Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lefton
United States
Florence
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pgocosmic wrote:
Yes here is the just released (today) FUTURE PASTIMES COLLECTOR’S EDITION BIG BOX BY BROKEN TOKEN see it here: https://www.cosmicencounter.com/

Broken Token designer Derek Liam will be at Escape Velocity2019 for the first annual Cosmic Encounter Galactic Championship Tournament. And Broken token is doing a special discount for Fans who are playing in the tournament...

Looks sweet, even better than Broken Token's current organizer for sale. Only question is whether the new organizer can be purchased separately from it included with everything and how much this will cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks way bigger than it needs to be? Everything fits in the current box minus some of the aliens. Why does the box need to double in size?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because you need room for more stuff in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Carpenter
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Class of 2012
badge
"There are only two things I love in this world: everybody, and television" - Kenneth Parcell, 30 Rock
mbmbmbmbmb
I waffled for a while last year on whether to wait for this or to get the current organizer and I'm glad I didn't wait for this. Way too big. I also don't love the idea of a completely wooden, separate box. Glad for those who like this, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have two of the original BT inserts. Still haven't put together the second one, but the plan was to have two CE boxes with plenty of room for expansions. The only problem would have been the sleeved alien cards.

This new crate addresses most of the problems I have with the current BT insert:::. The ship trays are very fiddly and prone to explosions; the alien sheets are stored in a stack, which means you have to fish out the entire stack to find what you're looking for. Also, if you sleeve your cards, you are out of room if you add anything.

On the other hand, this crate will probably weigh a lot, and it has no good handholds. Crates should have handholds on the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a prototype, most of their boxes do have cutouts in the bumps that align the lid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the most important thing is can it handled sleeved sheets and cards? I don't have one of the expansions (take a wild guess which one), and if there are more expansions along the way that is move sleeved cards and sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, when I asked on Facebook about the estimated price the answer came back at $170. Woof. I don't think I paid $170 for the base game plus six expansions.

Don't get me wrong, I love the box, but to quote D'Annunzio in Caddyshack, "I ain't payin' no fifty cents for no Coke!" Half that? Yeah, I could be persuaded, but $170 box is a non-starter for me.

Besides, as George points out, the current insert is just fine, even if it's maxed out at six expansions (they all fit if you're careful and creative and don't mind a little lid lift). It fits all the playing cards sleeved, and I feel no need to sleeve the aliens since they see so little handling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have a hard time spending $170 just to keep the least interesting 20% of the content in the same box as the best 80%. I get it that having all your stuff in a single box is nice, and other players will have a different perspective from mine; but for me it would feel like investing another $170 in Cosmic Storm.

People don't often see the benefits that constraints bring. Time and money limitations are part of the reason the original Star Wars film is a charming classic (look what happened when George had all the time, money, and freedom in the world to make his second trilogy). Design constraints drive ingenuity.

Box constraints encouraged me to archive a small amount of content that was adding nothing important to the play experience, which statistically improved every subsequent game by raising the average quality of the random components that could show up.

Once a box is full, every new expansion set is an opportunity to shuffle in new blood and retire old junk that nobody really wants to play anyway. An opportunity to upgrade the general quality of the play experience. We're long past the point where Cosmic needs more aliens. It benefits more from better aliens that can take the place of the boring ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Olotka
msg tools
We worked with BT to consider room for future expansions and homebrews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Olotka
msg tools

The Big Box is designed for the high end Cosmic Encounter elite only! Not recommended for the casual player!

We responded to endless requests for a Big Box over the years. Note that this is officially the Future Pastimes Collector's Edition Big Box. It just happens to be compatible with all your CE stuff. Fantasy Flight was not involved in the design, it is strictly a Future Pastimes / Broken Token partnership.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Olotka
msg tools
It will handle the sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Whittlemedo wrote:

The Big Box is designed for the high end Cosmic Encounter elite only! Not recommended for the casual player player that wants to bring their game to game night!

FTFY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Olotka
msg tools
cromatoast wrote:
Whittlemedo wrote:

The Big Box is designed for the high end Cosmic Encounter elite only! Not recommended for the casual player player that wants to bring their game to game night!

FTFY

Yep. You sure did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's $170 like the Facebook rumor says than chalk me up as someone who wanted a big box but will never own this.

I think it's an unrealistic expectation to say that the people who requested a big box over the years are such megafans that the majority of them would pay $170 for this. Yes, you are a certain tier of fan to own everything for Cosmic - and a completely separate, much smaller one to spend $10 more than the MSRP of all FFG Cosmic content just to carry it in a box that would be difficult to lug to game night.

All I want from a big box is a Cosmic-branded box big enough to carry it all, maybe with specific insert areas designed for the game, maybe with a comprehensive rulebook of the expansion content. I don't care if it's wooden. Scythe and Smash Up and plenty of other games have pulled it off for $40 or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.