Netherlands
Sassenheim
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conditions of Victory
◆ 6 Medals.
Place a Japanese Objective Medal on the Airfield hex as indicated.
A Japanese unit that captures any Field Bunker, Bunker or Town
hex, or the Airfield hex marked on the board, gains a Victory
Medal. The Medal remains yours as long as you occupy the
corresponding hex.

It says only the Airfield hex starts of with an objective(/victory) medal on it, thus considered to be a temporary objective medal. The other hexes do not start of with a medal on them, but do earn the occupant a victory medal. Would that make it a temporary victory medal? Thus its raises the question if the Field bunker, Bunker or Town hex are considered objectives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
hi
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 49 - WAKE ISLAND - DECEMBER 23, 1941 Victory Conditions?
Dirksk wrote:
Are the Field bunker, Bunker or Town hex not considered objectives?

Each bunker is an objective
Each town is an objective
The marked airfield hex is an objective
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Sietze
Netherlands
Sassenheim
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dannyduck wrote:
Dirksk wrote:
Are the Field bunker, Bunker or Town hex not considered objectives?

Each bunker is an objective
Each town is an objective
The marked airfield hex is an objective

I agree with you, but the victory condition in this scenario isn't clear and i can't find any official rules that specifically state what the right interpretation is. I can only find this quote:

flapjackmachine wrote:
My belief is any medal other than for 'killed' units (air or ground) counts as objectives for campaign purposes. Otherwise the campaign sheets in the book don't make any sense for me. The only way some sides in some campaigns could fill their objective boxes would be if exit medals count. I'm assuming medals gained for shooting down aircraft don't count as 'objectives'.

Thus objectives medals on hexes at the start of a battle or objective medals earned for exiting units count for campaign purposes. But there appears to be a limit on the campaign sheets. It's possible to get more medals (by exiting lots of units) than room exists on the campaign sheet. I guess once the 'boxes' are filled up, that side can't get any more campaign points. At least for the bonus objective points.

...but therein lies a contradiciton to solving my question.

flapjackmachine wrote:
My belief is any medal other than for 'killed' units (air or ground) counts as objectives for campaign purposes ..... thus objectives medals on hexes at the start of a battle or objective medals earned for exiting units count for campaign purposes

The victory medals for Field bunker, Bunker or Town hex do not start on the map for scenario #49.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As Dan said, it is each bunker, each town, and the one marked hex on the airfield.

I don't know that it could be any clearer. They only used the marker to designate which of the hexes count in the airfield. The scenario notes clearly state that if you are on any of the bunkers or any of the towns, you gain a Victory Medal. If you move off of them, they go away.

Typically all objectives are marked, but because only 1 of 3 hexes counts on the airfield, they went a different route visually on this one. But the notes are complete and tell you everything you need to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Sietze
Netherlands
Sassenheim
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just trying to clear this up without pushing anybody the wrong way modest Appreciate the replies!

ColtsFan76 wrote:
As Dan said, it is each bunker, each town, and the one marked hex on the airfield.

I don't know that it could be any clearer. They only used the marker to designate which of the hexes count in the airfield. The scenario notes clearly state that if you are on any of the bunkers or any of the towns, you gain a Victory Medal. If you move off of them, they go away.

Typically all objectives are marked, but because only 1 of 3 hexes counts on the airfield, they went a different route visually on this one. But the notes are complete and tell you everything you need to know.

"As dan said"... That makes it that it couldn't be any clearer? I just have to believe that without knowing the reasoning behind this answer. I'd prefer to know where you got your knowledge from.

ColtsFan76 wrote:
The scenario notes clearly state that if you are on any of the bunkers or any of the towns, you gain a Victory Medal.

The question i am trying to get answered is if that victory medal is considered an objective. For campaign purposes i am having this discussion with a friend and i am trying to find factual evidence that what you guys are saying is true. I am actually on your side on this matter, but he has the same opinion i am using against this thread. Sofar my/ our opinion is not yet factually convinced it is true. Besides that, Dan, you are saying that "Typically all objectives are marked, but just not in this one, because visusally they went another route". So all other scenarios, except this one. That doesn't clear it up in my perspective. Are there other scenario's that went this route?

Basegame Rulesbook wrote:
In some scenarios, additional Medals may be gained from the board map itself, for capturing and holding certain terrain hexes or battlefield objectives.

In the basegame rulebook they differentiate between certain terrain hexes or battlefield objectives. Since the basegame alot of rules have changed, but the reference to victory conditions in Mediterrenean theater and Winter Wars doesn't clear it up (again my perspective).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Jaap Ruigrok
Netherlands
Sassenheim
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question is: is there a difference between an objective medal and a victory medal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dirksk wrote:
"As dan said"... That makes it that it couldn't be any clearer? I just have to believe that without knowing the reasoning behind this answer. I'd prefer to know where you got your knowledge from.

Fair enough. On the other hand, i am not sure what the quote for flapjackmachine has to do with this. I don't know the context or what it was in reference to. He could be 100% right or 100% wrong or somewhere in between.

Quote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
The scenario notes clearly state that if you are on any of the bunkers or any of the towns, you gain a Victory Medal.

The question i am trying to get answered is if that victory medal is considered an objective. For campaign purposes i am having this discussion with a friend and i am trying to find factual evidence that what you guys are saying is true. I am actually on your side on this matter, but he has the same opinion i am using against this thread. Sofar my/ our opinion is not yet factually convinced it is true. Besides that, Dan, you are saying that "Typically all objectives are marked, but just not in this one, because visusally they went another route". So all other scenarios, except this one. That doesn't clear it up in my perspective. Are there other scenario's that went this route?

This was a piece of information that was missing from your OP. I didn't understand why you were trying to make a distinction. It is a Victory Medal. That is what I thought the question was about, and the fact it wasn't marked was what had you hung up.

So let me ask you a question - what is is that you are filling out that makes it a difference? Which campaign is it that uses this scenario?

All Objectives are Victory Medals. Not all Victory Medals are Objectives. Victory medals from eliminating units are not Objective. Victory medals from units the move off the board are not Objective Medals. Objectives are anything on the map that you must secure (whether marked or just stated in the scenario notes). The rules for these I think are best summarized in Winter Wars. In that book it is the hex or hexes that are important.

I don't have all the scenarios memorized to tell you what does or doesn't have similar markings. Having just introduced this game to my son over the weekend, I know that both objectives are marked in Pegasus Bridge. I thought in scenarios with airfields that this convention was used because only 1 hex of 3 or 4 counted. Maybe this is a one off, not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Altuvaro
msg tools
Since there's no definition in any rule book for something called a Temporary Victory Medal and there is such a thing defined as a Temporary Objective Medal, and since the 4 medals in the scenario you mentioned fit the definition of Temporary Objective Medal, I would say that's what they are.

What campaign are you playing that includes this? A home-cooked one? It's not part of Island Hoppers from CB2 or any other official one I can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.