy world probably be a box with several boxes inside. Each of which you're directed to open by the app as they're needed. Inside some boxers would be Stickers that allow you to change the stats or abilities of your investigators as directed by the campaign.

I doesn't think they'd take the route of destroying anything. That Said, they probably aren't doing this at all really
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i hope they do not make a legacy version. I dont see the point or how this would add anything. Perhaps an example of how you think a legacy treatment might be done. Changing your stats can already be done with improvement tokens I could see them as a reward between scenarios. I just cant think of anything that would be needed to be a box in a box that i am directed to open that the app could not handle already.

Perhaps you mean a campaign play since legacy games are also campaign games (i cant think of an exception to this)

I agree a campaign would be fun to try. something like a 3 scenarios long campaign would be a welcome addition. I would want it to focus on the story. I dont want to be playing 15+ sessions of me running around killing mythos beasts, if i wanted something like that I would play one of the other countless games in that vein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dewinduvae wrote:
A MoM legacy world probably be a box with several boxes inside. Each of which you're directed to open by the app as they're needed. Inside some boxers would be Stickers that allow you to change the stats or abilities of your investigators as directed by the campaign.

I doesn't think they'd take the route of destroying anything. That Said, they probably aren't doing this at all really

What about a box, with several littler boxes inside, and inside those are still littler boxes. And inside those! you can see where I'm going with this... Finally you get to a very small bit of paper that directs you to where you can download the next chapter. You rip up the paper once installed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
A multi-session investigation would be nice. Mini-Campaign if you will. I enjoyed Rising Tide and how it handled progression - would like to see that taken to the next level where the app also stores the investigators state between sessions (items, health, etc) so we can investigate a string of crimes that eventually culminate in a larger plot.

Doesn't need to be legacy with stickers or the like - as it would branch a couple ways much like the imperial assault (non-app)campaign worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W.A. Seaver
United States
Zumbrota
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
What about a box, with several littler boxes inside, and inside those are still littler boxes. And inside those! you can see where I'm going with this... Finally you get to a very small bit of paper that directs you to where you can download the next chapter. You rip up the paper once installed.

And it's called Mansions of Madness: VOOM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Legacy play testing soblue

It’s an expensive hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa! Which otherworldly critters escaped?

Or did the madness make you chew on your tablet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be thrilled if they just release a pack of alternate insanity cards with more fun and less boring/game-ending effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
Whoa! Which otherworldly critters escaped?

Or did the madness make you chew on your tablet?

It was like the game was talking to me, so I had to kill it 🤪

You’re right, I bet they escaped! I better go and check for them (then take some pills 💊 )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Burke

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmb
The best argument I can see in favor of the legacy format would be that it could emphasize the horror element. Mental stress could be more drawn out and have longer consequences. Old wounds could act up. Decisions made earlier could come back to haunt you. In general, legacy games tend to imbue the decisions in any given game with a greater sense of weight because they're going to stick around, and you can't take them back.

I suspect anyone who's played Pandemic Legacy can attest to the strong motivation to avoid letting cities get worse and worse - whereas, in a one-off game, it's much easier to let cities go as a strategic decision, especially if you're near victory already.

Betrayal Legacy is a very different sort of thing, obviously, but it's really the only other example that comes to mind of anyone trying to apply the legacy format to horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Wow. I'm not a legacy person, but if this happens, I will be all...over...it.

Me too - there's a lot of potential there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjami Pitarch
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think legacy in a game with digital support is a thing. The proper way to do legacy there, is to make the app keep the "special information" and diferent path you took so... essentially a campaign. No need to perma-scar your game if you have a digital support to keep all that info. A campaign on the other side would excite me after just getting the LoTR game. A several missions campaign for MoM, shut up and take my money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.