Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that Stonemaier has a position of ensuring their games are colorblind-friendly. I also understand that Viticulture pre-dates this.

I love the theme and concept so much that I've bought it anyway. There are two player colors that give me a little grief, but I'm just going to spray paint one set in an entirely different color (perhaps metallic silver).

The one issue I'm having is with the card colors on the "Mama" cards. The icons are so small I can't tell the difference between some of the starting cards. Does anyone have a breakdown by "Mama name" as to what cards each provides?

Thanks,

Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say Viticulture completely predates our awareness of colorblind issues. The very first copy I received from my manufacturer had red meeples instead of white, and even I found them difficult to differentiate between the orange and purple in low lighting. So I changed the color (even though I play red in every game).

We've also adjusted the blue and purple in the card icons over time to make them more colorblind friendly. If you're having trouble with a specific mama card, feel free to post a photo here or on the Viticulture Facebook group and I'm happy to clarify it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laura: G, P, P
Deann: G, P, B
Alaena: G, Y, P
Margaret: G, G, Y
Emily: G, Y, Y
Falon: P, B, B
Christine: G, B, B
Nici: G, G, P
Jess: Y, P, P
Nicole: G, B
Ariel: Y, P
Danyel: Y, Y, B
Margot: Y, P, B
Casey: P, P, B
Rebecca: Y, Y, P
Naja: Y, B, B
Alyssa: G, Y, B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much! Gonna print and laminate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite what Jamey says, I have to say I struggle with the Visitor cards when they reference orders and/or winter visitors. This is true even for Rhine Visitors, so I don't think they are fully fixed even now.

Having said that, it is the one game that is less than colourblind friendly that I will insist on playing. I think it is that good.

I mostly play 2p with my wife, and we play with the cards open. I double check with kiss every time a visitor card comes up.

I really should attack the cards with a Sharpie (or better - get kiss to do it), but cannot bring myself to deface them.

Mamas and Pappas are not an issue as even with the official rules, they are open information anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Mortensen
Ireland
Navan
Meath
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to the files section on the Viticulture:EE BoardGameGeek page there are a number of files that can help. I've had to print them off too as I'm colourblind, and whilst I can generally differentiate the meeples, the cards give me a lot of grief! The files that have helped me a lot I've linked below.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143090/viticulture-es...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/148837/viticulture-es...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/169521/viticulture-ca...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
Mamas and Pappas are not an issue as even with the official rules, they are open information anyway.

I just hate having to repeatedly ask "what color is this?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
Oh, we're using our made-up names? Um. I'm Spider-Man then.
badge
Look, when you can do the things that I can, but you don't... and then the bad things happen... they happen because of you.
mbmbmb
I'm colorblind (well, technically I have what is called deuteranomaly which makes it hard for me to differentiate reds and greens (so even purple is wonky...the number of times I've bought a white shirt and, plot twist, it was faint pink....)) and struggle with the mama cards too (and even more on some of the visitor cards that tell me to draw a specific type of card).

I adore this game so much and my boyfriend is always pretty good about telling me what I need to draw when I'm confused

That being said, one of my greatest wishes would be if I could buy alternate meeple sets in different colors. Boyfriend always plays red and there's no red. which has a totally valid reasoning. But he has to play orange.

I always play white with viticulture because, no matter what color other players are using, I can always see mine easily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Frank
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Re: Colorblind issuesb
I love the game.
But have trouble with distinguishing blue and purple.
Sometimes yellow and green (about identifying which cards to pick):
In the wake up chart, mamas and papas, instructions on visitor cards.
I have print outs of the files someone else mentioned.
But also...ask help a lot to identify colors....or get corrected often.
It’s a drag....wish colors were more easily identified.
But it won’t stop me from playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.