Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Long
United States
New London
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Good morning!

One of the read-aheads for Jagged Earth mentions the new keyword, Isolate.

Quote:
1. Invaders skip Explore actions in target land.
2. Invaders consider the land to be adjacent to nothing… unless you want. (This affects only Invaders, not, e.g, Blight cascade.)

I assume Isolate is always a Fast power; it's not going to do much good in the Slow phase after the Invaders have already expanded.

By default, Explorers populate if the target land is coastal, or in if the target land is adjacent to a land with one or more towns or cities (assuming nothing happening to the contrary.)

Regarding #1, I assume this means that if you Isolate a land, no explorers will go there from adjacent lands.

That leaves me a couple of questions:

1a. If you Isolate a land that already has a town or city, and that land comes up as the Explore card, does that land still generate an Explorer?

My first thought was yes since they are being spawned by the town/city and Isolation would not prevent that, but now I'm leaning toward no. If the land is Isolated, there's no interest in exploring, even locally.

1b. If you Isolate a land that already has a town or city,
and an adjacent non-coastal land comes up as the Explore card,
and there are no other towns/cities adjacent to the land that would Explore, does that land get an Explorer?

My thought is no, since if you Isolate the land that is the only source for Explorers, the Explorers would not be able to leave the Isolated land to explore the adjacent land.

Thoughts?

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1a: Invaders do not take the Explore action there, no matter what the land contains or where it is located.

1b: It does not. Assuming the Isolated land was previously the only source of Explorers, Isolating it would break adjacency (assuming you wanted to) and prevent the Explore.

Edit: Note, for 1a, this doesn't prevent e.g. France's escalation from happening in a land because it only cares about terrain type, not if there was successful a Explore action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1a. No - you skip Explore in the Isolated land (#1 in the list)

1b. No - The Isolated land is adjacent to nothing for Invader purposes(#2 in the list), so there is nowhere for any explorers to go.

Note that an Isolated land can also helps limit England's build phase, as that isolated land cannot provide towns/cities adjacent to other land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
New London
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks.

I was having a little trouble wrapping my head around all the possible interpretations for #1, and missed the obvious corollary from #2:

Target land is not adjacent to anything, so, duh, it cannot spawn explorers into neighboring lands, since it does not have any neighboring lands for as long as it is Isolated...

(unless the Isolating spirit wants it to be adjacent to one of it's neighbors for long enough for some action to happen.)

I assume the Spirit can temporarily turn Isolation on and off during the turn Isolation is in effect, to allow other Spirits to push/pull things in/out of the Isolated land, or to target the Isolated land with other powers?

I have been puttering with Finder of Paths Unseen, and I think I have been woefully under using it's power to Isolate lands.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimmund wrote:

I assume the Spirit can temporarily turn Isolation on and off during the turn Isolation is in effect, to allow other Spirits to push/pull things in/out of the Isolated land, or to target the Isolated land with other powers?

Actually #2 says it’s adjacent to nothing only for the Invaders. Spirits don’t have to choose to “turn isolation on or off”: Isolation doesn’t count for Spirits, powers, Dahan, blight cascade... Isolation only affects the Invaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
New London
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Tootzo wrote:
Actually #2 says it’s adjacent to nothing only for the Invaders. Spirits don’t have to choose to “turn isolation on or off”: Isolation doesn’t count for Spirits, powers, Dahan, blight cascade... Isolation only affects the Invaders.

Huh.

So if a spirit power allowed a player to push or gather Invaders, that could still happen.

If an Event card would move the invaders, does Isolation permit the spirit to block the Invader movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Gaebler
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Grimmund wrote:
If an Event card would move the invaders, does Isolation permit the spirit to block the Invader movement?

Yes. And in fact, spirits can choose to turn adjacencies on/off for powers, too. For example, Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares could choose to push "destroyed" towns out of an isolated land, or close the adjacencies to keep all the towns there so that another power can hit them all again.

Also, you can choose separately for each adjacent land, so Dissolve the Bonds of Kinship (which says to push explorers to as many lands as possible) could choose to make only the ocean adjacent, and push all the explorers straight into the ocean to feed Ocean's Hungry Grasp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
New London
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Lorkenpeist wrote:
Also, you can choose separately for each adjacent land, so Dissolve the Bonds of Kinship (which says to push explorers to as many lands as possible) could choose to make only the ocean adjacent, and push all the explorers straight into the ocean to feed Ocean's Hungry Grasp.

Or, if someone had a power that did (for example) 1 damage to each Invader in the target land, you could Isolate the target land, play Dissolve the Bonds of Kinship, then use Isolation to keep all the scouts in the Isolated land and set them up for the 1 damage to each Invader power...

Huh. OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.