Spirit Island» Forums » Variants

Subject: Spirit Panel Play Side - Template File! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lacko
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
(Eric: I agree to the terms for creating Spirit Island game elements set forth in the FAQ.)

Hi everyone!

I'm very happy to be able to share with you my template file for making your own spirit panels!
You can find the link to the template file here.

It's a four part zip file (partitioned due to file size upload restrictions) and contains the following:
- an svg file, which is the main template file.
- four zip files with free fonts that were used in the template file.
- a README.txt file with a more detailed description of how the svg file was constructed, and tips on how to use it.

This template took me a while to make, but hopefully that means that the time required for you to go from template file to finished spirit panel should be pretty short.
I made the entire thing in Inkscape, so you'll probably need a very basic knowledge of how the program works, but to be honest, I'm not very experienced myself in graphics editing software and I already got this far.

The goal of the template file was to mimic all symbols/fonts used on official spirit island spirit boards as closely as possible.
The empty template file looks like this:

Additional layers containing symbols and text (font) information are included, so the entire template file looks like this:

In order to demonstrate what's possible using my template, I reproduced the spirit board of "Simplicity Deals With Things Directly", a fan made spirit by pmagnus which can be found here.
Here is an image of the spirit board he previously made, which already was a very nice job:

Here is what I was able to recreate using my template file:

The svg file replicating Simplicity is also available here. Remark that the top image isn't update to date concerning spirit mechanics, which explains the differences in special rule/innate power.

The good news is that making this spirit board only took me approximately 1 hour, starting from my template file!
The reason for this is that my template contains a lot of common symbols found on spirit boards, which means most of the work just comes down to finding the exact symbols you need, duplicating them, and then correctly aligning them on the board. All these tasks are very easy to do, by using the "Objects" and "Align and Distribute" sidebars in Inkscape.
Arguably, the most time consuming parts are:
1) Finding/drawing/... decent artwork for the spirit.
2) Using filters of whatever to create the background effects found behind the presence tracks and spirit name.
These two tasks weren't included in the one hour I mentioned above, and what I probably won't be able to help anyone with either...

I hope this template encourages more people to make their own spirit ideas and boards and share them with the community!
If you have any questions, shoot!
If you're out of spirit ideas, here is a link to a list of all the fan made spirit ideas that have been posted on this forum to date.

I hope to getting around to making template files for the flip side of the spirit board and for unique power cards, but I can't make any promises.

Cheers!

Edit: all links are now correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Citrus Rhino
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is awesome
Ive been waiting for something like this to pop up, but I never expected a template to look this good.
Fantastic work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix the Lobsterous Languste
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mb
It is awesome, amazingly done! Exactly what I was looking for to work with in the future (: Already have some things in mind...

And it would be so cool to also have a template for the backside of the Spirit's panels, and for the Spirit-specific power cards (both front and back). Then the whole template collection would be done!

I am really looking forward to use it, big thanks again c:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.