Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Expansions vs New Games
I'm looking at spending some Tax refund on some games and I'm looking one way but I'm curious what others find themselves doing more.
If you have money to buy more items for your board game collection, which do you find yourself doing more?
Buying New Games
Buying Expansions for Games You Have
      242 answers
Poll created by MrOsterman

I find for me, that I'm buying more New Games because I hardly ever get Expansions out. I play with so few "Board Gamers" that usually the base game is complex enough for them that when I start saying "and then THIS rule will..." or worse "hang on... that rule's different when we play with the expansion."

I find more bang for the buck having a wider variety of games than just more expansions. I'm curious what else is out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

*looks at purchases so far for this month*

Defnitely buying new (to me) games. whistle

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am with you there. Why pay 60% price of the base game to have 25% of content added in? There are so much more games that bring new things to the table. That's why after my crazy buying up every Dominion expansion phase ended I swear off expansions and just focus on getting new game experience in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends a little. There are definitely games that don't benefit from expansions as much as others and expansions that try to cash grab more than others. In general though, I'd rather have an old game we're almost guaranteed to already like to get improved and refreshed. A new game too often comes with the risk of just being bad or even being fun but a one time play kinda thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
I am with you there. Why pay 60% price of the base game to have 25% of content added in?
There's also a factor of how much variety you like. If you're the type of person who's content to always play the same game, then incrementally making that game better may benefit you more. But if you like variety, you're probably better off getting a new game as the different experience will add more value to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions (usually) have the advantage of not taking up shelf space. At this point when I get a new game, I know it means I am going to have to get rid of an old game to make room, but if a new expansion fits in the base game box nothing has to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters, a treasure token from Nemo's War, and a First Martians condition token. Also maybe a Fallout "L" token.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't look to spend money on board games. I buy board games with money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally (not univerally) I have found that expansions makes games worse. So I avoid using money on expansions.

Also, I have found that I like games. So I use money on games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
Why pay 60% price of the base game to have 25% of content added in? There are so much more games that bring new things to the table.

At this point, I have a very good handle on the types of games I tend to like, and I already own the vast majority of them. As a result, I'm more inclined to buy expansions to enhance the games I already own & enjoy, than I am to buy one of the few remaining unowned games that I'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle McCracken
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I definitely do both.

I like new games for the new experiences. I also don't have as much time to play as I would like. Expansions are nice because they still bring in a smaller new experience without require learning a new rule set.

If you spend a lot of time gaming, I would lean towards new games. If yo find your time is short I would lean towards expansions.

The individual quality factor of new games or expansions is a different issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's easy to get caught up in the collectionist attitude of buying all the expansions (and KS exclusives and promos etc.). So far I'm still on (playing the) base game for most of what I have, but I'm really only a year or so back into the hobby after a long hiatus. I have two expansions that have been played and four that haven't been played yet (compared to four base games that haven't been played yet).

More plays will justify expansions, but it can be difficult to judge if the decision on expansions is made at the same time or soon after purchase of the base game.

Flamme Rouge Peloton is on my wishlist for when it is re-released in May/June. For some other games the remaining expansions are more a case of only buying if the price is right. In some cases the expansion just doesn't appeal (e.g. Flamme Rouge Meteo - great ideas, but I don't think I'll enjoy what they've done / how it will play. I really wanted something that could emulate Quickstep, Lotto Soudal or the like ripping up the peloton in cross-winds).

So a mixed answer from me. Some I'm more than happy to buy, whilst others will get passed over for other games, or until I've played the base game so much that the expansion makes more sense to expand the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirko Cano
France
Nice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a very limited budget for games in my company. In all cases people prefer new games to expansions to games that they already know.
Personally, I buy expansions for the games I love, although I admit that many of them are seldom played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying the anniversary edition of Galaxy Trucker has made me permanently hesitant on buying expansions. Don't get me wrong the expansions for it are decent but they only are valuable to people that have really played the base game a ton. I find that is the case for a lot of games. Most don't make the base game any better unless you have played it so much you are bored with it.

Now there are a couple exceptions. Some games have expansions that fix part of the game or make it more enjoyable. One of those I think is Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. Then also some games benefit from variability that adding expansion gives you such as Summoner Wars or Smash Up. But I have a rule for those that they must be able to fit in the base box. So while expansions of Dominion add variability they don't fit in the base box.

So overall I would rather buy a new game verse buying an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
While I do both, and it comes down to the specific game and the expansion, I put my vote for expansion.

Unlike most players I am not particularly interested in constantly playing new games or trying as many games as possible. I prefer to focus on games (mechanics, themes, etc.) I like, and play each game as much as possible.

