Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Street Master so I'm familiar with the system and that game was easy to get into. Mainly because you just went and beat on bad guys. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this one, have played 3 times since getting it Thursday all solo games.

I think the main reason is you often have no idea what you should be doing, at least I don't. I'm running around trying to get to a crime scene or get a suspect but with so many cards in plays in the criminal and case area I'm like is this the right move?

At first i felt like I also had very limited actions in a turn. I had forgotten my basic cop card had an encounter action on it. Also encounters were unclear in general on starting them. For instance I would move with my cop car, then play a card and move again. Didn't realize at first I could then encounter with my basic card action.

I've also messed up some rules. For example it wasn't until I asked one of the designers last night that I was placing markers on the board for assets. I honestly can't find anywhere in the rules it says to do that but since they had a location on their cards I assumed I needed to. I also assume now I can encounter them as well?

I'm not trying to trash the game, I'm just trying to learn it and get to the strategy involved. Right now after 3 games I'm just running around dong random stuff with no idea if I'm making progress to winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
Have you come for a checkup?
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't gotten to play BC yet, but grasping the action economy in Street Masters was as big part of the learning curve. You would often feel stretched thin against the different things coming at you, and learning to prioritize was something that just took repeated plays to get a handle on. Forgetting about your cop's basic action will make all of that much harder than it needs to be, so remember your cards in play!

A big part of SM was getting your tactics out ASAP and learning how important exhaust effects were, since they gave you extra things to do on your turn. From what I've seen of BC so far, the same advice still applies. Additionally, I've read from playtesters that ditching vehicles (especially the starting cruiser) is much more useful than it first appears.

Encounters are this game's version of attacks. It might help to think of encounters in Street Masters terms since you're familiar with that game. Generally speaking, you can encounter anything that has resistances (the gun, cop hat, and walkie-talkie symbols) along the top left side of the card. Resistances act like permanent defense tokens that tell you how many successes you'll need to roll to make progress towards busting the crime (doing damage to the enemy and defeating it). To encounter (attack) something, you need to be nearby (adjacent to it) unless a card tells you otherwise. As you encounter things, you'll place progress (damage) on their cards. If the progress ever meets or exceeds the bust threshold (done more damage >= their health), you bust (defeat) that card and get some benefit for doing so, usually written on the card itself.

Let me know if this is helpful or not. Even though I haven't played yet, I feel like I have a good handle on the rules and possibly some very basic strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dspezzano wrote:
I have Street Master so I'm familiar with the system and that game was easy to get into. Mainly because you just went and beat on bad guys. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this one, have played 3 times since getting it Thursday all solo games.

I think the main reason is you often have no idea what you should be doing, at least I don't. I'm running around trying to get to a crime scene or get a suspect but with so many cards in plays in the criminal and case area I'm like is this the right move?

It's totally understandable to be a little overwhelmed—there are a LOT of cards in the game. I always recommend reading the decks before playing, just to understand how they function, especially the cases. That's the best way to know your ultimate goal.

dspezzano wrote:
At first i felt like I also had very limited actions in a turn. I had forgotten my basic cop card had an encounter action on it. Also encounters were unclear in general on starting them. For instance I would move with my cop car, then play a card and move again. Didn't realize at first I could then encounter with my basic card action.

Yeah, combo-ing your cards is crucial to get enough done in a single turn. Timing your movements and encounters is really what the game is all about. Exploit the cop cruiser's ditch ability often, as they are easy to get back when you go back to the station.

dspezzano wrote:
I've also messed up some rules. For example it wasn't until I asked one of the designers last night that I was placing markers on the board for assets. I honestly can't find anywhere in the rules it says to do that but since they had a location on their cards I assumed I needed to. I also assume now I can encounter them as well?

I notice that it isn't entirely explicit in the rules that you should place asset tokens when an asset card has a location on it. This should be more explicit, and it's something we'll update in the rulebook for reprint plus PDF. Thanks for bring it to our attention!

dspezzano wrote:
I'm not trying to trash the game, I'm just trying to learn it and get to the strategy involved. Right now after 3 games I'm just running around dong random stuff with no idea if I'm making progress to winning.

Honestly, it can feel that way sometimes even when you do know what you need to do because there's just so much to juggle depending on the deck combinations. I'd advise not adding in wrecks or the Delta Keys board until you're very familiar with the flow of things. I'd also suggest adding an ally or two in just to give you more flexibility with what you can do on your turn.

Thanks for the report, officer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really appreciate the feedback, just trying to get a good grasp on the game before unleashing it on the family. I never thought of adding an ally, I will do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick B
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found there is a bit of an adjustment from Street Masters. I agree that at first, I've been feeling like I don't know what to do and everything piled up. My first two games I was floundering and lost pretty handily. I'm still putting it together but it is starting to take shape.

