Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Johnson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a new press your luck game that's best with two.

I've browsed the press your luck category sorted by rank but nothing stood out immediately, so I'm wondering if I'll get some inspiration by hearing your favorites.

For reference, my three favorite press your luck games are Abyss Capo Dei Capi and Android: Infiltration.

Please let me know some of your favorite press your luck games, especially with two players. If you'd like to provide a brief explanation of why it's your favorite, that would be even better.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 - Port Royal

#2 - Can't Stop (classic game, I find it best with 2 because it limits the downtime)

I also have my eye on Pickomino (which looks like it would kill Farkle) but I have not played it yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
#1 - Port Royal

#2 - Can't Stop (classic game, I find it best with 2 because it limits the downtime)

I also have my eye on Pickomino (which looks like it would kill Farkle) but I have not played it yet

Thanks for the suggestions.

I see Port Royal in my search history. I must have ignored it because it was listed as best with 3-4. Looks like there are a lot of people who like it at two though and not too many 'not recommended' with two.

It's fairly cheap also. Although I think I may pay more to get the old cover art. Not a huge fan of that more realistic one from Steve Jackson Games. At least the card art seems unchanged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feyd414 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I see Port Royal in my search history. I must have ignored it because it was listed as best with 3-4. Looks like there are a lot of people who like it at two though and not too many 'not recommended' with two.

It's fairly cheap also. Although I think I may pay more to get the old cover art. Not a huge fan of that more realistic one from Steve Jackson Games. At least the card art seems unchanged.

I play both Can't Stop and Port Royal on yucata.de (where all games are free). Good implementations of both games there if you want to check them out. I agree with you -- if I get the cardboard version of the game it will not be the Steve Jackson Games version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite push your luck is probably Port Royal. I would say it is better at three players but I have played it a lot at two.

I enjoyed Ra at two but I see you have that already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackmeeple wrote:
My favourite push your luck is probably Port Royal. I would say it is better at three players but I have played it a lot at two.

I enjoyed Ra at two but I see you have that already.

Thanks for giving another recommendation of Port Royal. I'm convinced and I'll be adding it to my next order.

I should also get the chance to try it with more players, but am glad to see people like it at two as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary David
United States
Rancho Santa Margarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dead Man's Draw and Lost Cities: Rivals are quite good at 2. Rivals is very similar to Ra in the auction mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Eskelinen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Defenitely thumbs up for Port Royal. Another one which can be considered is Coloretto for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This weekend I played 2 2-player games of Sub Terra with my nephew and we had a blast. Because we each controlled 2 characters if/when one got knocked out we weren't out of the game until that character could be revived. The game creates an emergent narrative that we talked about a lot after the game.

At first I was rather skeptical about the heavy luck dependency of the game, but it worked really well for making the game simultaneously lighthearted and tense. I really like the press-your-luck in this game.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

This weekend I played 2 2-player games of Sub Terra with my nephew and we had a blast. Because we each controlled 2 characters if/when one got knocked out we weren't out of the game until that character could be revived. The game creates an emergent narrative that we talked about a lot after the game.

At first I was rather skeptical about the heavy luck dependency of the game, but it worked really well for making the game simultaneously lighthearted and tense. I really like the press-your-luck in this game.

~V

Oh, that sounds interesting. I've never heard of this one. I have a bit of a soft spot for The Cave and after a quick glance it looks a bit like that with some horror mixed in. I'll have to take a closer look at the game later, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Stop is a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Dungeon works really well with two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:

Really? Thanks, I'll have to give it a try at two.

I actually have Welcome to the Dungeon and Welcome Back to the Dungeon but have never played either. I was saving them for 3-4 players, but we always ended up playing a different game.

Same thing goes for Lost Cities: Rivals suggested earlier.

Looks like I need to put more effort in to playing some unplayed games in my collection

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why not regular Lost Cities?
There is a fair amount of press your luck in the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feyd414 wrote:
borsook wrote:

Really? Thanks, I'll have to give it a try at two.

I actually have Welcome to the Dungeon and Welcome Back to the Dungeon but have never played either. I was saving them for 3-4 players, but we always ended up playing a different game.

Same thing goes for Lost Cities: Rivals suggested earlier.

