Subject: Random this game is brilliant post rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Easter weekend is over and I am full of love for S&S again. Played 2 scenarios back to back and had an amazing time. Tight balance and loads of tactical decisions required, most underrated dungeon crawler in my books.

More excited by season 2 than ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Gaetz
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll second this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's underrated simply because it didn't do the usual "ZOMG!! A metric ton of plastic minis, BACK THIS NOW" shtick and instead opted for better gameplay instead. People seem to slowly catch up though so I'm optimistic.

It's just a shame that way lesser games raised way more money on KS...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's underrated because its fiddly, which is a barrier to entry for some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas Elder wrote:
I think it's underrated because its fiddly, which is a barrier to entry for some.

Eh. I feel most dungeon crawlers are like that though, so it shouldn't have much of an effect on dungeon crawler fans playing the game. Do you feel it is excessively fiddly compared to... Descent, for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does take time to set up (appx. 20-30 min.)but for me I enjoy immensely the set up, wondering how things will unfold and what's going to happen at this story event and that one, trying to guess who's going to show up and where, building the site. And then the game ………… WOW! I've played a ton of dungeon crawlers and I have never had more fun than with Sword & Sorcery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
It's underrated because BGG wouldn't know a good dugeoncrawl if it fell in one.
This is the most 'pure' DC that I have ever played. It captures everything that a DC needs to do near perfectly.

Gloomhaven isn't a dungeoncrawler, it's an optimisation exercise. Not saying it's a bad game, but if you compare it to what a dungeon crawler experience should be it fails. It's like calling Ghostbusters a great horror film.
Heroquest, Zombicide etc are all ok but too simple. I guess some people enjoy the simplicity and they are fun to have a beer with. They don't have the depth needed to replicate an RPG experience without the role playing bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the ultimate dungeon crawl game for me. I have played D&D for over 30 years and S&S gives me that feel in a boardgame without the need for a DM. There really is no other dungeon crawler that I have played that is as good.

It is underrated on BGG because the population here generally prefers Euro games. I have not played Gloomhaven yet, so I cannot assess how good that game is compared to S&S. Gloomhaven seemed to be quite popular on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also love this game. By far the best DC I've ever come across. Meaningful choices, great customisation options, wonderful enemy AI, top-notch components, combat with the right mix of luck and predictability - wish I had backed this game initially as the wait for the last expansions is excruciating Can't wait for Ancient Chronicles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
It's underrated simply because it didn't do the usual "ZOMG!! A metric ton of plastic minis, BACK THIS NOW" shtick and instead opted for better gameplay instead. People seem to slowly catch up though so I'm optimistic.

Yes

The fact it doesn't just include a metric tonne of minis is one of the biggest positives about the game. Reusing moulds with different colours and AI sheets and Hordes versus singles is very clever game design. I'd vastly prefer to have less minis and moulds like S&S but much more depth written on cards and designed in game systems.

Brilliant system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stuntman wrote:
I have not played Gloomhaven yet, so I cannot assess how good that game is compared to S&S. Gloomhaven seemed to be quite popular on BGG.

I own both games and love them both. They cover all the DC needs I could possibly have between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:
Stuntman wrote:
I have not played Gloomhaven yet, so I cannot assess how good that game is compared to S&S. Gloomhaven seemed to be quite popular on BGG.

I own both games and love them both. They cover all the DC needs I could possibly have between them.

They are both combat heavy dungeon crawlers. After a few games, I find myself wanting to play Magic Realm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gabe elliott
United States
washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, this thread convinced me to late pledge the new Sword and Sorcery kickstarter just now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventurers,
Thanks you all for these words!
Reading your phrases give me even more will to improve any aspect of the game.
Be prepared, because Ancient Chronicles will give you a more depth campaign, much more outcomes, 90 paragraphs of stories across the 4 cities... and all of this just with the core set! I’m working on the final stages of it, before passing to the act II, with a free roaming structure and some other surprises

Really thank you for your support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Thomas Elder wrote:

Eh. I feel most dungeon crawlers are like that though, so it shouldn't have much of an effect on dungeon crawler fans playing the game. Do you feel it is excessively fiddly compared to... Descent, for example?

I do, yes. Descent is streamlined compared to S&S. The sheer number of tracking tokens alone, in just the S&S base game, is daunting.

I like S&S, I just wish it followed in Galaxy Defender's footsteps where the base game is nice and straightforward, but you can add expansions that make it more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
It's underrated because BGG wouldn't know a good dugeoncrawl if it fell in one.
This is the most 'pure' DC that I have ever played. It captures everything that a DC needs to do near perfectly.

Gloomhaven isn't a dungeoncrawler, it's an optimisation exercise. Not saying it's a bad game, but if you compare it to what a dungeon crawler experience should be it fails. It's like calling Ghostbusters a great horror film.
Heroquest, Zombicide etc are all ok but too simple. I guess some people enjoy the simplicity and they are fun to have a beer with. They don't have the depth needed to replicate an RPG experience without the role playing bit.

