Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Love seeing the tiles of the Green Box rise up in the third dimension

https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/The_Golden_Pyramid

A couple of questions for the rules:

Quote:
Action a) The player plays a card from his hand to buy a designed column from a mason. The number of pips on the card equal the number of cubes he may draw from the bag. He keeps half the cubes (rounded up) and puts the others back in the bag. Alternatively he may pick one cube from the bag that matches the color of the card he has played. A player may only play one card per turn. The card is then discarded. A player may have as many columns as he wants.

I’m confused by the way you switch between “cubes” and “columns”. At first I assumed that a column would consist of several cubes, but having reread the rules I guess the two are basically synonyms. One cube = one column. You should probably stick with one or the other throughout the rules, and “cubes” is probably the easiest to understand.

Quote:
The first level of the pyramid consists of 4 by 4 tiles. To build a tile on the second level a player places his four columns on 4 adjacent quarters of 4 different tiles that have to be connected in a 2 by 2 square and puts the new tile on top of them. The new tile has to lay on all four columns The higher levels are build accordingly. The second level consists of 3 by 3 tiles, the third level of 2 by 2 tiles, and the fourth level of a single tile.

Maybe this goes without saying, but it probably should be said either way: Can you start work on the second level if the first level is incomplete? I mean, do you have to first construct the base with 4x4 tiles before anyone can start on level 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that happens, when you edit stuff in the middle of the night. whistle

Yes, columns are just cubes. With the picture I didn't manage to upload this might become much clearer. And I guess it's already fiddly enough. ninja

And for the second question, the lower levels don't have to be completed. This is also shown on the picture I've prepared for the building/scoring example. The second level isn't completed, but there are already level 3 tiles placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Rukus wrote:

And for the second question, the lower levels don't have to be completed. This is also shown on the picture I've prepared for the building/scoring example. The second level isn't completed, but there are already level 3 tiles placed.

I see, but you still have to complete all levels in the end to be able to build the 4th. I see that your builder can never move down, but I guess you are still allowed to build on lower levels than where you stand. How does this affect this rule:
Quote:
He also loses 1 victory point, if his builder was not on an orthogonally adjacent tile to the new one or one of the tiles where he placed a column.

Do you just consider adjacency from viewing the board as a 2-dimensional space, or does elevation have something to say in this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, for the final level all lower tiles have to be there. If you build a lower level it's not adjacent or connected through a column. If you are already on level 2 and want to build a level 1 tile you basically gain no point. So it's a little bit of a gamble but also a matter of timing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Playtested this today and really enjoyed it. Played with two 11-year-olds and noticed that the game could use a player aid, as I regularly had to repeat the possible actions for each turn and the different calculations for the use of cards (add one and keep three for cards, divide and round up for cubes). Apart from that the game is solid and seems very well balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I agree on the player aid. I usually like it when games have them, as long as they are not entirely straight foreward. There are a few things that are similar but not identical and might get mixed up. I'm not sure if it could be done with just symbols, which would be great. A scoring aid might fit on the backside.

Some of the "more complicated" things are basically due to the balancing, like rounding up etc. I wanted to give the pips on the cards more meaning than just the level you could build. Otherwise people might just keep them 'til the end to be able to build right away. As it is you can cash them in for more resources but might have to wait to use them for building. There still is some luck involved, but you still get to keep 1 thing more with a 4 than with a 1. If you only draw 1s you can't win. So maybe I'll just in case add a backdoor for a hand stuffed with 1s. But for now the rules are as they are. However, for the cubes there is already some kind of backdoor, since you can take one of a specific color or trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Rukus wrote:
If you only draw 1s you can't win. So maybe I'll just in case add a backdoor for a hand stuffed with 1s. But for now the rules are as they are. However, for the cubes there is already some kind of backdoor, since you can take one of a specific color or trade.

Yeah, I forgot about the rule for drawing one specific colour. That would obviously be a good use for 1's, only you will then have to spend the cards that you also need for building the columns. A lot of time was spent trying to get the right colour cards. Maybe you could say that you can use multiple 1's to draw cards? Play three 1's to draw 4 cards and keep 3?

Also: trade didn't happen much. There's limited incentive to trade with other players, as you are usually trying to achieve the same thing. Trade with the market seems a bit expensive, spending two for one and also an entire turn. Maybe try 1 for 1 with the market, and increase the number of cubes available in the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that. It would certainly need a lot of playtests with different groups/players to check if trading among them works as intended. But that'll take a lot of time. Trading is just there to mitigate the randomness of the drawing. And I tried to add a little player interaction. If that, like in your case isn't that interesting or important for players, it might get skipped at all. But it would weaken/affect the "choose one" rule. As I said, optimizing the trading would take way more playtesting than possible in such a short period of time. Nevertheless, it's good to know and I'll have to observe this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Woitek
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started testing and at the first glance it looks good to me. At the moment, there is just one question: Do you prefer the first level's building places to be predefined or may the player's decide, where to lay the tiles as long as all building ends up with a 4x4 foundation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
superudo wrote:
Just started testing and at the first glance it looks good to me. At the moment, there is just one question: Do you prefer the first level's building places to be predefined or may the player's decide, where to lay the tiles as long as all building ends up with a 4x4 foundation?

In the game I played it became a tactical decision where to place tiles in order to lock the grid. We had a 3x4 grid and two players on opposite sides wanting to extend it. So my vote would be to leave it up to the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that there should be a restriction of where to place the fourth tile. Go for strategic building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.