H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarazu wrote:
Almost had this happen to me in a 3 player game. What happens if there are no legal spots for a colony to be placed when it comes your first action when you play as Poseidon?

How is this possible? In a 3 player game you have 5 colony tiles. Even if Titan, Enceladus and Miranda are all selected, that leaves 2 tiles to place on which gives 6 colony spots. Even if Poseidon goes third and both earlier players place 2 colonies that leaves 2 spots to place on when it comes to Poseidon.

3 players would be the closest you get to this possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that is possible. Even with Enceladus, Titan and Miranda in play yet not activated there could only be a maximum of 4 Colonies placed ahead of Poseidon's first Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarazu wrote:
Almost had this happen to me in a 3 player game. What happens if there are no legal spots for a colony to be placed when it comes your first action when you play as Poseidon?

That can't happen. In a three player game there are five colony tiles in play. Each tile can have three colonies on it. That is room for 15 colonies and the most your opponents can place is four before you take your first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You forget the colonies can be inacessible from start. Eceleadus, Titan, or Miranda.

Additionally, 2 preludes allow you to play cards before the game begins. So it's theoretically possible but should almost never happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja score: 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, heres how it could happen. You are Player 3, Poseidon.

There are 5 Colonies, of which 3 are Eceladus, Miranda, and Titan, so not legal for colony placements.

Player 1 has Ecology Experts Prelude and plays Minority Refuge to place 1 colony on Tile 1 during setup.
On Player 1's first turn, he places 1 colony on Tile 2, and then plays Research Colony on Tile 1.

Player 2 plays Eccentric sponsor during setup and plays e.g. Mining Colony on tile 1.
During Player 2's first turn he places a normal colony on tile 2 and then plays Space Port Colony for a second one on tile 2.

6 colonies have now been placed on the 2 available colony tiles. Player 1 and 2 have one colony on one tile, and two colonies on the other.

Player 3 now has no legal place to place his or her colony. The colony can't be placed. Sucks to be you.

I would immedeately resign and have my teammates acknowledge they just did a dick move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies to the OP (who deleted his post). It can happen after all. Not sure what I would do. Probably let the Poseidon player remove one of the three restricted tiles and draw a replacement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoogard wrote:

I would immedeately resign and have my teammates acknowledge they just did a dick move.

To be able to pull that off with out cheating I would be so damned impressed I wouldn't concede. The odds would be astronomical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Hoogard wrote:

To be able to pull that off with out cheating I would be so damned impressed I wouldn't concede. The odds would be astronomical.

The reason I would resign is that it also requires collusion by both players. No one in ther right mind uses ecoloy experts to get a colony out, so the only reason this would happen is if both players decide to fuck up player 3 as much as they can.

I don't mind players ganging up on another player, but then it needs to be because something in the game, e.g. he's in the lead and they then decide to do everything to stop him. But doing this to someone when clearly no one is in the lead is just mean, and you don't need those people in your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoogard wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Hoogard wrote:

The reason I would resign is that it also requires collusion by both players. No one in ther right mind uses ecoloy experts to get a colony out, so the only reason this would happen is if both players decide to fuck up player 3 as much as they can.

I don't mind players ganging up on another player, but then it needs to be because something in the game, e.g. he's in the lead and they then decide to do everything to stop him. But doing this to someone when clearly no one is in the lead is just mean, and you don't need those people in your life.

I would consider collusion as cheating so I stand by my statement. If they pulled that off independently I would be impressed. And if the only good prelude cards you have were ecology experts I would SO TOTALLY use it to get colonies... especially if I didn't have anything better. Or I wanted to try to control the colonies. Honestly.. if I have enough money to get three colonies out before turn 2 I would do it just because it was funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess the "because it's funny" is the only valid reason

You're 50% likely to be player 1, which would enable you to get 2 colonies out before anyone else. Who needs to get 3 out?

And ecology experts is only 1 plant production. Literally anything else would be preferable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel pepiku
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
At least you would have +6 Mc production right from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kramer
South Korea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karelpepiku wrote:
At least you would have +6 Mc production right from the beginning.

exactly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoogard wrote:
Player 3 now has no legal place to place his or her colony. The colony can't be placed. Sucks to be you.

Yeah, I'm firmly in the camp of "this is so incredibly unlikely to happen, that if it did happen, it would be hilarious, so heck, I'd just play it out for the story if nothing else."

Like, for this to actually happen in actual reality, the following things need to happen:

1) It needs to be exactly a 3 player game. With the 3rd player being Poseidon.

2) There need to be all three of the "do not turn this on till something lets them turn on" colonies in play. And then also nothing needs to be in play that turns them on (like a corp that accepts floaties or animals).

3) Players 1 and 2 need to have in their hands, all at the same time, Ecology Experts, Minority Refuge, Eccentric Sponsor, Mining Colony, Spaceport Colony.

4) Players 1 and 2 also need to see that this is all possible, decide to do so, and then do so.

This is so wildly, inconceivably unlikely that it happening? Hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've changed my mind. Especially considering the 6MC income. I would definitely play it

EDIT: minority refuge isn't strictly necessary, any card that places a colony would do. I chose it just because it was cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who plays Poseidon and has this happen to them should be jumping for joy. Your opponents started the game with a bunch of nonsensical, shoot yourself in the foot moves in order to give you +6MC production for the first generation all to deny you a colony. They’ll have a tough time keeping up with you after this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.