Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Middara» Forums » General

Subject: The Empowerment Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished crawl 1 and I felt like by the time I was finishing the third encounter, as I limped broken and battered to the exit, that the variability of the outcomes from the attack dice rolls was pretty wild, and that the empowerment dice made it much worse.

After trying it for 3 encounters, I'm not sure I'm going to use it much for anyone but Rook (who gets it free and maybe not even then) and Remi with the Bow of Justice. It just seems like too high a risk.

I'm considering what house rule I might make to reduce the skull result to less than 1/6. I was curious if I was the only one who wanted to crush that black die into dust by the end of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
Dungeon Crawler
badge
Ventas Fulmino!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to empower all of Nightingale's attacks and gore shots and through the entire MAST; I only rolled a skull once (of course it was on a Gore Shot and she took 3 damage).

I replaced the Warhammers on Rook after the Mast and gave him a 1-hand crossbow and Shield, he only hit with the hammers one time the entire MAST.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigvolfan82bg wrote:
I had to empower all of Nightingale's attacks and gore shots and through the entire MAST; I only rolled a skull once (of course it was on a Gore Shot and she took 3 damage).

I replaced the Warhammers on Rook after the Mast and gave him a 1-hand crossbow and Shield, he only hit with the hammers one time the entire MAST.



Certain characters NEED the empowerment die (because Rook is an underperformer and it might be the only way he does ANY damage and he gets 2 free). Certain weapons (like the Bow of Justice) requires 5 shields and how do you do that without the Empowerment die?

But if you're just rolling a regular attack, even if you don't roll the skull you might roll 4 books (useless for me) or 1 shield (mostly useless) and the chances of a good outcome are actually pretty small. Ditto with dodging really. Zeke's reroll mitigates that some.

But I started the crawl thinking it was something you did if you had the SP but now I think this is terribly wrong.

I almost feel like for weapon attacks, I'd rather substitute a purple die for the empowerment die, though it might be too powerful. Or if you roll a skull you roll again and if you get a skull again, it sticks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Try using different weapons on Rook. Dual Warhammer ain't that great.

You'll soon see that he doesn't need the Empowerment Die. No character does. Gear isn't tied to a certain characters. ;)
Nothing stops you from going Caster/Dual Crossbows or 2H Long Sword on Rook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenris Fenrir

Friedrichshafen
msg tools
When i use the empowerment die, i make sure that the character using it has the Courage buff on him. With that, the die is 4 more damage if it isn´t a skull.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
Dungeon Crawler
badge
Ventas Fulmino!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
bigvolfan82bg wrote:
I had to empower all of Nightingale's attacks and gore shots and through the entire MAST; I only rolled a skull once (of course it was on a Gore Shot and she took 3 damage).

I replaced the Warhammers on Rook after the Mast and gave him a 1-hand crossbow and Shield, he only hit with the hammers one time the entire MAST.



Certain characters NEED the empowerment die (because Rook is an underperformer and it might be the only way he does ANY damage and he gets 2 free). Certain weapons (like the Bow of Justice) requires 5 shields and how do you do that without the Empowerment die?

But if you're just rolling a regular attack, even if you don't roll the skull you might roll 4 books (useless for me) or 1 shield (mostly useless) and the chances of a good outcome are actually pretty small. Ditto with dodging really. Zeke's reroll mitigates that some.

But I started the crawl thinking it was something you did if you had the SP but now I think this is terribly wrong.

I almost feel like for weapon attacks, I'd rather substitute a purple die for the empowerment die, though it might be too powerful. Or if you roll a skull you roll again and if you get a skull again, it sticks.


I think Remi's War Axe would work well empowered because you can pretty much use any of the symbols. I have not gotten to the Bow you mentioned yet. I did empower Rooks hammers and still only hit with them once, I agree with most that they are underpowered.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Early on the value of the power up die is hard to see or even evaluate. Wait till you are mid to late game and you are looking for lots of triggers. At that point you are either spending with the anticipation of a big return or you are getting it for free. It's just hard to get a worthy return early on the power up die in general.

I have to agree about Rook. The hammers do more to hurt him in the MAST then help him simple from the loss of movement. On our second and subsequent runs through the game we create our own packages to give new players more variety.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
...
I have to agree about Rook. The hammers do more to hurt him in the MAST then help him simple from the loss of movement. On our second and subsequent runs through the game we create our own packages to give new players more variety.


Swapping an identically priced Morningstar seems to work very well for Rook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.