BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: True Crime fans of BGG!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Velazquez
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
My wife is a huge crime junkie and that is all she constantly devours in podcasts and shows. What games would satisfy that itch of solving cases, digging into murders and all that jazz? We have Chronicles of Crime which we love. Any other ones you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
They call me Troll; Gnawer of the Moon, Giant of Gale-blasts, Curse of the Rain-Hall, Companion of the Sibyl, Nightroaming Hellion, Swallower of the Loaf of Heaven. What is a Troll but that?
mbmbmbmbmb

Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures

The first four cases cover the actual events of the infamous 'Ripper. If she's a true crime junkie, I doubt these will put her off and she may do well against Holmes in the cases!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give this one a try.... Pulp Detective
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilson
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Anomaly, or inevitable unlikelihood?
badge
Snoopy : )
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I think we might be married to the same woman. We need some paprika for dinner tonight, if you don’t mind swinging by the store Does she listen to My Favorite Murder too?! While we don’t play games every day, I would still consider my wife a gamer, so YMMV here, but I’ve had great luck with The Bloody Inn and Mr. Jack. In fact, we played quite a few games of The Bloody Inn on our honeymoon in Cabo, I’m sure you remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Frantz
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7he Architect wrote:
So, I think we might be married to the same woman. We need some paprika for dinner tonight, if you don’t mind swinging by the store Does she listen to My Favorite Murder too?! While we don’t play games every day, I would still consider my wife a gamer, so YMMV here, but I’ve had great luck with The Bloody Inn and Mr. Jack. In fact, we played quite a few games of The Bloody Inn on our honeymoon in Cabo, I’m sure you remember.

I wouldn't call The Bloody Inn true crime. Nor would I call it enjoyable. It's just an odd, euro-ish card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilson
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Anomaly, or inevitable unlikelihood?
badge
Snoopy : )
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis, that was a lame response. The OP didn’t ask for true crime games, but wanted to know related games that fans of true crime might enjoy. While The Bloody Inn may not be your cup of tea, the true crime fans I’ve met really liked it and it’s a game that I think is deeper than a few plays let on. Another recommendation I forgot about that my wife loves is Letters from Whitechapel. If you’re into deduction and the thrill of the hunt, it’s great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Frantz
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7he Architect wrote:
Curtis, that was a lame response. The OP didn’t ask for true crime games, but wanted to know related games that fans of true crime might enjoy. While The Bloody Inn may not be your cup of tea, the true crime fans I’ve met really liked it and it’s a game that I think is deeper than a few plays let on. Another recommendation I forgot about that my wife loves is Letters from Whitechapel. If you’re into deduction and the thrill of the hunt, it’s great fun.

But that's my point. Letters from Whitechapel/Whitehall Mystery/Mr. Jack/Detective/Sherlock all involve deduction and the thrill of the hunt. It sounds like that's what the OP is after. The Bloody Inn is nothing like that. There's no deduction. There's no 'hunt'. It's about money and VPs.

It's definitely not my cup of tea, but I also want the OP to know that it's a little bit different than these other recommendations. That's all! No hard feelings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
221B Baker Street: The Master Detective Game is massively underated on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our family gumshoes really went for Deadline last winter. We did four cases between Thanksgiving and New Year. Waiting for another family get together so we can solve the next case! Well, try to anyway. They get tougher as you go, ya know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.