1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BSG 700X - Comatose rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
I play a bunch of Battlestar Galactica PBF! Currently modding 700A and 700W; playing in 704.
badge
Celebrating 700 Play-By-Forum Battlestar games with a 4-part series using every expansion.
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 700X - Comatose
5 Player Base Game to Kobol

Welcome to BSG 700X. This is the second part of a four-part "Mega Voyage" style series (700W-Z), running in parallel with BSG 700A-D, to celebrate 700 main-line Battlestar Galactica Play-By-Forum games.

700W/A: 5 Player Base Game to Kobol
700X/B: 5 Player Pegasus to New Caprica
700Y/C: 5 Player Pegasus + Exodus to Ionian Nebula
700Z/D: 5 Player Pegasus+Exodus+Daybreak to Earth

All this was made possible by ColtsFan76 and he has my undying thanks for that. I will be using the Open Office spreadsheet and GIMP files created by Orphius and completely revamped by jasperhawk and Mawkee. Awesome work, guys. I have also based this OP on IriDiuM84's, so thanks IriDiuM! In addition, I will be using the BSG unified rulebook by jbiatek.

Standard Things to remember/know:

d10-1All players must have their own copies of the game and all expansions being used, if any. This is an FFG requirement, and since we're all REALLY grateful they let us do this, we're only too happy to comply with the one condition they set out for us.

d10-2Follow PBF conventions. Bold your actions! I will not process anything until bolded. Use italics for in-character talk, and use images for flavor and fun. Find lots of them here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/1834905#item1834905.

d10-3Use the image banners so we know who you are. If you're on a mobile device and don't want to look up your bannerID, please put your character name at the top of your post.

Courtesy of marlus, here's an amazing script that makes it super-easy to add those banners to your posts:
Quote:

1) Click on "Edit" on the top right of your screen to Edit your quick bar.

2) Chose an empty spot and fill label with "My Banner" and add the following text to the URL :

Quote:
javascript: (function() {var b = '[ImageID=xxxxxx medium]'; var t = document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')[0]; t.value = b+'\r\n'+t.value;})();

3) Replace "xxxxxx" with the ImageId you want to use as your banner.

4) When you post, click on Reply/Quick Reply and then click on your Quick Bar Link. Presto!

It even works on mobiles, so no excuses not to use a banner!

d10-4Don't communicate with other players outside the thread. Any private communication should be between me and particular players. If you have a question that you don’t want to ask publicly, ask me, that's what I'm here for!

d10-5Subscribe to the thread! I expect that you will be able to check in at least twice a day, preferably at regular intervals. If over 24 hours have elapsed and you haven't responded when it's your turn to act, I'll bump the thread. This is not a warning, just a gentle reminder that it's your turn to act, in case you missed the subscription or something. 12 hours afer the bump, I'll poke you via GM to make sure you're still there - at 48 hours, I'll start giving out warnings. Repeated warnings will see me seeking a replacement player. Everyone hates waiting for someone every turn, don't be That Guy!

Of course, sometimes that annoying little thing called Real Life interferes with your ability to play, and that's totally OK. All I ask if you are having a really hectic time is that you try to find 2 minutes to either post in the thread or GM me saying "Hey, sorry but I'm really busy right now, won't be able to check the game today/tomorrow/this week/whatever". That way we're not all left hanging wondering what's happened to you. If you need more than a couple of days away from the game, I might try to find a temporary player to replace you until you return. Same goes for slow play. If you're travelling or something and you'll only be able to check in sporadically for a few days, just let us know.

d10-6Use Conditional Orders (COs) and the game will run smoothly. The game is much more enjoyable when it’s moving along and not getting stalled for days. Don't worry - if I have questions about your COs I will ask you privately, I'm not interested in trying to play "gotcha" by executing a CO that clearly didn't account for something.

d10-7Please send all your GMs to me with the subject line "BSG 700A (Character Name) - [Mail Subject]". EG, "BSG 700A (Starbuck) - Turn 3.2 CO for OPG use". I am modding more than one game at the moment, and if I get a mail with the subject "Skill check", that's going to cause me a bit of extra work to find out that little bit of extra info I need. This one really helps a lot, I appreciate you guys taking that extra couple of moments to properly title your GMs.

d10-8I like to make my board images after the current player has received their cards, so everyone knows how many cards are out there. So if you have a variable draw, please send in your COs for those as soon as you can.

d10-9Respect secrecy rules. Some often overlooked secrecy violations include:

