Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are at the beginning of turn 5. The Germans conquered the hills and only a reduced squad remains of the initial Russian forces, in melee with a unit of German panzer grenadiers. I'm playing the Russian and during turn 4 I just entered three Russian squads of the six available, keeping the others for the next turn. The situation is reported in the picture below.

The Russian units supposed to enter at turn 5 are reported on the left. Remember that there are still 3 infantry units of the six indicated that enter on the right. The objective is to control the majority of the two-level hill hexes near the est edge. Any suggestion on how to proceed? I think that I will assault the German AT gun with some of the infantry units entering on the West edge. Once the gun is neutralized, I will move both tanks directly on the two-level hills near the est edge. This is risky but, as far as I know, it is the only way of avoiding proficiency check for their subsequent fire. I will support the tanks by moving infantry behind them so that if German squads try an assault, they will receive the fire from those units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Halley
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Russians are out of good options, so a Hail Mary Plan B is all you have. Here is what my Plan B would look like.

Keep the squad in C7 in Melee. Hopefully it will eliminate the German squad before it dies. But if it beats the odds and survives, it can go after the gun.

Trying to take out the Gun with the squad in E8 is a long shot at best. The German MG in C6 and the German squad in D5 make it almost impossible for the Russian squad to survive crossing the open ground to get to the gun.

The Russian strength is in numbers and mass, so use that. I would gather all of the remaining Russians squads not in melee into G1 and G3, G4, and G5 and then charge the hills with the tanks leading the way along the east edge of the map. The gun can only take out one tank max in that charge and hopefully the surviving tank will provide enough FP to enable the infantry to take the hill. And who knows, the gun may miss and you will have both tanks.

Will it work. Maybe. Dice are funny that way.

Good luck and take care,
Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deanhalley wrote:
Trying to take out the Gun with the squad in E8 is a long shot at best. The German MG in C6 and the German squad in D5 make it almost impossible for the Russian squad to survive crossing the open ground to get to the gun.

Well, this was not the plan. I have six infantry squads entering on the west edge. They can climb the hill along the line C9->C8. The approach is covered and if I'm not mistaken, only the gun can fire at them before they melee it. Probably my opponent will put it in OP fire, but in any case, it's a 6 proficiency (8-1 per OP -1 per change orientation) followed by a 6 fire. There's around 60% of probability the squad arrives in melee unarmed. This is the easiest part of the plan in fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Halley
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That is a good Plan B too. I hope it worked out.

Take care

Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The strategy worked. The German AT-gun failed to inflict any casualty and was eliminated in melee. The same fate was shared by the German infantry squad nearby. The Russian tanks positioned directly on the hill, after surviving an infantry assault, did their job and suppressed two infantry squads, one was eliminated by the morale roll and the other was forced to retreat. At the end of turn 7, the situation was as in the picture below. The German player resigned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.