Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure you only get to apply one bonus perk (assuming this was the first character you retired). However, you may start the character at any level up to 3 and you will get the perks associated with each level that they have obtained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sauron 3 wrote:
One of my characters retired and I'm to choose, which hero to pick next. My prosperity level is "3" and I have one retired character. How many perks may I add to the new companion - 2+1, 3+1 or just 1?

Thank you!

Check page 42 of the rulebook. It explains it all step by step for you. You get to start a character at any level from 1-3. If you start at level 3, you get 2 perks plus 1 perk for each retired character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sauron 3 wrote:
One of my characters retired and I'm to choose, which hero to pick next. My prosperity level is "3" and I have one retired character. How many perks may I add to the new companion - 2+1, 3+1 or just 1?

Thank you!

1 for retirement.

And then 1 for each level above 1 that you start your character, just like if it had leveled up naturally. You can start at up to your prosperity level, so character level 1, 2 or 3.

So, anywhere from 1 to 3 perks.

And, you get starting gold equal to:
15*(L+1)

And, and, if you choose to start your character under your prosperity level, you can level them up at any point when you're in gloomhaven, up to that prosperity level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Savin
msg tools
mb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sauron 3 wrote:
Thank you!
Glad we could help, but please - don't erase your question when it is answered. Now this thread makes no sense! Just let it stay, it may be helpful later to somebody google searching for the same question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B
msg tools
squegeeboo wrote:
And, and, if you choose to start your character under your prosperity level, you can level them up at any point when you're in gloomhaven, up to that prosperity level.

Is that totally correct?

The rule book states:

When the city reaches a new level of prosperity, players gain two benefits:
1) New items become available for purchase, according to the chart on p.43.
2) New characters may begin at any level equal to or less than the prosperity level of the town. Likewise, any character with a level lower than the prosperity level may immediately advance their level to match. In either case, follow the level-up steps on p. 44, adjusting the character’s experience value to the minimum value required for the new level.

My reading of that: If you create a new character, you can immediately level them up to the current prosperity level. (eg. Prosperity is 3. New character can be created at level 1, 2 or 3.)

For existing characters, when the prosperity reaches a new level, you can advance your character to that level. The key wording in the rules is "When the city reaches a new level of prosperity ... any character with a lower level may immediately advance their level to match." Based on that wording, I'd assume if you don't do it at the immediate time of the prosperity level bump, you miss the opportunity.

So, if you create a new character and don't immediately level them to the prosperity level upon creation, you can't raise their level to match the prosperity until the prosperity reaches a new level. (eg. Prosperity is 3. New character is created at level 2. Have to wait until prosperity reaches 4 before that character can increase based on prosperity alone.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CowLion wrote:
squegeeboo wrote:

Is that totally correct?

The rule book states:

2) New characters may begin at any level equal to or less than the prosperity level of the town. Likewise, any character with a level lower than the prosperity level may immediately advance their level to match. In either case, follow the level-up steps on p. 44, adjusting the character’s experience value to the minimum value required for the new level.

My reading of that: If you create a new character, you can immediately level them up to the current prosperity level. (eg. Prosperity is 3. New character can be created at level 1, 2 or 3.)

For existing characters, when the prosperity reaches a new level, you can advance your character to that level. The key wording in the rules is "When the city reaches a new level of prosperity ... any character with a lower level may immediately advance their level to match." Based on that wording, I'd assume if you don't do it at the immediate time of the prosperity level bump, you miss the opportunity.

So, if you create a new character and don't immediately level them to the prosperity level upon creation, you can't raise their level to match the prosperity until the prosperity reaches a new level. (eg. Prosperity is 3. New character is created at level 2. Have to wait until prosperity reaches 4 before that character can increase based on prosperity alone.)

Yes, it's correct.

Read #2 as a reminder about prosperity level vs character level, not a strict rule that only applies when prosperity increases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Savin
msg tools
mb
wmshub wrote:
Sauron 3 wrote:
Thank you!
Glad we could help, but please - don't erase your question when it is answered. Now this thread makes no sense! Just let it stay, it may be helpful later to somebody google searching for the same question.

Ok. No problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
CowLion wrote:
squegeeboo wrote:

Is that totally correct?

The rule book states:

Yes, it's correct.

Read #2 as a reminder about prosperity level vs character level, not a strict rule that only applies when prosperity increases.

Also, applying the "When..." to the bullets takes it out of context. The "When..." applies to the timing of the gaining of benefits described by the bullets, not the timing of the benefits described bullets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fekete

Nevada
msg tools
I can not find any reference to the rule, that your new character starts with additional perks after the players retired characters, except the FAQ. Can somebody point me to it, or is it a FAQ only rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwampa wrote:
I can not find any reference to the rule, that your new character starts with additional perks after the players retired characters, except the FAQ. Can somebody point me to it, or is it a FAQ only rule?

Rulebook. p.48, 3rd paragraph down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fekete

Nevada
msg tools
Thank you! I must be blind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.