Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need clarification, so here goes.

Let's say my opponent is the Empire. They move and initiate combat.

After we move any leaders in, we draw tactics cards for both players.

The Empire attack, and get hits on my ships. If I have some block cards, I can play them. Now it's my turn. I roll and get some sabre results, and I draw tactics cards. If any of those cards are block cards, can I apply the blocks to my ships that were hit during the Empire resolving there roll. In essence, possibly saving one of my ships?

Or can blocks only work during the current dice roll resolution.

Hope I'm clear enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Block cards can only be played immediately after hits are assigned. The attacker has a (slight) advantage in this regard in the base game.

Edit: this response was originally incorrect and has been quoted below in its incorrect form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter G
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Block cards can only be played before hits are assigned. The attacker has a (slight) advantage in this regard in the base game.

Yep.

This is changed with the expansion to be more 'realistic' (giving the advantage to the defender)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamerpete67 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Block cards can only be played before hits are assigned. The attacker has a (slight) advantage in this regard in the base game.

Yep.

This is changed in the expansion to be more 'realistic' (giving the advantage to the defender)

Expansion combat rules are MUCH better. The advanced tactics are great, and they changed it so that you can remove damage with sabers and destroyed ships from both sides are removed after both sides resolve their rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:

OKay, just so I'm completely clear, if the empire had 3 hits from the dice, I, as the defender, could play my 1 block card. It reduces the hits from 3 to 2. Then the attacker applies the 2 hits as they see fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
gamerpete67 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

Yep.

This is changed in the expansion to be more 'realistic' (giving the advantage to the defender)

Expansion combat rules are MUCH better. The advanced tactics are great, and they changed it so that you can remove damage with sabers and destroyed ships from both sides are removed after both sides resolve their rolls.

I have ordered the expansion also, and understand from many posts the combat is better. But I would like to get the base game a few tries before rolling out the expansion. Thanks to all the quick replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
emcher wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

OKay, just so I'm completely clear, if the empire had 3 hits from the dice, I, as the defender, could play my 1 block card. It reduces the hits from 3 to 2. Then the attacker applies the 2 hits as they see fit.
No, the attacker has to apply the hits first. Then the defender plays blocks to protect whichever unit he wants.

This creates some tough choices for the attacker - whether to apply extra damage to a unit to make sure he destroys it in case the defender has blocks, or try to destroy multiple units with just enough damage, at the risk that a single block card could save whichever one the defender chooses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobb Feta wrote:
emcher wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

No, the attacker has to apply the hits first. Then the defender plays blocks to protect whichever unit he wants.

This creates some tough choices for the attacker - whether to apply extra damage to a unit to make sure he destroys it in case the defender has blocks, or try to destroy multiple units with just enough damage, at the risk that a single block card could save whichever one the defender chooses.

Right. It's been a long time since I played base game combat. I deleted my erroneous "correct" response above. THIS is the correct answer.

Edit: I also corrected my first post in the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.