* Providing a public CO (bolding when it is not your turn to act)
* Saying "medium" if you've played one card
* Talking about scouted cards (top or buried) beyond "good" or "bad"
* Identifying which cards/colours you played into a skillcheck
* Volunteering the contents of your hand if it's not directly relevant to the current discussion

d10-1d10-0 Don't quote anything from more than two pages back in the thread, with the exception of the Board Image. Say what you think happened in your own words.

d10-1d10-1 We will be following the Official FAQ and Unofficial FAQ (http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Battlestar_Galactica_FAQ), but we will be ignoring the ruling regarding the Admiral having to disclose whether they chose the top destination, and applying this principle to all Top X card choices. When a player chooses from the top cards of a deck it is secret which cards were chosen.

d10-1d10-2 We will be using the BSG Unified Rulebook by jbiatek. This link has NOT YET been configured with the options for this game, as the rules change depending on whether a Cylon Leader is chosen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
I play a bunch of Battlestar Galactica PBF! Currently modding 700A and 700W; playing in 704.
badge
Celebrating 700 Play-By-Forum Battlestar games with a 4-part series using every expansion.
mbmbmbmbmb

I will assume that each player has the following standing COs and assumptions about their play. Please send me a CO when you'd like to act otherwise.

Automatic Raiders
* If order does not matter when activating Raiders (i.e. there is no Civilian tiebreaker for a sector or there are no threatened ships) automatically activate Raiders in sector order.

Auto-Passing
* Pass on Declare Emergency.
* Pass on Strategic Planning for attacks against Raiders (including via Maximum Firepower), on a Launch Scout if there's more than one Raptor remaining in the reserves, and all attacks by Cylon ships.
* Pass on Calculations. I will not be pausing every time there is an opportunity to use one, so you'll need to have your COs readily updated. Generally speaking, there's usually a token put around before any important rolls looking for Strategic Planning and including a prompt for COs for Calculations.
* Pass on Evasive Maneuvers for unmanned vipers that aren't the last one protecting a civilian ship, unless the viper would be destroyed.
* Pass on anything that would be detrimental to the humans (e.g. Evasive Maneuvers to re-roll a shot that missed)

Character Abilities
I have various Standing COs in place for various character abilities - these will be dispatched upon character selection when appropriate.

No Relevant Plays
* I may pretend you sent me a Pass CO if you cannot play any relevant cards or abilities into a check, in order to get keep the game moving. This will not divulge hand information since I will also pass those who sent me a pass CO at the same time. Please note that I will not always do this, to keep a level of uncertainty.

Tanking
* After declaring a Tank, pass on interrupts and playing cards unless someone else plays anything into a check at the interrupt stage, or before you in the check stage.

Tie-breaking COs
* If there are multiple conflicting CO interrupts, and the players have not worked out whose to play, I will play the lowest-valued interrupt. If it's still tied, I will play the interrupt for the player whose turn is next - the Current Player will go last in this case.

House Rules - No vote on these
1) Helena Cain's Miracle ability will be a true Blind Jump. Before the ability takes effect, the top Destination card will be buried. In game Z, if Karl "Helo" Agathon's Pilot alternate ("Karl") is a human player when Cain uses this ability, the next card will be buried in addition.

2) If you wish to suggest colours to draw for a scouted crisis/mission, you may suggest one (and only one) colour to draw, once per scouted card. (This is only immediately relevant for Game Z and Captain's Cabin, however is included just in case for other situations, notably if State of Emergency is involved, or someone gets bonus actions and there's a Scout-XO-CP combo.)

3) We will be ignoring the FAQ's ruling regarding the Admiral having to disclose if they chose the top Destination card on a jump, and will extend this to all "Top X Cards" effects for all players - When a player chooses from the top cards of a deck, or rearranges the top cards of a deck, it is secret which cards were chosen and what order they were and are placed in.

4) For games Y-Z: We will not be using Personal Goals.

5) On Sympathisers. For games X-Y, If a Sympathiser is to be used, it will be the Pegasus Sympathetic Cylon. For game Z, the Mutineer will be used.

6) The Quorum hand size is limited to 10 cards.

7) For game W: A revealing Cylon player hands off their loyalty automatically if appropriate, as per the rules in the Pegasus expansion.

