Subject: How Complicated is this Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there. Just going through my collection and culling it a bit. Realising that there are some games I thought I would get to but just won't so no need for them to take up shelf space. This is one I am undecided on.

I have an unpunched copy that I am pretty sure I could get a good price for but at the same time the game subject does interest me. I am a solitaire gamer (though do play many games on Vassal - not this one) so I would be playing it more for historical interest than anything else. However with limited time (and I am a relative newcomer to hex and counter gaming) I am just wondering if it will take a bit too much time to learn and therefore it will sit on a shelf gathering dust. If that is the case then I may as well let it go to someone who will play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the subject matter interests you, i would read the rules and watch some instructional videos before selling your copy. in war game terms, i would call this a medium complexity game but it definitely has a learning curve. i should note that i'm also primarily a solo board gamer and play this one exclusively solo. it has achieved "untouchable" status in my collection.

however, it's definitely a semi-hot item right now in the grognard world of gaming and there's a reason for it: it's a damn good game by a damn good designer. but a game's value is relative and subjective so if its value to you is a means to purchase games you'll actually play, sell it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Palestine
Earth
msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mbmbmb
I am biased, please bear with me.

You will surely get a good price for that (provided we're speaking 2nd edition copy) but you would also deprive yourself of chance of playing one of greatest games Mark Simonitch has ever designed (and mind you, he designed many great games).

Normandy'44 is very accessible, relatively simple (particularly compared to other games of his, take a look at Ardennes '44 or Holland '44: Operation Market-Garden if you are looking for something more complex) game that plays fast and is relatively balanced (unless one of sides enjoys long streaks of either weather, particularly clear weather is disrupting for German).

I've played it many times (define many these days, three kids, 8 hour job, one hour commute each way, not a student anymore when I could have played them all day long), like fifteen, maybe, and each time I learn something new and, indeed, each time it plays differently.

TL,DR: don't sell it, play it. As a sidenote, it plays great over Vassal and you will always find a willing opponent (he is writing this very post at this very moment, hint, hint).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Mooney
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Begin a Lifetime of Pleasure! Begin with TACTICS II
badge
Boris Karloff as General Nikolas Pherides in ISLE OF THE DEAD (1945)
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
Hi there. Just going through my collection and culling it a bit. Realising that there are some games I thought I would get to but just won't so no need for them to take up shelf space. This is one I am undecided on.

I have an unpunched copy that I am pretty sure I could get a good price for but at the same time the game subject does interest me. I am a solitaire gamer (though do play many games on Vassal - not this one) so I would be playing it more for historical interest than anything else. However with limited time (and I am a relative newcomer to hex and counter gaming) I am just wondering if it will take a bit too much time to learn and therefore it will sit on a shelf gathering dust. If that is the case then I may as well let it go to someone who will play it.

Also a solo player, battle of Normandy is one of my favorite subjects and this is my favorite game on the subject. Mid-complexity, some unfamiliar concepts (i.e. ZOC bonds and handling reserves) compared to other games, but maybe not a problem if you haven't played a lot of other games. Nothing too hard to grasp though. First time I played I found it helpful to set up and walk through the first turn example in the back of the rulebook.

Game is on my table now. A keeper, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three very strong opinions to keep the game so perhaps I will. Every time I open the box and look at the map I think to myself that I should make the time to learn it. Planning to ride my motorcycle around Normandy in Sep so the subject of the game means I should really keep it. Plus retirement is only about 10 years away so will have plenty of time to play then

One day perhaps on Vassal with you Lukas. I have seen how many games you sign up for on the Vassal threads so I think that I wouldn't make a very good opponent for someone as experienced as yourself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Palestine
Earth
msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
One day perhaps on Vassal with you Lukas. I have seen how many games you sign up for on the Vassal threads so I think that I wouldn't make a very good opponent for someone as experienced as yourself :D

Contrary to adage that is erroneously attributed to Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili, in my opinion quantity does not have a quality all its own. Red herring, false flag, smoke in the eyes, see, to make others think whoa, that's a true wargamer.

Well, I am not :)

Truth is real life activates are of priority these days but I am trying to play as much as possible without interfering with so called "real life". And of course, drop me a GM when you're ready and we will fight... on the beaches. And, hopefully, further in interior too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've already heard some strong positive opinions, and I will second them, but I will add a wee bit more to show how much I value the game. I was in a wargaming funk several months ago, finding that new games would hit my solo table and languish there. I was having trouble getting new rules into my noggin. I realized that the right thing to do was get a game onto the table that I could just play without having to think too hard. That game was, of course, Normandy '44. My AAR came in the form of two entries in a monthly Geeklist that I highly endorse:
Item for Geeklist "Wargames on your table - August 2018"
Item for Geeklist "Wargames on your table - September 2018"
Take your time, go through the extended examples of play, and have fun with it. It's a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Frank
Wales
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
“"To Aetius, now consul for the third time: the groans of the Britons ... The barbarians drive us to the sea; the sea throws us back on the barbarians: thus two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned".” ―Gildas
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy '44 is the last game I would ever part with.
This is the one hex and counter game you should not pass over.
The Somewhere '## games are superb operational level games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top 3 game for me. And a single map game. A whole lot of bang for your buck for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.