Gloomhaven fans will recommend Gloomhaven to people who ask what restaurant to eat at. They are devoted to say the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group started the first quest of Act II not long ago. Absolutely brilliant. We were legitimately surprised by some of what happens and super stoked to keep going.

By far everyone's favourite dungeon crawler, and to be honest our favourite board game in general!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gabe elliott
United States
washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question for those that have played through the whole campaign. Our group is close to wrapping up our two years of playing gloomhaven. We have each played three characters and dozens of scenarios. I found that after playing a character for some time, that I got to the point where I no longer enjoyed playing it. Many scenarios functioned on auto-pilot where I knew what cards I would play every time. Starting with a new character would bring renewed excitement to the game as I had to learn how to master the new set of cards.

My question, has anyone played through the whole campaign and restarted with a new hero and if so, was it still as fun playing the same scenarios with the new hero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also gone through the whole Gloomhaven campaign and I also grew tired of characters and was glad when they retired and I could move on to something else. I don't think that will be happening with S&S. Of course I am hoping to play through this again and again! I think it's different though. For one thing, I am rolling dice and it might be argued that your hit deck in Gloomhaven serves a similar function, it's really not the case once you develop the character a bit. Characters in S&S just don't level up the same way so there's that. And finally, there's the enemy AI in S&S. Trying to manipulate that with a new cast sounds very promising as well.

I am in the process of going through the S&S campaign with the same people I played Gloomhaven with. I have two other groups I plan to play S&S with one day and I plan to eventually play S&S solitaire too (something that struck me as being rather boring in Gloomhaven). We enjoyed our run through Gloomhaven (it took us about a year) but I have no interest in ever playing that game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

It's just a shame that way lesser games raised way more money on KS...

The mechanics - how dice are being used, the overall rules - are great indeed. I’ve been disappointed with the narrative though. Casual story you quickly pass on tbh.

An overall great game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
Adventurers,
Thanks you all for these words!
Reading your phrases give me even more will to improve any aspect of the game.
Be prepared, because Ancient Chronicles will give you a more depth campaign, much more outcomes, 90 paragraphs of stories across the 4 cities... and all of this just with the core set! I’m working on the final stages of it, before passing to the act II, with a free roaming structure and some other surprises

Really thank you for your support!

Great to hear Simone and glad you read this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimsonsun God
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
Sword and Sorcery is the best modern Dungeon Crawler for actually dungeon exploration, gathering treasure and tactically defeat monsters who's AI is simply a step ahead of other games in the genre. It feels like a 80's/90's old school dungeon crawl but its vastly more streamlined and smart, even if some find it fiddley (I agree its not especially fiddly when looking a dungeon crawlers as they all tend to be the same way). I like/own Gloomhaven, its smart and very intellegently designed but its not a good crawlers, I've got Middara which is fantastic but requires more investment in time and story than Sword and Sorcery, I've got Super Dungeon Explore which I love as its fast and simple, I also plan to introduce my daughter to gaming via this one when shes old enough as its very friendly. I own Dungeon Saga, which I found a complete fail, and own classics like Heroquest and Warhammer Quest which hold fantastic childhood memories that other games rarely are able to compete with dispite being far less enjoyable now than they were. Sword and Sorcery matches up the best however and is in my top three games along with KDM and mage knight.

Hugely excited for Ancient Chronicles but I'm still waiting for the Dragon Expansion I pre-ordered in the UK a month ago to arrive so I'm not without content coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gelliott wrote:
Question for those that have played through the whole campaign. Our group is close to wrapping up our two years of playing gloomhaven. We have each played three characters and dozens of scenarios. I found that after playing a character for some time, that I got to the point where I no longer enjoyed playing it. Many scenarios functioned on auto-pilot where I knew what cards I would play every time. Starting with a new character would bring renewed excitement to the game as I had to learn how to master the new set of cards.

My question, has anyone played through the whole campaign and restarted with a new hero and if so, was it still as fun playing the same scenarios with the new hero?

Not exactly answering your question, but I do like playing many different characters. I am only a little past half way through the game with some friends. We play many different games, so it is slow going through the campaign. I've taken upon myself to play solo through this game. I've replayed the first few quests with two different parties because I just like seeing how the different classes play. I'm waiting for two more hero packs to be available and will probably solo a different party with those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
crimsonsun wrote:
I've got Middara which is fantastic but requires more investment in time and story than Sword and Sorcery

I'm interested to hear more about Middara... is it as strategic as S&S?

S&S and Gloomhaven are the holy grail of DCs for me. I need quite a thinky game or I get bored so Descent or anything lighter than these 2 don't work.

Where does Middara sit on the scale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gabe elliott
United States
washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some discussion happening on another thread on Middara in relation to S&S as well as other dungeon crawlers.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31871018#31871018
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.