8 Posts

El Grande Big Box» Forums » General

Subject: 4/5p vs 3p? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Deep
msg tools
mb
I've heard El Grande plays poorly at 2. I finally got it to the table but at 3 players. The game went fairly well, but it seemed like there was rarely much tension. One player remarked that the action cards were never a very tough choice, and that they always managed to go first and grab the card they needed when they needed it. Plus, some regions were easy to invade, without any competition almost all game.

Do these problems come up less at 4 and 5? I was a little disappointed in our first play and would like to reassure everyone that the game improves at the highest player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people agree that El Grande is excellent with five, good with four and only average with three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike A
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I am generally full of shit.
badge
Some watery tart threw a sword at me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there ever a good variant for 3-player, such as blocking off certain areas or options?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there has never been a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sh4mike wrote:
Was there ever a good variant for 3-player, such as blocking off certain areas or options?

A good 3-player variant is to just play China instead. It is an excellent area control game that plays best at 3. It's being reprinted as Iwari with a few rules changes sometime this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it the game excels at 4-5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Deep
msg tools
mb
Thanks! I am waiting until Iwari is out to read the post-KS reviews from SVWAG and others. It looks gorgeous. So if the reviews are favorable, it's a no-brainer. Especially for the solo mode, which almost no other area majority has but Root's better bot project and COIN games showed us could work. Might get China in the meantime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande is for 4 or 5 players. For 3, see if you can hunt down a copy of San Marco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.