Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question applies to the Second Edition of 1824

What is a realistic estimate of how long it would take to play 1824 with a group of players who are NOT expert or optimal 18XX players. I am especially interested to see how this would compare to Poseidon and 18Lilliput, two of Lonny's faster games. How much longer would it take to play 1824 than it would take to play Poseidon or 18Lilliput for a group that plays Poseidon and 18Lilliput in approx. 3-3.5 hours? (play time only, not rule explanation). How much longer would it take to play 1842 than 1846 for a group that plays 1846 in approx. 3.5-4 hours? What are some of the design reasons for the increased playtime (assuming experienced players who understand rules and can read the game status)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess that 1824 (after the first play) will take about 1.6 times as long at Lilliput or Poseidon, and 1.4 times as long as 1846.

So, for your group, about 5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Eric. I was hoping that the train rush and "export" mechanism, similar to Poseidon and 18Chesapeake, would help speed up the game. What are some of the reasons for the longer playlength?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's different in each case (Poseidon, Lilliput, 1846.) I'm just commenting on my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Eric Brosius wrote:
So, for your group, about 5 hours.

I'd pad that a bit more. 5 hours is quite reasonable, but so is 6 hours in such a setting.

luigicool wrote:
What are some of the reasons for the longer playlength?

Mostly additional mechanisms and concerns and implications for the players to manage during the course of the game. 1824 is a game in which every player action creates openings and opportunities for the other players, especially as regards track placement and capital allocation or movement, and quite rightly those should be assessed and considered during the course of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.