The way I see it, buying an expansion can often bring new life to a game I already have (not only objectively, but also psychologically), and therefore bring greater value to the investment you have already made (this is especially true for me, since I rearely get rid or are able to sell old games).

Once more, this greatly depends on the game and the expansion: If there is a new game I really like, for example, I would probably go with the new one, and would rarely buy an expansion for a game I am not really into, or buy every expansion for a game simply because it is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will usually buy a new game as you get a new experience and price wise it might be better value. However, some expansions might do more than add variety to gameplay, some actually improve the playing experience.

For example, I found the Crossroads expansion improved Tokaido for me. Also, I only play the Anachrony base game against the bot, otherwise I have the Pioneers of New Earth expansion that came with the Commander pack.

Of course, the reverse can happen and an expansion does not work for you (for me Venus in TM). I think people can be less careful buying an expansion if it’s for a favourite game, they maybe don’t research/ponder it as much as they would a new game (guilty here).

Still I am glad there are both, a good expansion is as much a joy as a good game to me, even if I buy more of the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Expansions

At this point in my collection, I buy very few new games. 8 over the last 4 years or so. I don't buy many expansions either, but in general I am more intrigued by an expansion for a game that I already know and love (rating 9+) than a new-to-me game that is most likely not going to be amazing. I'm more likely to have opportunities to try new-to-me games that others own than I am to have the opportunity to play an expansion for a game I own and love but no one else owns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
I am with you there. Why pay 60% price of the base game to have 25% of content added in? There are so much more games that bring new things to the table. That's why after my crazy buying up every Dominion expansion phase ended I swear off expansions and just focus on getting new game experience in.

Because frequently I don't want a game that brings something completely new to the table; I want different perspectives on what I already enjoy in games. Sometimes new games offer that, but sometimes expansions are the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Condon-Jones
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
But I have a rule for those that they must be able to fit in the base box. So while expansions of Dominion add variability they don't fit in the base box.

Well, not all of them at once, but you can get a couple of expansions in the base box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Blackford
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have two games I love for which I buy four expansions this year and then go on to buy merely nine other games, even flea market stuff, technically I tend to buy more new games than expansions. I do know someone who went to the extreme to cull off individual games from their collection and just go with ongoing expansions on games that are still active, but that's both unlikely and pretty limiting in my book. I love expansions for the things I love to play but they'll probably never outpace other games I get unless I make some real concerted effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl_S Gamer
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
I prefer new games but sometimes an expansion will look really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's rare for me to find an expansion that is worthwhile. They usually make the game too bloated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some expansions are no good but generally I find it can be easier to add in an expansion to a game everyone already knows how to play than to try and introduce them to a brand new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolkster
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:

Exactly!

The poll should have a 'Both' option.

Depends on what's being published. There's some awesome expansions out there that add a lot of replayabily to games and/or changes how they play. I always buy expansions for my favorite games. Some of my favorites include:

Terraforming Mars: Prelude - speeds up the first 2-3 turns.
Russian Railroads: German Railroads - the best player boards.
Roll for the Galaxy: Rivalry - customizable dice.
Tuscany - brilliant. Love the new building cards, new workers and extra seasons board.
Starcraft: Brood War - makes Starcraft a 9.
Eclipse: Rise of Ancients - extras adds so much to the game.
Voyages Marco Polo: both expansions - add tremendous replayability.
Spirit Island: Brand & Claw - extra spirits are a must.
Castles of Burgandy - extra players boards add variety.
7 Wonders: Armada - Wow! All 6 in the group want to always use it.
Notre Dame: New Persons - triples the variety.
ASL - Code of Bushido and Red Barricades changed the game for me.

I've just recently Kickstarted 3 expansions and 2 new games:

Terraforming Mars: Turmoil
Anachrony: Fractures of Time
Lorenzo: Pazzi Conspiracy

Tainted Grail
On Mars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Black
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
Tigger playing Agricola. He lost!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it’s quite easy to get sucked into buying expansions when you are new to the hobby especially if you have completionist tendencies. My gateway game was Carcassonne and I bought a tonne of expansions. The first couple really added to the game but after that some of them actually made the game worse. Having said that it was quite fun to track them down.

I bought the Journeyman expansion for Isle of Skye and it changed the game so much I actually sold it.

Have never brought an expansion for Catan as they are more expensive than the base game.

Now I would rarely buy an expansion unless I think it is essential or I really like the game. Will buy the Wingspan expansion when it comes out. However, would not consider the other visitor expansions for Viticulture and I don’t even consider Tuscany necessary if you have the essential edition.

I am still a sucker for promos. Although really these are often the poorest value of all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.