8) For game Y: the "The Trial / Boxing the Line" step of the Crossroads phase has been modified to simply execute characters rather than eliminating players. In addition, if a Cylon (hidden or revealed) is boxed, they are forced to pick a new character, and Morale is increased by 1. The full text of the step is detailed in the quote box.
Alternate Elimination Rules wrote:

THE TRIAL / BOXING THE LINE

1. Remove all Crossroads cards and the Trauma used on them from the game. Remove all Ally cards and tokens, the Trauma attached to them, and Trauma attached to locations from the game.
2. Each player reveals their Trauma hand. Human players discard all of their "Benevolent" tokens, Cylon players discard all of their "Antagonistic" tokens.
3. Each player discards two Trauma tokens.
4. If all players have 0 Trauma, nobody is executed.
5. If any player has Trauma remaining, the player with the most Trauma is executed - see the tiebreakers below if necessary.
6. Remove all remaining Trauma from the game.

* If any human players are tied for most Trauma, the President chooses one of those players to be executed.

* If any Cylon players are tied for most Trauma, all of those players are boxed.

* If there is a tie between humans and Cylons for most trauma, follow both rules: all tied Cylon players are boxed, then the President chooses (if necessary) one tied human to execute.

* If a Cylon player or hidden Cylon would be executed via Boxing, they follow the normal procedure for a Cylon execution, but must also choose a new character before being moved to the Resurrection Ship. They do not draw a Super Crisis card, and Morale increases by 1.

9) The Grand Voyage - This has three main components...

Lasting Damage: If Pegasus or Colonial One are destroyed, they'll be unavailable for the rest of the series. New Caprica does not count as destroying Colonial One.
Memoriam: If a human character is executed or a Cylon character is boxed during the course of any game, they are unavailable for the rest of the series - this includes their Daybreak alternates.
Elimination: If a character's player loses a game, that character is unavailable for the rest of the series - this does not include their Daybreak alternates. Turn order and loyalties still get shuffled each game as per normal.
Continuity: The Crisis discard pile is not shuffled into the Crisis deck between games, nor are Super Crises. Super Crises in hand, and Thirty-Three if it's in play, are shuffled back into the Crisis Deck at game end. In game W, Caprica is houseruled to always work like the version from the expansions. (Play one, bury one; skip the Cylon activations)

Game Options and House Rule votes
The following game options and house rules will be put to a vote:

Starting with Game X, I will put game option and house rule votes up at the beginning of the game.

Exodus - Cylon Fleet, Final Five: The usage of these two game options will be put to a vote in both Games Y and Z.

Optional House Rule 1a - True Random Damage: Battlestar Damage will be assigned randomly from a pool containing both Pegasus and Galactica damage tokens. Players will not select which ship actually takes the hit when a "damage Galactica" or "attack Galactica" effect resolves - note that this does not include Main Batteries' effect, which will always damage the Pegasus.

Optional House Rule 1b - Galactica-centric Damage: The Pegasus can only be damaged by Main Batteries and Cylon ships. "Damage Galactica" card effects will always damage Galactica. This rule suggested by qplung for game 682, which was unused but so interesting to me I've added it to this game as well.

Optional House Rule 2 - Ban Cain: Despite House Rule 1, above; I've found Cain to be insanely powerful as a human. In game X, I will give the option to eliminate her. This does mean she'll be gone forever.

Please send in ideas or requests for house rules if you wish to see them included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin R
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a vision dream last night that you introduced a mystery character for this game, who turned out to be a Cylon Leader Number 7 named Daniel Thrace, using a picture of Jonathan Frakes for some reason. Can't remember what his abilities were supposed to be, but I should have caught on when the game wasn't in the variant forum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hmm.. I've been thinking about the Galactica-centric house rule and I think I rather like it. There's not many things it affects but the ones it does are typically cylon-initiated. For example the Treachery 3 and Damage reveal, which can happen on other turns but are still the result of a cylon's choice. It does feel a bit cheap for a human to circumvent that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin R
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be willing to give it a go as well - I'm always happy to use random damage, so it's not much of a leap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
mb
The legacy rules sorta make the need for Pegasus randomization less intense.

I still prefer true random damage as it equalizes the risk of Pegasus locations compared to Galctica, while Galactica centric means you still are generally hitting Pegasus whenever you can and thus sitting there is still often a 1/4 chance to go to sickbay on damage. I think this is ultimately the bigger fix of Random Damage over the fact Pegasus is just +4 HP to Galactica as it solves the "Pegasus is only useful in a fight but being there during a fight is insane" issue.

I would rate my preferences as True Random>Base rules>Galactica Centric. Galactica Centric, at least in this variant, just means we have a reduced chance of having a legacy mechanic matter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
We could combine both mechanics right? That is true-random other than specific circumstances which can only damage Galactica. In Pegasus that would only be the 3 Treachery, Damage Reveal, 1 of the SC choices (since Cylon Intruders is gone) and uhh.. probably 1 or 2 NC crises?