My current plan is adapting a bit based on which cards I draw. If I pull too many Crimes, then I need to work those down otherwise they are going to shift too much influence onto the Suspect. When the crimes are down, I focus on the win objective of the Case. Overall, I'm treating the Case as my primary focus since that's the win condition.

Yes, Assets get placed on the board or maybe on a Crime. Yes, there is a way to interact with them.

I'm slowly putting the pieces together. My main issue is getting around the board fast enough! I'm going to start ditching vehicles and commandeering more often to try and increase my mobility. It does seem like proximity plays a part in what I'm going to go after though.

I like it but it wasn't the automatic 'click' that I was expecting from Street Masters beyond some core mechanics. This is good because otherwise it would just be a re-skin of that game. I like that it takes the framework and adds some more considerations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Karpowitz
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat of enjoying it but still wrapping my head around it, and I'm wondering if some of this is the challenge of soloing it. (Not sure if you did or not) I did just one cop last time, and since the criminal and case gets a turn every time I got a turn, things exploded quickly. Still, that's exactly the puzzle I thought was fun: "There are clues over there, but I need some hunches to put on the clues, and so I need to do some other encounters first," etc. etc.

The board is big, so managing movement and location is key, I think. But I'm excited to get it to the table again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Schroeder
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, managing movement is crucial. Here's one tip to get you started:

Don't Ditch your cruiser to get to a location on the board edge. Drive there, then use the Ditch to return to BCPD in the centre of the board for free. Then you can simply get a new cruiser, rinse, repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thawne wrote:
Yep, managing movement is crucial. Here's one tip to get you started:

Don't Ditch your cruiser to get to a location on the board edge. Drive there, then use the Ditch to return to BCPD in the centre of the board for free. Then you can simply get a new cruiser, rinse, repeat.

I think these are some of the things I am forgetting. So anytime at BCPD you can get a cruiser and anytime on the street you can commandeer a vehicle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
Have you come for a checkup?
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only commandeer once per turn, but otherwise yes you can commandeer a new vehicle anytime you move into a street on foot. The BCPD cruiser and Sprinter D from Keys to the Kingdom can be aquired from the police station. They're both special vehicles and should be set aside from the normal vehicle deck (similar to the boats). The instructions for how to aquire them are written on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draxon Bailo
Australia
Uranquinty
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strayknife wrote:
....and it's something we'll update in the rulebook for reprint plus PDF. Thanks for bring it to our attention!

Is is possable for us to also get a 'errata/faq' page wuth updated added ruels an such that is easy to print out at home and shove the the front of our printed copy of the rule book at home?

I dont want to sift through a pdf/have to fork out more cash for a second copy to 'fix' my game.

I feel a little disappointed, haven't recevec my ks copy yet and there is already issues popping up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sadler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Draxonfly wrote:
strayknife wrote:
....and it's something we'll update in the rulebook for reprint plus PDF. Thanks for bring it to our attention!

Is is possable for us to also get a 'errata/faq' page wuth updated added ruels an such that is easy to print out at home and shove the the front of our printed copy of the rule book at home?

I dont want to sift through a pdf/have to fork out more cash for a second copy to 'fix' my game.

I feel a little disappointed, haven't recevec my ks copy yet and there is already issues popping up.

We will certainly publish an FAQ/errata for the game as needed to address any confusion with the rules. I'm sure you'll see us plenty on here engaging with players and watching for any issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Schroeder
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draxonfly wrote:
strayknife wrote:

I don't think there are any issues. Just clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Draxonfly wrote:

As the person who started this thread i don't feel disappointed in the least. I played a crap ton of Street Masters and well that game has easier win conditions to grasp. This game takes a few plays to see a pattern.

I decided to stick with the same criminal and case for my next few plays. It is an easy one, whose name is escaping me because I'm at work but where they are boosting cars.

Aside from the asset thing the rules are well laid out. I'm personally a big proponent of game play examples in the rule book and hope they consider adding them for future products but that doesn't make the rules bad.

You should be excited about getting this game, there is a ton of content and the mechanics are solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Street Masters, so I'm coming into this one fresh. The biggest issue I'm having with the rulebook is the lack of examples. I really wish they would have provided examples for each of the key parts of the game. It's a small thing that makes learning WAY easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played 6 times now and my most recent game was a lot of fun. Just recalling some rules that are easily forgotten, adding in an ally (thanks Brady for that tip) and watching a live play yesterday just gave me a better feel for the game.

Now the big challenge introducing the family to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.