Subject: Map Observations and Comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping we can collect any/all map related posts here in one thread, which I'm avoiding calling errata because at least the items I've noted are not so much errors as just little things I wanted to comment on

1) The Corps boundaries are red, not yellow as stated in the rulebook

2) The blue boundaries around some provinces are not mentioned in the rulebook that I can see, but they seem to correspond to the US bases and I suspect this was done because it will be fairly easy to cover up the crossed rifles symbol for US bases with counters?

3) The rulebook (3.0, first paragraph) mentions that four provinces meet at a point,but doesn't specify which ones and I can't find such a point. In rule 9.0 it lists four provinces (Darlac, Tuy Hoa, Phu Bon, and Khanh Hoa) as having a common boundary. Still no point, but I suspect these are the ones and this 3rd edition map was adjusted to avoid the point?

4) What do the small numbered circles in the Year track represent? I suspect something like victory conditions for that year?

All may be clearer as I get my first game going, but this is what I observed on setting up that first game. I suspect one of the hard things to do in developing/publishing a 3rd edition of a game you are very familiar with is to put yourself in the shoes of a person approaching it for the first time and trying to teach himself with just what's in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
THANX FOR YOUR POST MIKE

1) The Corps boundaries are red, not yellow as stated in the rulebook
YUP

2) The blue boundaries around some provinces are not mentioned in the rulebook that I can see, but they seem to correspond to the US bases and I suspect this was done because it will be fairly easy to cover up the crossed rifles symbol for US bases with counters?
YUP

3) The rulebook (3.0, first paragraph) mentions that four provinces meet at a point,but doesn't specify which ones and I can't find such a point. In rule 9.0 it lists four provinces (Darlac, Tuy Hoa, Phu Bon, and Khanh Hoa) as having a common boundary. Still no point, but I suspect these are the ones and this 3rd edition map was adjusted to avoid the point?
YUP

4) What do the small numbered circles in the Year track represent? I suspect something like victory conditions for that year?
AS YOU SUSPECTED. THEY REFER TO VICTORY CONDITIONS: WHITE IS END GAME GOAL, RED IS COMMUNIST AUTO WIN, BLUE IS ALLIED AUTO WIN.

All may be clearer as I get my first game going, but this is what I observed on setting up that first game. I suspect one of the hard things to do in developing/publishing a 3rd edition of a game you are very familiar with is to put yourself in the shoes of a person approaching it for the first time and trying to teach himself with just what's in the box.

THANKS FOR TAKING HER FOR A SPIN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Reese Jr
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I'm just glad to see a Vietnam game that gets the province names right for my old stomping grounds from 1st Division days...i.e. Binh Long and Binh Duong provinces.

Looking forward to playing the game and see if I can defeat Gen Giap which I was unable to do in real life. (Let's call it a draw )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.