4 Posts

Paths of Glory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question Forts and Terrain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Lloyd
England
flag msg tools
When a fort is in mountains (there are four such spaces) does the fort get the benefit of the terrain if defending without other friendly units.

I think so. I cannot find any rule reference that directly addresses this but 15.2.5 indicates desert terrain effects prevent summer attacks on forts and 15.1.6 indicates a trench has no effect for a fort defending alone. This seems to imply terrain can effect the defence of forts on their own.

Sorry if this has come up before I have looked but may have missed something.

Naturally it has come up on Turn 20 and might influence the outcome of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Since there's nothing specific about lonely forts in 12.2.8 I agree that terrain effects apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lloyd
England
flag msg tools
Yes 12.2.8 was an opportunity to say it was a special case.

Let us see if anyone disagrees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RSLloyd wrote:
When a fort is in mountains (there are four such spaces) does the fort get the benefit of the terrain if defending without other friendly units.

Yes.

Rule 12.2.8 states (emphasis mine in bold):

Quote:
Each player finds his Combat Strength on the appropriate Fire Table and shifts a number of columns depending upon the Terrain Effects of the defending space (terrain and trench effects are cumulative) to determine his Fire Column. Column shifts cannot cause the Fire Column to be off the Army/ Corps/Fort Tables; if the column shifts would take the Fire Column above the rightmost or below the leftmost column, any additional shifts are ignored.

These columns shifts apply to all units and forts in the space, except Forts cannot benefit from a Trench if no units are in the space:

Quote:
15.1.6 Forts without friendly units in their space may never be the target of a Flank Attack or benefit from any trench in their space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.