Edit: None are common and may not even have an effect on the game honestly. The 3 Treachery is the most common in theory but it won't come up much unless there's a human Ellen and revealed cylon/s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
mb
Despite saying a lot on the issue I actually don't care that much when I really think about it, so honestly we could do whatever and it would still be fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mobile Mod

Still waiting on the other two checking in, but will hopefully have things rolling soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, I thought it was implied that we'd all be moving on since that was the point of the series. They may have thought the same and are just waiting for the start to happen, so you may have to PM them about it to be sure.

Alternatively, just starting up the polls and/or character selection will reveal all. Although that may be a touch of curious-impatience talking so don't mind me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Soucie
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was reading but didn't comment. I'm here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent H
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Okay, everyone change places!

Penguinton: 1d100 = (42) = 42
Nietreche: 1d100 = (48) = 48
dezzmont: 1d100 = (85) = 85
JKent83: 1d100 = (82) = 82
YodaOldBoy: 1d100 = (32) = 32

Turn order: dezzmont > JKent83 > Nietreche > Penguinton > YodaOldBoy.

Just getting that out the way, cause first we have to vote! But, it'll allow people to do COs.

Poll
1. Ban Cain?
Yes
No
2. Which damage option?
Original (Pegasus rules)
Random Damage
Galactica-centric
      5 answers
Poll created by hypertheorist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1451914. hypertheorist
  • 1d100 =
  • (42) =
  • Penguinton:
  • Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:10 pm
  • [+]
  • 1451915. hypertheorist
  • 1d100 =
  • (48) =
  • Nietreche:
  • Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:10 pm
  • [+]
  • 1451916. hypertheorist
  • 1d100 =
  • (85) =
  • dezzmont:
  • Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:11 pm
  • [+]
  • 1451917. hypertheorist
  • 1d100 =
  • (82) =
  • JKent83:
  • [+]
  • 1451918. hypertheorist
  • 1d100 =
  • (32) =
  • YodaOldBoy:
Thierry Soucie
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll expand on my votes:

I don't mind Cain to New Caprica, but I do mind her to any other destination.

As for damage, since this has a Legacy aspect, I would rather leave the decision in the hands of the players to lose Pegasus than to random luck. In that regarda, though, if Pegasus ends a game with damage, I would have her start the next one with damage to avoid sponging all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Interestingly, I chose random damage partially because of the legacy aspect. I might be the only one but I actually think I'd hesitate to destroy Pegasus if given the opportunity, since it would be gone for future games. It's still relatively the decision of players whether Pegasus is destroyed or not since repairs are the primarily way to avoid that, but at least this way we can't just decide not to repair it and avoid damage if we want to keep it. The threat is always there!

As for Cain, I think I just dislike her in general since it adds too much of a RNG element to things. Especially in NC since her blind jump often just skips the sleeper phase and goes right to NC. And doing so means there's no time to identify cylon/s so you have to be wary of a cylon admiral which often leads to executions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
In any case it would appear all the votes are in so dezzmont can commence character selection, unless there's some special announcement to stop that?

Also, I call lies on the whole "everyone changes places" thing. Jkent is still second in the order!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
mb
Anyone got strong feelings on what I should take? I WOULD take Boomer but uhhh... yeah.

My go to options would probably be Roslin, Baltar, or Adama with an eyepatch because it is my headcanon that he was still a sleeper Boomer style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hey you only have yourself to blame there. It was you that chose to win the game and denied yourself playing Boomer!

In more serious news, Evil Adama does amuse me but I feel I'm slightly biased since I do hold out a small hope to be able to pick Ellen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Soucie
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind you taking Boomer, since that wouldn't force me to take a pilot if no one else did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Sadly Boomer is slightly deaded due to the legacy effect, hence the dilemma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin R
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No strong feelings, I just know I don't want to be high in line for the Admiralty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Results are in! Random Damage wins 3-2-0, Cain is eliminated 3-2.

dezzmont, you're up first. You can choose any character except Cain, Tigh, Zarek or Boomer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent H
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, just to clarify. Baltar is still alive, but not a Cylon any more. And I am not required to select him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Mobile Mod

Yes.

In flavour terms, this could be a different Gaius, like Sharon and Athena. Oh yeah, and Cylon Leaders are available now since Pegasus.

Edit: image and line break

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
mb
I assume it could also be like a regret thing.

Also, if we are using CLs, are we using motives or agendas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.