Looks like I need to put more effort in to playing some unplayed games in my collection

Welcome to the dungeon with more players is really chaotic while with 2 it is quite tactical game of chicken.

And to the next reply Lost Cities Rivals = Lost Cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We really like port royal two player and it's the only push your luck game I've played where you might want to push your luck too far and go bust on purpose. It took some I played with a couple of games for it to click but they they realise it's a race game and what they need to do and it sped up to become a quick little addictive card game

Edit - does welcome to the dungeon really play well two player. Was always interested in this game but had assumed it wouldn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
We really like port royal two player and it's the only push your luck game I've played where you might want to push your luck too far and go bust on purpose. It took some I played with a couple of games for it to click but they they realise it's a race game and what they need to do and it sped up to become a quick little addictive card game

Edit - does welcome to the dungeon really play well two player. Was always interested in this game but had assumed it wouldn't?

I hope other would chime in, however - I played Welcome to the dungeon with 2,3 and 4 and disliked it with 3/4 - it was very random, there was very little tactics, with 2 you know 50% of the deck so pushing your luck, taking a risk is a viable choice and you still feel there is tactics there, you can bluff (so items are countermeasures to certain monsters, by discarding them you may get your opponent to think that the given monster is out and make them over commit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
SaggyUK wrote:

I hope other would chime in, however - I played Welcome to the dungeon with 2,3 and 4 and disliked it with 3/4 - it was very random, there was very little tactics, with 2 you know 50% of the deck so pushing your luck, taking a risk is a viable choice and you still feel there is tactics there, you can bluff (so items are countermeasures to certain monsters, by discarding them you may get your opponent to think that the given monster is out and make them over commit).

Thanks, yes I can see that now and that it probably plays better - had just assumed because only ever saw larger groups play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CV works well with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trash Pandas is amazing with 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baker
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Deep Sea Adventure
Also, Can't Stop, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Croft
United States
Smithfield
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play 80% of games 2 players only, 2nd Port Royal and CV. I'll add:
Medici: The Card Game Really enjoy, nice art. When you draw, you must take the last card you reveal, and can only choose to take from the 3 most recently revealed cards. So it's an interesting push your luck twist. You may really want the 3rd card, but don't care for the recent card revealed, but you HAVE to take it, but if you draw more you can't choose to take the 3rd card anymore since it will now be the 4th card. And the 'market' stays opened to all other players. So anything you don't take is open for others to take. But your boat maxes out at a certain card capacity. And the # on each cards matters in addition to the good count, cause in a 2 player game whoever has the highest # earns 20 coins for the round. Game is played over 3 rounds.
Herbaceous There is also a dice version that plays differently, Herbaceous Sprouts, but I prefer the simplicity of the card version. The longer the game goes on, the less herbs there will be to make higher valued sets. Cards are removed in a 2 player game, so you may be hunting for herbs that aren't even in the deck. Love this one. Pick up the 3 card mini expansion to add a bit of a kick.
Blossoms, designed for 2 players. It plays quicker than expected, the art is really nice, and it is too easy to get sucked in trying to get more flowers that you wind up busting. Recommend if you're looking for a relaxing game to play with a significant other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can’t Stop and the roll-and-write version Extra! are always good, although I prefer CS with 3 and Extra with as many players as I can get.

Here’s a few that I think are great and may not be commonly thought of as push-your-luck.

Button Men - a super-simple dice game for 2 players only. Pushing your luck is an aspect of good tactical play.

Rallyman - one of the few racing games that is best at low player counts, perfect for 2 or 3. I like how it’s one where each turn you can choose to play it safe (selecting each gear die in turn) or push your luck rolling them all together for a time bonus.

K2 - BGG doesn’t list it as push-your-luck, but that’s a major aspect, since you decide how far to go up the mountain before turning around, knowing you have to survive getting down. I think it plays best with 3, but still pretty good with 2, and imho way way better than Deep Sea Adventure which is a bit similar in that “when to turn around” aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Augustin
Germany
Rehlingen-Siersburg
Rehlingen-Siersburg
flag msg tools
Did no one mention Quacks of Quedlinburg yet? It combines Bag building with a very strong push your luck element and scales very well across player counts. IMO there is a bit of a runaway leader problem, especially if the leader plays very safe, but it's not to bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.